Is (any) alcohol drinking a sin?

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I've been in a few small Christian churches in the American south and met congregation that had a view of alcohol that was as absolute as my own scriptures. No alcohol is permitted. The Holy Communion is consecrated grape juice instead of consecrated wine. One of my cousins goes to such a church.

We had the following conversation earlier today

Cousin: "Have a great time, hope you won't drink and drive"

Me: "Nah, I largely don't drink."

Cousin: "Oh that's good. We think its as sin"

Now......excessive drinking, drunkenness, some sort of alcohol-related gluttony....I can see that as being a sin in the Christian church.

However, it was harder for me to grasp how any drinking is a sin to a Christian, given that Jesus is seen serving wine at Cana and at the Last Supper. It's not that I think such a stance is wrong....I just don't quite understand it yet.

On the other hand...

My faith forbids alcohol completely. Usually around this time of year, I see someone asking online "Can't we have a glass of Champagne at New Years?" The answer has always come back.....no. Drinking takes one away from remembering God, therefore it can't be permitted.

I agree with the rule. In the context of the scriptures, and spirit of my faith, the reasoning is sound. I'll admit that whiule I largely don't drink, I cannot say that I NEVER drink. But, I don't think the rule should be changed because of my own personal non-compliance.

What about your path? Is a bit of responsible holiday cheer permitted? Or forbidden?

bydand

Senior Master
Reaction score
Permitted. AS long as it isn't excessive or beyond the bounds of applicable laws. With that being said, most people in the church do not drink. I do somewhat now, a few years ago I would have crossed the "excessive" line many, many times in the course of a year :( . My Father is a minister and he never had a problem with people who had a bit to drink and could never point out "book, chapter, and verse" where it was wrong to do so in moderation. He never drank himself, and neither does my Mother, so we kids would never think of having a drink in front of them even now (the "baby" of us 4 kids just turned 36), just because of their feelings and our respect for them.

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I don't think the consumption of alcohol itself is a sin... didn't Jesus turn water into wine for a party? But the actions caused by inebriation (not being drunk itself) can be sinful, depending upon what those actions are.
Drinking can LEAD to sin because one's inhibitions-self control are lowered dramatically when drunk and thus it's alot easier to uhh, forget one's self.

Ray

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
My faith forbids alcohol completely.
Where there is no law given, there is no transgression (Romans 4:15, paraphrased).

I have complete faith that alcohol does me no good...so I don't drink. I understand that several religions forbid alcohol, I belong to one of them.

Of course, others who can drink responsibly should be under no compunction to cease drinking.

Kembudo-Kai Kempoka

Senior Master
Reaction score
...Drinking takes one away from remembering God, therefore it can't be permitted...

There is a story I love about a Priest in a Temple of Shiva, visited by a vagabond wanderer. The wanderer comes into the temple, and sits...with his feet propped up on the Shivalinga -- a large egg-shaped rock, sacred to the religion as holy imagery, similar to the sacredness of the crucifix in a church.

The Priest scolds the vagabond for this act, saying, "God is there, in that rock. Remove your feet from there at once!". The vagabond obeys, and as he begins to set his feet down, another Shivalinga appears beneath them to support them. He moves his feet again, and again a third linga appears to prop up the wanderers feet. The Priest is aghast. The Wanderer says, "As soon as you can show me some place where God is not, I will gladly place my feet there."

The Priest lowered his head in greetings and deference to the Mahaguru in disguise, and thanked him for this lesson.

All things, even though we do not understand how or why, are part of creation, and the divine plan of it. There is no where you can go -- in place, deed, or mind -- that the Divine is not. One can't unremember God, for all thoughts are infused with, and a reflection of, the Divine...as it expresses itself by moving through us, and in us.

So my question would be...is it a sin of commission (the act of drinking), or ommission (losing sight of that which cannot be lost)?

Regards,

D.

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I don't believe drinking alcohol is a sin, per se; however, I do think that doing anything to excess - that is, to the point it makes you sick or has a negative effect on other people (eating, drinking alcohol, exercise, weight loss, gossip, etc.) is immoral - that is, sinful by most definitions. The trick is determining what is harmful, and therefore excessive.

bushidomartialarts

Senior Master
Reaction score
not drinking alcohol is a sin. may the beer god strike you down from on high.

really, though. isn't fully enjoying the good of this world a celebration of god's works? drinking to self-destructiveness or the harm of others is bad, but that's really the sin of irresponsibility, not of consuming mind-altering substances.

mrhnau

Senior Master
Reaction score
Not a sin. I don't see it being a sin anywhere in the bible. However, I do see drinking in excess as a sin. Same thing with alot of things. I don't see eating food being sinful, but eating it in excess can be (gluttony). People don't talk about that one too much though it seems...

Drinking can LEAD to sin because one's inhibitions-self control are lowered dramatically when drunk and thus it's alot easier to uhh, forget one's self.
Great point. For some people, a glass of wine can be enough to lower inhibitions. I guess its a matter of understanding your body.

I think people that have had issues with alcohol may want to think hard before drinking. Were you an alcoholic? Then its probably not wise to drink at all. Have a family history of drunkards? then you might want to think hard before that second glass.

