Judo or Taekwondo for best self defense?

frank raud

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Well many don't. At least not for self defense. What are you going to do when you have someone firing rounds at you? Are you going to try to get in close with your Kali or Escrima sticks?

Why would you use Kali or Escrima sticks to begin with? They lack the reach and power of modern melee weapons like baseball bats, pipes, etc. If i wanted to defend myself, i'd use those weapons instead.
If only someone with kali training to transfer the skills taught in stick fighting to the use of a baseball bat or a pipe. But who would think of using a pipe like a club? That's some real out of the box thinking.

axelb

Orange Belt
Reaction score
self defence isn't about weapon attacks only; that is part of it, but a martial art that contains training in observation and body language prior to an attack will provide a better outcome than "carry a weapon".

the weapons you can carry and are likely to encounter will be determined regionally. in many countries empty hand training will be more than adequate for most people.

where do you live @Isaiah90 that you see regular baseball, pipe, knife, gun attacks at a higher proportion to empty had encounters?

Isaiah90

Orange Belt
Reaction score
OK, so for a start - not everyone lives in the apparent war zone that you do.

If I carry a gun and get caught with it (that's just carrying, not brandishing or using) then last I heard that's an automatic 5 year prison sentence.

If I actually use it, well then my sentence is increased exponentially, whether I cause harm or not.

Carrying a knife? That I can do, if I have a justifiably good reason to do so and it's size and design meets certain criteria - "self defence" is NOT a legally defendable good reason.

Baseball bat? Sure, I can carry one if I'm going to or from playing baseball.

Pipe? Yeah, if I'm a plumber I'd get away with some pipe in the van. Tucked in my belt while shopping? That's at least a night in the cells and most likely a court appearance.

Basically, I'm not allowed to carry a weapon - or any item that I'm intending to use as a weapon.

Even if I could, none of the weapons would give you any extra edge in a drive by or an acid attack.
None.
No edge.
At all.
Even a bit.

Also, I'd look a right wanker wandering about carrying a baseball bat.

Someone firing rounds at me?

For one thing, a lump of pipe isn't going to anything.

For another, the chances of that happening anywhere near here are less than winning the lottery, while getting struck by lightning.

Would you rather end up in a prisonyard or a graveyard?

Those modern weapons are better than Filipino martial arts sticks in melee weapon combat.

The chances of it happening are low depending on where you live. Nevertheless, it can still happen.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score

Those modern weapons are better than Filipino martial arts sticks in melee weapon combat.

The chances of it happening are low depending on where you live. Nevertheless, it can still happen.
I love your posts. Im finding all of them hilarious

axelb

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Would you rather end up in a prisonyard or a graveyard?...

these aren't the only options when it comes to self defence.

unless you live in a war zone maybe?
I've had a handful of violent encounters, and 10 times more encounters that could have become violent, but I used my non lethal and weapon free techniques in all these cases.
I didn't get arrested, and also I am not an unread forum member.

how many weapon attacks have happened within your town this year?
how many attacks without weapons in your town?

Isaiah90

Orange Belt
Reaction score
If only someone with kali training to transfer the skills taught in stick fighting to the use of a baseball bat or a pipe. But who would think of using a pipe like a club? That's some real out of the box thinking.

Check out my video. Several attackers use bats as weapons.

As for Kali's training being transferrable to bats, i doubt it. An attack with melee weapons is going to be too fast and aggressive for you to do any flashy disarms or techniques.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

As for Kali's training being transferrable to bats, i doubt it. An attack with melee weapons is going to be too fast and aggressive for you to do any flashy disarms or techniques.

You really aren't very familiar with Kali, are you?

axelb

Orange Belt
Reaction score
@Isaiah90

would to recommend going to any club in particular and get training with live partners with/ without weapons?

or maybe do an online course without any physical interaction with people?

frank raud

Master of Arts
Reaction score

Could you decide if you are using the weapon or defending against it? As this is a martial arts forum, and this thread is about judo or tae kwon do , could you point out who in the video has any training in any art? If you are going to argue against something, and use video to support your claims, it would be nice if the video actually had some relevant context. Joe Thug assaulting a random person on the street does little for the discussion of the validity f martial arts for self defense.

