"What ninjutsu wants to be"

Deaf

Green Belt
Reaction score
oh this dude has been around for a while. Exactly what the hell he is teaching...well it says ninJITsu!

enough said hombre!

~Deaf~

theletch1

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Modern American Ninjitsu (M.A.N)? What an acronym, and he managed to put something in about a ninja turtle in the same paragraph. Notice the "ninja store" is the second bullet in the text. You don't think he is only interested in the money do ya?

Travel and training martial arts tour!!! See the magnificent american south west with all of it's ninja heritage!! O.K., I'm not a ninjitsu practitioner but I don't ever recall hearing that the ninja had anything to do with New Mexico and Arizona. Maybe they've just been using those "secret" invisibility techniques to stay hidden all these years.:rofl:

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Yeah yeah... I know who these guys are...

Their only redeeming quality IMHO, is that the overpriced Ninja Uniforms they sell are some of the coolest ones I have seen availible.

Althogh looking at the store now, he seems to have modifed the Ninja uniform he HAD and now its a MARTIAL SCIENCE Tshirt style top, not like the one of him in the little pic at the top... Dunno... maybe if I dig deeper he still sells the old one...

OP
C

Chuck

Hmmm. Home study Ninjitsu. That sounds too good to be true.

OP
T

TLH3rdDan

wow so i can be a ninjitsu instructor in just 24 lessons wow i never knew it was that easy and only 299.99 wow cant pass this deal up... and talk about a cool style name tew ryu it even ryhmes... im impressed cant wait to get my CDs and my 10% discount

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by Chuck

Yeah, maybe someday when I have learned all I can of Ninjutsu Ill start learning the infinatley more deadly Ninjitsu... From these guys, Ashida Kim, and others like them.

Bujingodai

Black Belt
Reaction score
I have corresponded with Rick Tew on a few occasions. Not sure I would call what he does Ninjutsu by description. More executive arts for weekend warriors. Rick has a rather pricey yet full cirriculum. His students that I have seen are pretty well done machines, they are trained rigorously and put to the edge and back. Lots of cardio, stretching, wilderness, acrobatics and choreography. Super Chambara if you will, as for actual ability not sure. I don't think he is a joke of a martial artist but I do see the Ninja thing as being used for marketing purposes. Rick has one of the best promo CRROMS I have ever seen. I would take his camp if I had the cash or the time, or if I was trying out for an olympic gymnastics team. The course for 6 months or so live in is about 3000 bucks USD. I believe.

Deaf

Green Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by Bujingodai
Rick has one of the best promo CRROMS I have ever seen. I would take his camp if I had the cash or the time, or if I was trying out for an olympic gymnastics team. The course for 6 months or so live in is about 3000 bucks USD. I believe.

I rather take that money and stay in Japan for awhile :) Seems like a better investment and a jolly good beatin time!

~Deaf~

OP
L

Lawman9

This guy sounds like an entreprenauer instead of a martial artist. Oh well, to each his own.

Kennedy_Shogen_Ryu

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I honestly don't know which is the greater tragedy, the fact that people like this guy, Frank Dux, Ashida Kim etc etc will make offers that re out of this world/borderline ridiculous or that people will buy into them believing that a couple weekends of training will turn them into a tried and true ninja warrior *sigh*

Masshiro

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
isnt Frank Dux the character VanDamn played in BloodSport?

ElfTengu

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I remember years ago, in the days of dial-up before broadband, it took all day to download the Tew Ryu Promo, and boy was I disappointed.

The flying kicks from rock to rock would have looked cool to the average 14-year-old but other than that, apart from keeping people active there is little of merit to it.

I am actually surprised in these days of ninjutsu having such a bad press, that people aren't turning their backs on the name 'ninjutsu/ninjitsu' and moving onto something more commercially viable like MMA, or inventing Bolivian Jiu Jitsu (Bolivia is next door to Brazil, do you see what I did there?)

I mean, if real ninjutsu is becoming widely regarded as useless rubbish in the wider martial arts community, then the fake versions are really up against it!

Having said that, there are now plenty of fake MMA gyms out there too, so nobody is immune. Imitation may be the sincerest form of flattery but it sure is annoying.

fightingpower

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I saw a home study course in COMBAT magazine the other day and that had picturesof Hatsumi Sensei and was advertising home study BUJINKAN. Surely this can't be right. I always had an image of him being relatively authentic. Not knowing much about Ninjitsu I could be wrong. I read Steven K Hayes book years ago and seemed like a good traditionalist?