Personally, I don't drink. I can't stand the taste of it though. Don't like carbonated drinks either though (coke, pepsi, etc). I think its just me :)

someguy

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Simply stated for christians Jesus made water into wine ([FONT=Arial, Arial, Helvetica]John 2:1-11; Matthew 26:29 I belive)[/FONT]. That would tend to mean alcohol isn't a sin. The excess of alcohol is probably what most biblical passages warning about alcohol is about. After all how much dumb stuff does a person do after way to many drinks. It is hard to avoid sin when drinking. That said I occasionally drink to excess I must admit.

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
That said I occasionally drink to excess I must admit.

When I was you age that all we did, that and try to find females that also drank to excess...

Bigshadow

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Simply stated for christians Jesus made water into wine ([FONT=Arial, Arial, Helvetica]John 2:1-11; Matthew 26:29 I belive)[/FONT]. That would tend to mean alcohol isn't a sin. The excess of alcohol is probably what most biblical passages warning about alcohol is about. After all how much dumb stuff does a person do after way to many drinks. It is hard to avoid sin when drinking. That said I occasionally drink to excess I must admit.

I am not sure but maybe they think it is a sin due to Leviticus 10:9

Do not drink wine nor strong drink, thou, nor thy sons with thee, when ye go into the tabernacle of the congregation, lest ye die: it shall be a statute for ever throughout your generations:
I do not follow christianity, but that might be where they get it from. :idunno:

Well, I will have my wine, thank you ;)

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
When I was you age that all we did, that and try to find females that also drank to excess...

Wait a minute... did we ever go out drinking? Because that sounds WAAAAY to familiar :)

And how could drinking be a sin, didn't Jesus turn water into wine? If it wasn't for drinking what was that for just to impress the Romans.

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I know a number of priests very closely and they all enjoy a good glass of wine regularly. Drinking itself in my opinion is not a sin at all. Even drinking too much would not be considered a sin unless you acted inappropriately and then did something really sinful.

zDom

Senior Master
Reaction score
Not a sin. I don't see it being a sin anywhere in the bible. However, I do see drinking in excess as a sin. Same thing with alot of things. I don't see eating food being sinful, but eating it in excess can be (gluttony). People don't talk about that one too much though it seems...

Ya, that's what always gets me: people who are morbidly obese gossiping about how so-and-so had a drink ;)

When it all gets too complicated for me I just focus on two most important commandments:

a) Love the Creator with all your heart, soul and mind;

and

b) Love your neighbor as your self (or, to put it another way, treat others like you want to be treated).

"All the laws and the prophets hang on those two" or something like that :)

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Ya, that's what always gets me: people who are morbidly obese gossiping about how so-and-so had a drink ;)

When it all gets too complicated for me I just focus on two most important commandments:

a) Love the Creator with all your heart, soul and mind;

and

b) Love your neighbor as your self (or, to put it another way, treat others like you want to be treated).

"All the laws and the prophets hang on those two" or something like that :)

There is no expressed prohibition against drinking alcohol in the Bible. However, for some, it can be a big stumbling block to doing the 2 things that zdom mentioned above. For some Christian churches, they began in part, by reaching out to folks for whom alcohol was a problem. Therefore, they made the prohibition for their members. The Methodist Church (now the United Methodist Church) is a "dry" denomination, according to their polity (if not practice) It was one of their members (Dr. Welsh) who invented unfirmented grape juice to serve as Communion "wine" on Sunday.

For The Salvation Army (which is a Christian denomination) partly because they dealt with folks with alcohol problems, they stopped the practice of Communion on a regular basis. (Dr. Welsh's invention was not widely available at the start of The Sal. in 1865). For Salvationists, it's part of their practice not to drink alcohol.

For some Christian denominations (Episcopalians & Roman Catholics to name two) drinking alcohol is permitted & is still used in Communion to this day.

OP
Carol

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
There is no expressed prohibition against drinking alcohol in the Bible. However, for some, it can be a big stumbling block to doing the 2 things that zdom mentioned above. For some Christian churches, they began in part, by reaching out to folks for whom alcohol was a problem. Therefore, they made the prohibition for their members. The Methodist Church (now the United Methodist Church) is a "dry" denomination, according to their polity (if not practice) It was one of their members (Dr. Welsh) who invented unfirmented grape juice to serve as Communion "wine" on Sunday.

For The Salvation Army (which is a Christian denomination) partly because they dealt with folks with alcohol problems, they stopped the practice of Communion on a regular basis. (Dr. Welsh's invention was not widely available at the start of The Sal. in 1865). For Salvationists, it's part of their practice not to drink alcohol.

For some Christian denominations (Episcopalians & Roman Catholics to name two) drinking alcohol is permitted & is still used in Communion to this day.

Intersting info Iceman! :)

Haze

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I'll assume that we can agree that your body is the temple of the Lord. Now anything that you do to this temple that causes the deterioration of it could be considered a sin. Over eating, not enough sleep, smoking, lack of ecxersize and drinking if it causes the body or mind to function at less than it's full potention. I believe the bible stated to "not be drunk on wine but to be filled with the Holly Spirit" or something to that effect.

Drinking, in moderation is ok. Just my oppinion.