Judo or Taekwondo for best self defense?

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
But on judo competition, a competitor doesn't take punch to the face (or kick, knee etc.). On training, sport's judo doesn't prepare a practitioner for real self defense,
How do you test your MA skill in SD?

If you have not taken your opponent down 100 times with your "single leg", how will you know that your "single leg" will have a good chance to take someone down the 101 time?

The throwing art training is only the starting point. It's not the ending point. The ending point is the kick, punch, lock, throw, ground game integration.

Last edited:

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If the fellow in the suit grabbed his knife, instead of his hat, and introduced it to your kidney or lung, I would consider that a difference. In fact, I would call it a significant difference.
It is, but that's not much to do with the technical timing of the technique (technically) - which is what I think KFW is talking about.

GreatUniter

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Out of curiosity, what country do you live in? I've found that here (depending on the sport) most sport fighters are good at what they do if they compete, and able to transfer it to the street. It may be that in your area/country the level of skill overall isn't high, causing the differences in experience.

Macedonia. There are good fighters but past their prime and usually don't train other people and don't compete. There are also some very good kickboxers and mma fighters that are very skilled, but don't participate in competitions anymore (and are gym teachers). Also there is very good sanda (sanshou) teacher and a judo teacher that are best in our country if we talk about sport martial arts; it's what I know. Other than that, other combat sport teachers are not so good or not so well known (I don't have information on their level of martial skill). We have a few very good self defense teachers that teach martial arts or combat systems, but not for competitions. In my country, overall skill isn't high when it comes down to martial arts, although there are few teachers that are exceptions.

GreatUniter

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
How do you test your MA skill in SD?

If you have not taken your opponent down 100 times with your "single leg", how will you know that your "single leg" will have a good chance to take someone down the 101 time?

The throwing art training is only the starting point. It's not the ending point. The ending point is the kick, punch, lock, throw, ground game integration.

If you throw 100 opponents with one technique, does it mean that you can throw your next opponent? Not all techniques work on all people in the way we are taught, that's why we reshape a technique and do it our way if it works for us. There aren't two masters that do one technique in the same way (even if it's copy from one another, there will be slight difference).

As for the second bold, I totally agree with you.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
If you throw 100 opponents with one technique, does it mean that you can throw your next opponent?
Before I took my TOEFL (Test of English as Foreign Language), I had spent 3 months to test over 100 different old TOEFL exams on my own. I could tell that my score was getting better and better every time. During the final testing day, Some questions when I saw the first few words, I could already come out the correct answer.

Question such as:

- Telephone book, book of telephone, telephone's book, ...
- If I had had, I would have had ...
- boulevard (this word appear in almost every test).

MA training is the same. The more that you can test on different opponents, the better that you will become.

sinthetik_mistik

Purple Belt
Reaction score
back to the original question... comparing Taekwondo to Judo can be difficult as they are two completely different types of martial arts. Taekwondo has fast, powerful kicks and Judo is good at slamming people on the ground and submitting them. I don't know if it's true, but I heard that Judo has the highest injury rate of any martial art. A lot of martial arts can complement either Judo or Taekwondo.

sinthetik_mistik

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Old saying said if you can't treat to be thrown on the ground as body massage, the throwing art may not be for you.
yeah i've been on the receiving end of a Judo slam once or twice and it scared the crap out of me! if you don't fall right you could get seriously injured.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
yeah i've been on the receiving end of a Judo slam once or twice and it scared the crap out of me! if you don't fall right you could get seriously injured.
Yup. That' why a lot of the time falling is included in the warm up exercises at the beginning of class.

sinthetik_mistik

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Yup. That' why a lot of the time falling is included in the warm up exercises at the beginning of class.
i know a guy who took Judo for around 30 years he said he got bruised up a lot. I take Krav Maga which incorporates Judo... I'm still a beginner haven't gotten to the Judo part yet... but we'll see how that goes

mdavidg

Orange Belt
Reaction score
If you can find a school that teaches traditional Judo then I say go for it. Traditional Judo is very different from sport, and it is traditional that was designed to be used as protection. In CO we have a school that teaches both. And you better believe that out of the three schools we have in the area I go to the one that teaches traditional because that's what I consider to be practical. But I will say this too. There's nothing wrong with studying TKD along with Judo. Or studying Judo for a year or so and then studying TKD. Most of us cross train in various martial arts. And you will take away something from each martial art that you learn.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i know a guy who took Judo for around 30 years he said he got bruised up a lot. I take Krav Maga which incorporates Judo... I'm still a beginner haven't gotten to the Judo part yet... but we'll see how that goes
That's an interesting mix. I'd be interested in seeing that. I see your location is listed as Northside ATL - is that Atlanta?

sinthetik_mistik

Purple Belt
Reaction score
That's an interesting mix. I'd be interested in seeing that. I see your location is listed as Northside ATL - is that Atlanta?
yeah I live about 40-45 minutes north of Atlanta in the suburbs. i'm not sure what you're referring to when you say that's an interesting mix? Krav Maga?

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
yeah I live about 40-45 minutes north of Atlanta in the suburbs. i'm not sure what you're referring to when you say that's an interesting mix? Krav Maga?
Krav and Judo. I think they'd work well together. Very different approaches in some ways, and might balance each other.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
if you are talking about Krav Maga here is a video of Roy Elghanayan's 4th degree black belt test
Pretty flashy, but I assume that's mostly for two reasons. 1) it's a flash reel (so contains the "best looking" material) and 2) it's an added degree of difficulty for high rank. Definitely a nice flash reel.

lklawson

Grandmaster
Reaction score
If you can find a school that teaches traditional Judo then I say go for it. Traditional Judo is very different from sport, and it is traditional that was designed to be used as protection. In CO we have a school that teaches both.
Before the inclusion of Judo in the Olympics, "Recreational Judo" was the norm in the U.S. That spanned a lot of variations, ranging through health and self defense, but also including competition. I remember reading one Judoka complain that the Olympics is going to kill Judo, restricting it to only competitive Judo while sacrificing the other beneficial aspects of Judo practice.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Before the inclusion of Judo in the Olympics, "Recreational Judo" was the norm in the U.S. That spanned a lot of variations, ranging through health and self defense, but also including competition. I remember reading one Judoka complain that the Olympics is going to kill Judo, restricting it to only competitive Judo while sacrificing the other beneficial aspects of Judo practice.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk
People said the same for TKD. Truth be told, it seems like 99% of the TKD in my area is sport based. And there’s no shortage of TKD here. Hopefully my area is an anomaly.

People are saying the same for karate’s inclusion in the 2020 Olympics. Granted, it’s a “demonstration” sport (or whatever the term is) at this point, but only time will tell if it becomes permanent and/or predominantly sport based.

There’s several judo clubs in my area. One that stands out is primarily SD based (if you will), with all the regular instructors holding dan certification from the Kodokan (or are in the process). The other that stands out is primarily a competition school run by a former Olympic gold or silver medalist.

Latest Discussions