Chris Parker

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Oh boy. I might just jump on this before some of the more impassioned get on board.

A few Bujinkan instructors have produced "Home Study" courses, most notably Richard Van Donk Shihan (15th Dan, for the record), however I would be very surprised to find one from Hatsumi Sensei. More likely it is someone using an image of Hatsumi to show the validity of their offer, here's Hatsumi, I'm a real member, this is all good kind of thing.

By and large, though, home study courses are considered a (VERY) poor substitute for real education under a certified and qualified teacher. They are really a last resort if there is no way you can get to a real school. Oh, and you may notice that Chucks orginal post was quite a while ago.

As for Stephen Hayes, that has been an issue in the Bujinkan for a little while now. Hayes was the first American to study in Japan and return to teach in the West (for the record, though, not the first Western student in Japan, nor even the first American student. That would be a young Terry Dobson with an even younger Ellis Amdur accompanying him, and Doron Navon of Israel being the first Westerner). However, Hayes has been gradually moving further and further from the teachings of the Bujinkan mainstream, forming his Toshindo organisation, and having fewer trips to Japan. As a result of these and other circumstances, his 10th Dan plaque was publically taken down at the Hombu Dojo a while ago, with his status in the Bujinkan suffering (to put it lightly).

While Hayes was a very good introduction to the art (many of us came to Ninjutsu through him, and other books such as the one by Andy Adams), a great deal of what was written was Hayes' personal interpretation, and things such as the emphasis on Mikkyo etc. are simply not fucused on by the Japanese. So read the books, take them as another perspective, but bringing his name up with Bujinkan members will not gain much credibilty I am afraid.

The most common line you will get is that to learn, you need to go to a Bujinkan school, and learn from a Bujinkan teacher. I would say that you can go and learn from anyone you want, but for Ninjutsu the teacher/organisation needs to be able to demonstrate a history including Hatsumi at some point. For Bujinkan, you need Bujinkan, but for Ninjutsu, you also have Genbukan, Jinenkan, and other split-off groups.

Hope this helps a bit, trying to avoid the (sometimes) angry responses some names can ellicit...

PS Just re-read your post, and had to go to this "(in reference to Hatsumi Sensei) I always had an image of him being relatively authentic." Yeah, he's pretty authentic. In fact, he is the holder of the only recognised lineages of Ninjutsu left in Japan by the Japanese government. Others, such as Tanemura Sensei, also hold Mastership and higher in the same or related lineages, but as far as I know, Hatsumi Sensei is still the only one recognised. So, yes, authentic is definately the word.

Last edited:

fightingpower

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Yea,

You don't have to convince me that home study is bad. My whole point was that I was suprised to see this master attached to this shambles of an idea. I think Ninjitsu suffers from an eccentric view that isn't true when you have a good look at it. Was just curious about that so popped in, no offence intended. I am aJapanese stylist and appreciate Ninja Arts from what I have seenquite immpresive. Its a shame there are so many unacredited styles/instructors it makes it hard for the begginer to have a real look at the style, wouldn't you agree?

Just wacthed some of the pretty immpresive videos from U tube while I was here also, not bad. Nice Ju-jutsu style take downs. An unusual style to watch.

Oh and you are also correct I just looked and it is that 'Donk' guy. I take it he is somebody to be avoided?

Bruno@MT

Senior Master
Reaction score
Oh boy. I might just jump on this before some of the more impassioned get on board.

:popcorn:

By and large, though, home study courses are considered a (VERY) poor substitute for real education under a certified and qualified teacher. They are really a last resort if there is no way you can get to a real school.

Additionally, DVDs and books are used in some systems (Genbukan) as a training aid. But this is always in conjunction with training under a real teacher.

PS Just re-read your post, and had to go to this "(in reference to Hatsumi Sensei) I always had an image of him being relatively authentic." Yeah, he's pretty authentic. In fact, he is the holder of the only recognised lineages of Ninjutsu left in Japan by the Japanese government. Others, such as Tanemura Sensei, also hold Mastership and higher in the same or related lineages, but as far as I know, Hatsumi Sensei is still the only one recognised. So, yes, authentic is definately the word.

Tanemura sensei and Manaka sensei received their menkyo kaiden in Togakure ryu from Hatsumi sensei himself.

In case of Tanemura sensei, there is also the lineage via Fukumoto sensei.
But regardless of that special circumstance, is there a reason why Tanemura sensei and Manaka sensei would not automatically be recognized as authentic ninjutsu masters through their menkyo kaiden from Hatsumi sensei?