Training log.

Chris Parker

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Chris, can you suggest any knee pads that might be available in USA? I bought a pair from walmart and they are so poorly made. They only have one support strap and wont stay put on my knees.

I just got mine from a martial arts store... no straps, they just get pulled up around the knees. Mine are kinda like these: http://www.sportsauthority.com/product/index.jsp?productId=11365582&view=grid

You mention the knees are not really used during the rolls. But it seams like at some point, you flow over your knees, as you move out of the roll? Maybe its just that im at the newbie stage of the rolls.

Depends on how the rolls are done. In many cases, you end up on one knee (half-kneel), but it should be a gentle settling on the knee, not a slam. In the Jinenkan, for example, they typically train to always end up on their feet already, so there are different ways of doing things. But you don't roll over your knees... they should be tucked into your body, ideally.

OP
K

Kframe

Black Belt
Reaction score
Well part of my issue is I cant tuck them in very far. I have 90lbs in the way yet.. So it looks like a hell of a lot of problems are going to be solved when I get thinner. IRL its not a huge problem. If I end up having to use a roll in real life, it will likely save me greater injury. Skinned knees, or slightly banged knees are acceptable until I loose the weight. It Is not perfect, but with time it will be ok.

OP
K

Kframe

Black Belt
Reaction score
Personal log.

A feeling of frustration bordering on anger has started to creep in over the last week and half. I enjoy what I have done so far, and like what I have seen. My problem is I am not getting enough instruction. With his job putting him a 24hour schedule and the assistant instructor unable to get to town in time for the basic beginner class, but can make it for the regular class that comes after. I only get 45mins of training with my instructor once a week. I can only do so much on my own, I have still struggling to do the aruki tsuki drills correctly as they require a series of simultaneous foot and hand movements. Training my self is problematic, as I have ADD and it takes me many reps with a instructor guiding me before I a able to do it my self at home. He has a beginner hand book of things that must be mastered before promotion to the next grade. Which is important for me so I can actually get regular training more then once a week.

Out of the entire book, only things I have a barest of grips on is the basic forward punch drill and San Shin no Kata and side rolls.. The rest are a lil more complex and I need more time with him before Im skilled enough to train them at home. (talking about the aruki tsuki drills)

It took me 3 months to get my schedule changed so I could make it to the original class schedule with 3 beginner class's a week. Only for it to change on the day I go to sign up and him to drop the vary beginner class's I changed my schedule to attend.

I don't want to be "that guy" when/if I ever get promoted at the regular class and have crappy basics. Ill talk to him but I honestly don't think there is anything he can do about it. His schedule is set and likely wont change. Ill tell him my feelings but, I don't know what good it will do.

Im mad because I want to really explore and dig into this art. However, I need more training, I enjoy my self so much better when I have a full training schedule.

I don't want to quit, but if after I talk to him and if nothing can change, I'm going to consider it. I need more time on the mats, not less. I want to develop into something. I am so tired of every dojo I train at falling under. Both of them so far have gone out of business.. I'm tired of dojo hopping. It seams in this case, that its not going any were but because of travel issue(assistant instructor) and work schedules(main instructor) I'm going to be getting far less instruction then what my tuition is paying for.

I just feel Im getting the short end of the stick. I Hope I can continue in this art, but I cant just spend the next year doing 45mins a week with the instructor.

God dang it, looks like I need to think about back up schools to attend.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Given the change in structure, perhaps he'll modify the requirements and let you begin attending the regular class sooner?

OP
K

Kframe

Black Belt
Reaction score
I don't think so. He has stated that these things must be done to a acceptable level before you can attend the regular class. As I said ill talk to him but I don't foresee much change.

OP
K

Kframe

Black Belt
Reaction score
Just wanted to add this. Attending the regular class right now would be pointless. I have watched them and he is correct. In order to ever be able to do anything they are doing you need to have the beginner stuff down pat. Lots of rolling and other things that have to be done, and I am not good enough at them. Hence my frustration over not enough training time.

OP
K

Kframe

Black Belt
Reaction score
I guess there is no point in quitting. Im not happy about having to bumble my own way through some things on my own, but if that's what it takes then ill bumble on till I can attend the regular class. I just feel this could be going faster.

Chris parker, looking forward to your PM sir.

KydeX

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Don't quit. That 'll definitely get you nowhere. I understand your frustration, but stick with it and you will get there.

I don't understand why your teacher won't let you join the regular class though. At my school, which is also Bujinkan, beginners can join if they want to. They will get the same instruction as the others, nothing more, nothing less. I don't really see the problem in that.

Sent from my C6903 using Tapatalk

OP
K

Kframe

Black Belt
Reaction score
Its more about the things I cant do yet, and how it would affect the teaching of the class to the others.. I cant roll reliably yet, and I cant do any of the Aruki tsuki drills yet. I would be a hindrance to the class right now. Ya im going to stick it out, but still frustrated and would love more beginner class's.

OP
K

Kframe

Black Belt
Reaction score
Possibly stupid question here. Im going to be getting my mats soon from Costco. About how much space should I clear in my living room for rolling in all directions? I can move the furniture easily so I need a good square footage measurement.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Its more about the things I cant do yet, and how it would affect the teaching of the class to the others.. I cant roll reliably yet, and I cant do any of the Aruki tsuki drills yet. I would be a hindrance to the class right now. Ya im going to stick it out, but still frustrated and would love more beginner class's.