Last edited:

axelb

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I don't see how that's relevant to the discussion lol.
you seem to be avoiding all the relevant questions, and posting videos to your YouTube page for views on your online self defence course instead.

what school do you train at that provides better self defence, and how long have you been training there? what style is it that you train that is better than judo or taekwondo?

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score

Nice video ad but you forgot to write "don't forget to like subscribe, sign up for a newsletter and pay me 10 bucks for one of my t-shirts"

Isaiah90

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Could you decide if you are using the weapon or defending against it? As this is a martial arts forum, and this thread is about judo or tae kwon do , could you point out who in the video has any training in any art? If you are going to argue against something, and use video to support your claims, it would be nice if the video actually had some relevant context. Joe Thug assaulting a random person on the street does little for the discussion of the validity f martial arts for self defense.
these aren't the only options when it comes to self defence.

unless you live in a war zone maybe?
I've had a handful of violent encounters, and 10 times more encounters that could have become violent, but I used my non lethal and weapon free techniques in all these cases.
I didn't get arrested, and also I am not an unread forum member.

how many weapon attacks have happened within your town this year?
how many attacks without weapons in your town?

I was referring to armed conflicts.

pdg

Senior Master
Reaction score

Well, let's look at the chances.

Prison yard - chances are very high if I carry a weapon.

Graveyard - too much coffee is likely to put me there first.

I'm 41. I can count the number of armed attacks I've personally experienced on zero fingers (hint, that's none).

I can count the number of unarmed attacks I've personally experienced on 2 fingers, but only if I count stuff at school.

Threats of unarmed attacks? Two. My epic self defence techniques were supremely successful. I threatened them back, they left.

I've been stopped by the police and searched for drugs or weapons maybe 100-200 times. It was a very common occurrence for me - par for the course by liking to be out alone late at night.

So, carrying a weapon just doesn't win the possible cost/benefit analysis, by a long way.

pdg

Senior Master
Reaction score
You're making statements about Kali, and you don't see how knowledge about Kali might be relevant?? That's laughable.

I'm yet to see a post from this person that isn't laughable...

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Which art is best for practical self defense between the two? Also what arts blend well with both of these styles? I don't want to hear it's whichever art you love that works best... I want real answers and opinions. Thanks!
It is just not a black and white answer. An physically gifted mid level student in either style can give some high ranking students fits. The same is true for SD. The guy with no formal training can give an attacker fits if they are big, strong, fast, been a bunch of bar fights, etc...
So are these your only two choices for styles in your area? Do you have to choose only one? Why the need for a definitive answer? The answer will change in the next post so what are you trying to accomplish?

Isaiah90

Orange Belt
Reaction score
You're making statements about Kali, and you don't see how knowledge about Kali might be relevant?? That's laughable.

lol whenever you present the facts that go against a martial artist's beliefs, he/she always has to resort to cheap tactics like "oh you never trained in such art, therefore you can't criticize it.." Even when you have trained in it, you get ignored or questioned. That's laughable.

Isaiah90

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Nice video ad but you forgot to write "don't forget to like subscribe, sign up for a newsletter and pay me 10 bucks for one of my t-shirts"

lol good idea. I'll be selling shirts too with my logo on it.

pdg

Senior Master
Reaction score
lol whenever you present the facts that go against a martial artist's beliefs, he/she always has to resort to cheap tactics like "oh you never trained in such art, therefore you can't criticize it.." Even when you have trained in it, you get ignored or questioned. That's laughable.

So how much have you trained in tkd or judo?

Because I'd really like to know where the "facts" you posted about them came from.

By the way, they can only be classified as facts if they're true, i.e. factual.

Saying there are no strikes in tkd is false, not factual.

That's not you presenting facts that go against my beliefs - that's you making up crap based on a huge lack of knowledge.

I'm not resorting to "cheap tactics", I'm honestly wondering where you got it from - because if it was from training that you paid for I'll try to help you get a refund.

Latest Discussions