Hoko no kamae, legalities, and other considerations

Shogun

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
In fact in Hatsumi Sensei book way of the ninja he talks about three kamae
I have moved on from refering to any of Hatsumi's books or DVDs. Every time someone brings up something from one of them, unless they are a high ranked Bujinkan member, they misinterpret it.
Uhm, bobi no kamae is done with clenched fists.

Would you mind letting us in on what you understand of the concept tate ni suru?
Or showing. My motto is "Too many name, not enough Game". I'd rather see it.

Mickey Mullins

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Gina

I guess thats what I like about To-Shin Do after being a police officer, I realise that these classical postures just make it look like you are the trouble maker,
I guess if one looks at kamae as POSTURE:) this would be so.I try to train with no posture while retaining my kamae:idunno: .

Originally Posted by Gina
But we do realise that beginners will need some kind of posture to start from, hence we have this open handed ichimonji which we call bobi no kamae and a type of Hoko no kamae with the hands open at chest level
Bobi isn't Ichimonji nor Ichimonji, Bobi.Two different Ryu-ha there friend.If SKH is so original why bastardize the names?Anywhaaa.......

Nimravus wrote:
Uhm, bobi no kamae is done with clenched fists.
This is rather insignificant,as I cant clench my fists if I'm holding 2-3 kodachi or pulling tetsuban from my obi.Now the eyes:uhyeah: ,thats a different story.

Don Roley wrote:
I don't think any feeling is neccesarily found in any kamae. That seems to be a leftover from the early stuff by SKH. In Japan, you use the tools you have and don't try to make a stance fit any type of feeling.
You mean I'm not supposed to feel like an angry bear while I'm in Hokonokamae!???!:rolleyes:

Mickey Mullins

Grey Eyed Bandit

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Mickey Mullins said:
Nimravus wrote:This is rather insignificant,as I cant clench my fists if I'm holding 2-3 kodachi or pulling tetsuban from my obi.Now the eyes:uhyeah: ,thats a different story.
Schhhhhh! Don't mention traditional Japanese weapons, we're discussing teh str337 here if you don't mind!!:lol2:

OP
Don Roley

Don Roley

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
This article by a couple of friends of mine should be required reading for people in this thread.

It is just damn good common sense. But I am sure that many people responding here will look at it and feel that they knew what was being said, but just could not put it into words as well.

So I think that using hoko to back off in case the other guy tries to take a parting shot is a good one. Not standing there arguing with the guy while in hoko- that would be fighting if it came to blows. And certainly not trying to sucker punch the other guy.

But if you are in the body posture while moving away, I think people will be better able to tell the police that you were not a part of the problem. That of course goes all out the window if you talk about the guy's mother or sexual preferences while doing so.

One saying from the police goes like this, you can't make a bad shoot good, but you can certainly make a good one bad. In defending yourself, you need to not only get home in one piece, but with as little legal trouble as possible.

Latest Discussions