Still -- talk to your teacher. He might be able to hook you up with another student to practice and improve faster... or decide that it's worth having you come to the regular class and work in a corner alone for a bit. I don't personally run a beginner/advanced class. I teach one class, and pull new students off to the side until they're up to speed.

Possibly stupid question here. Im going to be getting my mats soon from Costco. About how much space should I clear in my living room for rolling in all directions? I can move the furniture easily so I need a good square footage measurement.

How much space do you need to roll? Ideally, you should be able to control the space of your rolls to a certain extent so as to take up more or less space based on what's available to you or your goals. Being able to do a wonderful roll in 8 feet might be a bad thing if there's a wall 6 feet away.... and I've been known to use a roll to close distance on someone and come at them in a really unexpected direction.

OP
K

Kframe

Black Belt
Reaction score
Part of the reason is how class's are structured. The advanced class is 1.5 hours long They run through the 45min beginner stuff in around 25minutes.. A brisk pace. Then depending on the class make up its some thing from the Ten Chi Jin for the kyu belts, or if its a class with only black belts, then its what ever they are doing at their level at that time.

Since most everything is a partnered exercise having me in that class when I can only craw through them at slow speed will slow it down to much. At least that's my opinion on why its segregated.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Not questioning how he runs his class; it's HIS class, and HIS material to teach. Just saying that's not how I teach MY class. Chris may do something different with his, and Brian yet another something different. But if you talk about your concerns with your teacher, he has an opportunity to help you address them, rather than have you silently frustrated and fuming. There's a difference between going to your instructor, and asking "How can I catch up faster?" and complaining or demanding "find time to teach more beginner classes!"

Hatsie

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Kframe, I hear what your saying and honestly I think it's time your teacher did!
Your keen as mustard and have made personal sacrifices in changing schedules around only to have the rug ripped from under you.

Arrange to meet him. Lay your cards out on the table, explain clearly and in detail, what you have and haven't done to make his original timetable. Bottom line your a 'serious student' I'll be very surprised if he stone walls you. Even if your allowed to attend the class, participate in what you can and practice away in a corner on your own with his syllabus and occasional correction.
Where's the harm there ? Your not in the way or being 'that guy' ie. goofy uncoordinated uke with two left feet :D. And even if you were, where the beneavolent heart?

good luck

OP
K

Kframe

Black Belt
Reaction score
Im going to talk to him. Im far less angry then I was when I posted. Im going to be respectful and just say my concerns. Im sure we can come to some kind of arrangement.

Im used to training being available 5 days a week.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Im going to talk to him. Im far less angry then I was when I posted. Im going to be respectful and just say my concerns. Im sure we can come to some kind of arrangement.

Im used to training being available 5 days a week.

That's one of the drawbacks of less commercial training. I'm happy to work out times with my students, but it's got to be around both our schedules, 'cause I gotta go to work. Some clubs have more training opportunities than others, depending on how they get their training space.

OP
K

Kframe

Black Belt
Reaction score
I know, but I spent a lot of time arranging my life around the original schedule.

Found out class on Saturday is cancelled. He did mention on FB that he is going to be adding in a Wednesday class to make up for lost training time. He made not mention of a beginner class. Since I can not talk to him in person, I sent him a message on FB explaining my concerns, and asked him if he would like to talk over the phone or in person.

I know I was spoiled by lots of available training but IMHO once a week is Not enough training in any activity. I know Some will disagree but that is my opinion.

Since I can not accurately replicate the various aruki tsuki drills, and avoid training it incorrectly I will not be doing it alone. I have decided to confine my training to the basic forward and backward punch drill, and the San shin no kata.

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I agree, once per week (especially for only 45 minutes) is really not enough to make appreciable progress. Heck, I train 10-12 hours per week on average and I feel like it's not enough. Realistically you need at least a couple of classes per week to get anywhere.

OP
K

Kframe

Black Belt
Reaction score
I sent him a FB message. I will await his reply and hopefully I can talk to him on the phone or something.

OP
K

Kframe

Black Belt
Reaction score
Thoughts from a rambling lunatic.

I have been thinking about something interesting. I just realized I don't give a flying crap about MMA anymore. I had always intended to co train mma along side BBT. Yet here I am a month in, and I'm committed and paid for training in BBT yet, I have not acted on the free offers of 2 weeks unlimited training and easy monthly payments at the mma place I was looking at. All this time I'm fuming over my perceived lack of training in bbt, yet not caring one iota about mma training.

Apparently I have moved on. I could have started any time at this mma place yet, it dosent even blip on the radar.

I would still like to some day learn GJJ as a separate art, as I do enjoy ground work and I think it would mesh well with BBT.

I think, I have finally found something.. Now if I could just to the next kyu level I can train much much more with actual people.

On a training note, I was playing around with Ichimonji no kamae today. I had my wife in her MMA stance(I have been training her) and she was throwing lots of quick snappy 1's and 2's. I found it quite easy to parry and use proper movement to deal with her jabs. I even nailed a Jodan Uke.(she was not thrilled with that made a hard thud-whap sound)

I noticed that, from a "normal" stance like Shizen(the generic natural stance) I found that just by going into a proper ichi monji had some movement off the line. I may have been doing it wrong but, it seams that from shizen(natural) Going into ichi moves me off line. It didn't feel wrong, but ill check with sensei and get his opinion. Going from left ichi to right ichi had a interesting effect on my body movement.. All most like a zigzag just by going into those 2 consecutively.

I have been working the San shin no kata and I feel I am a lot smoother then when I first started. This and my basic kamae practice and the punch drills and working the front kick are the extent of my home training that I am able to do..