Kamae

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I have been having trouble "maintaining" Kamae when I move from one position in a technique to another... Like moving from a natural stance into say Ichimonji no kamae goes fine, but as I execute the technique and need to adjust into, say, jumonji, I find my footwoork gets garbled and my kamae becomes sloppy... I can still execute the technique, but its not "RIGHT"

Anyone have any advice on maintaing the proper footwork and stances when moving thru a technique? My instructor just tells me to be aware and it will come with practice, but I feel like I need to be able to practice it better, so I learn it correctly...

Ideas?

Deaf

Green Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by Technopunk
I have been having trouble "maintaining" Kamae when I move from one position in a technique to another... Like moving from a natural stance into say Ichimonji no kamae goes fine, but as I execute the technique and need to adjust into, say, jumonji, I find my footwoork gets garbled and my kamae becomes sloppy... I can still execute the technique, but its not "RIGHT"

Anyone have any advice on maintaing the proper footwork and stances when moving thru a technique? My instructor just tells me to be aware and it will come with practice, but I feel like I need to be able to practice it better, so I learn it correctly...

Ideas?

Sanshin Sanshin and more Sanshin. Try doing so from different kamae...i.e ichimonji, jumonji, doko no, etc. Try doing so in a line drill...i.e walking down a line from point a to point b. No reason to try and stay stationary.

If you think about it..Sanshin starts out in seiza, moves to ichimonji no kamae and then into jumonji no kamae or ichimonji again and then finally back into ichimonji. You can replace the first and last steps with a different kamae to "experiment" with it.

Another drill is to simple just stand there and then move from one kamae to another smoothly. Be sure to stay in each kamae for about a minute to feel it then move onto another kamae. Once you get this down a bit, start reducing the time spent in each kamae and speed up the transition from one kamae to another. I believe Hatsumi Sensei worked on a drill much like this within a video that I saw. One person in the middle of a ring of about 5 people or so. One person clapped their hands and the person in the middle moved into a kamae facing that person. Then they did it from kneeling as well. GREAT drill...!

I find that many people have problems going from one kamae to another mainly due to incorrect kamae posture and flexed knees. Plus try to envision the start of the technique in one kamae and then the ending of the technique in another kamae.

All in all, your instructor is correct. It takes mat time and awarreness about how your body is moving. Some techniques, a particular kamae may actually defeat the purpose so be aware of how your body is feeling and reacting and your uke body is reacting.

I hope this helps a little bit for you.

OP
Cryozombie

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by Deaf

Another drill is to simple just stand there and then move from one kamae to another smoothly. Be sure to stay in each kamae for about a minute to feel it then move onto another kamae. Once you get this down a bit, start reducing the time spent in each kamae and speed up the transition from one kamae to another. I believe Hatsumi Sensei worked on a drill much like this within a video that I saw. One person in the middle of a ring of about 5 people or so. One person clapped their hands and the person in the middle moved into a kamae facing that person. Then they did it from kneeling as well. GREAT drill...!

That drill does sound great, I am going to try that! Thanks!

J

Jill666

I'm having the same trouble. And since I've learned the art of incessant drilling from Karate- well, those legs feel funny. My instructor says the same thing, practice, and keep moving. Go slow, and it will become natural.

Ending up in good kamae is easy most of the time, and the stances sure wake up the inner thighs (and NOT in that good way) but I don't move correctly. :cuss: It's very frustrating, as losing your kamae means going for an unscheduled roll. :shrug:

On the plus side, my rolls have improved markedly.

Jay Bell

Master Black Belt
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Kamae no Kata...

Moving from Kamae to Kamae while remaining in kamae in-between. Make sure your posture, awareness and "kamae" are alive throughout the movements.

Pervaz

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Another suggestion is that when moving from one kamae to another kamae - you can still use middle kamae.

Best if I use an example - I have been hit on the head a bit tooo hard today.

Start from seiza, move to an ichimonji, move to a seiza for a split second before you move to hira, move to seiza for a split second before you move to a jumonji.

Another thing is the flexability of your hips and knees - especially for new beginners it is difficult to properly execute an ichmonji without moving from kamae to kamae.

Remember that breathing for each kamae and the 'feelings' for each kamae should bring you to another kamae without any problems.

Hope that hasnt confused you much !