Judo or Taekwondo for best self defense?

sinthetik_mistik

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I've not seen much Krav, but the only Judo I've seen in it is a hip throw. I've seen techniques similar to Judo's, but they weren't applied the way they are in Judo. Probably just stuff I haven't seen in my limited exposure to Krav.
I mean I'm not an expert on Krav either I've only been taking it for a few months. but I'm just about positive Judo is incorporated... how much of it is incorporated I do not know

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I mean I'm not an expert on Krav either I've only been taking it for a few months. but I'm just about positive Judo is incorporated... how much of it is incorporated I do not know
Whether it's recognizable will depend upon what was borrowed, and whether techniques were used, the principles that drive them (some techniques can be driven differently in different arts), or both. It's even possible Judo was an influence, but few specific techniques were incorporated. From what I understand, Krav can vary rather significantly, so the Krav I've seen might not carry the Judo influence as much.

sinthetik_mistik

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Whether it's recognizable will depend upon what was borrowed, and whether techniques were used, the principles that drive them (some techniques can be driven differently in different arts), or both. It's even possible Judo was an influence, but few specific techniques were incorporated. From what I understand, Krav can vary rather significantly, so the Krav I've seen might not carry the Judo influence as much.

originally, Krav was basically Wrestling and Boxing. over the years it has been adding various martial arts. now it incorporates quite a few. the main focus of Krav is to make it home without getting attacked or mugged or whatever. I will say I'm not really familiar with the various Judo throws... I know that there are a lot. I would imagine that Krav took the throws that work best in a self defense situation and implemented them.

GreatUniter

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I've not seen much Krav, but the only Judo I've seen in it is a hip throw. I've seen techniques similar to Judo's, but they weren't applied the way they are in Judo. Probably just stuff I haven't seen in my limited exposure to Krav.

This is what I found when I searched for judo in krav maga.

GreatUniter

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Definitely some Judo and Aikido in what he does. Oddly (since it's marketed as Krav) he uses a Japanese bow-in at the beginning of the flash reel.

His bio says that he has background in jujitsu, kickboxing and authentic krav maga, besides he was IDF and military instructor.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
I'm offended. Pistols at dawn.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk
It's the 10 Duel Commandments....

Alexander
Aaron Burr, sir.
Can we agree that duels are dumb and immature?
Sure. But your man has to answer with his words, Burr.
With his life? We both know that's absurd, sir.
Hang on. How many men died because Lee was inexperienced and ruinous?
Okay. So, we're doin' this.

Professor Random

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
It seems I missed most of the party, but I'll post my 2 pennies here quickly.

I do taekwondo and personally I wouldn't say I do it for the self defense. (thats just a side benefit) I do it for the sport, and to compete.

In my opinion its more of a sport for competition, and you wouldn't really get far on the streets with it, I haven't seen much of Judo but I hear that it's a little better for self defense.

Due to a time crunch that's all I can say for now :)

Latest Discussions