Judo or Taekwondo for best self defense?

Discussion in 'General Self Defense' started by BmillerWarrior, Nov 27, 2017.

1. sinthetik_mistik

sinthetik_mistik Purple Belt

Flintlocks all the way :D

2. sinthetik_mistik

actually most martial arts start out as self defense then turn into sports. Taekwondo is an Olympic sport, which by my way of thinking, is about the highest honor a martial art can have

3. Steve

Steve Mostly Harmless

Really? I’m not sure that’s true.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. sinthetik_mistik

well I mean even the ones that turn into sports it doesn't mean that they are no longer effective for self defense. although there are some martial arts that I would not recommend in a self defense situation. also, the sport aspect creates professional fighters, people who train 5-6 hours a day... who can beat up just about anybody

5. shobukanmartialarts

shobukanmartialarts White Belt

For self defense, I believe judo is the best. First off, taekwondo and karate both focus primarily on striking techniques. And there’s nothing wrong with that, but self defense in my opinion is best when it can be shown. Judo or martial arts focuses mainly on grapples, which don’t physically do damage on their own.If your daughter gets into an altercation and she ends up punching her attacker in the face, that would look a lot worse for her than simply grabbing her attacker and throwing them to the ground. And of course, like every other user on the planet, I have to say that it shouldn’t really matter because it should never get to a point where she has to use it, but of course that’s easier typed than done. And if she does need to use it, in the real world, a broken nose could result in a lawsuit, and a grapple really couldn’t result in much backlash.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 28, 2018
  6. JR 137

JR 137 Senior Master

I think a throw, joint lock, and/or choke can be more effective for an undersized person trying to defend themself. A broken bone, dislocated joint and/or a choke that results in unconsciousness could result in a lawsuit just as easily and possibly more easily than a broken nose.

You seem to be comparing a grappling restraint to an alleged excessive strike rather than an alleged excessive grapple. It doesn’t matter in which manner you defend yourself; if you’re going to put your hands on someone you’d better be able to justify why and the amount of force used, rightfully or wrongfully.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  7. PiedmontChun

PiedmontChun Blue Belt

True. People can have serious damage from a throw. An untrained person is likely to try and post out an arm if falling or being thrown, which is just asking to break a limb, or not know to tuck their chin to their chest if falling to the rear. That can be almost as hard to explain as giving a black eye or broken nose.

I personally think grappling of some kind is needed for self defense though, not because it is "better" or more "effective" than striking, but because it helps with self-preservation in ways a lot of striking arts ignore. Some fights start with a punch, but just as many start with pushing, grabbing of the limbs or clothing. If you don't know how to fall or deal with being grabbed and pushed, then your striking is going to less effective.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. kravmaga1

kravmaga1 Yellow Belt

Judo and Taekwondo, both are good self-defense techniques. But which one is better, it depends upon the person, that's how well he or she has gone through a training and practiced it and what is best and comfortable for him or her in self-defense.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. axelb

axelb Yellow Belt

Neither are good for "self defense", the self defence part comes from all the scenario up until the fight starts.
    Observation, conversation, body language.
    All these are rarely taught in judo or tkd.

After that point, which is better for fighting?
    That depends on how the school trains.
    I have seen more constituency in live training in Judo, than TKD. Judo has newaza and randori to regularly test the techniques under pressure.

That being said, there are plenty of TKD schools available that will teach you to strike/defend striking, and aren't just about forms/pad work.

10. thekaratekid

thekaratekid White Belt

Judo!!! but train both cant hurt