Bahá'í

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
A friend of mine recently told me he was a Bahá'í and not knowing anything about it I went out and did some web research. And today I see a completely unassociated story in the paper about Bahá'í.

Now not being a religious person I tend to find most organized religions a bit suspicious but after reading about it… things like

The independent search after truth, unfettered by superstition or tradition; the oneness of the entire human race, the pivotal principle and fundamental doctrine of the Faith; the basic unity of all religions; the condemnation of all forms of prejudice, whether religious, racial, class or national; the harmony which must exist between religion and science; the equality of men and women, the two wings on which the bird of humankind is able to soar; the introduction of compulsory education; the adoption of a universal auxiliary language; the abolition of the extremes of wealth and poverty; the institution of a world tribunal for the adjudication of disputes between nations; the exaltation of work, performed in the spirit of service, to the rank of worship; the glorification of justice as the ruling principle in human society, and of religion as a bulwark for the protection of all peoples and nations; and the establishment of a permanent and universal peace as the supreme goal of all mankind—these stand out as the essential elements [which Bahá'u'lláh proclaimed

It sounds alright and then I see this

Unity of religion
Unity of humankind
Equality between men and women
Elimination of all forms of prejudice
World peace
Harmony of religion and science
Independent investigation of truth
Universal compulsory education
Universal auxiliary language
Obedience to government and non-involvement in partisan politics
Elimination of extremes of wealth and poverty

And it again looks fine and like a religion I "might" be able agree with.... but I just can’t get over my suspicions of course the link to Shi'a Islam doesn’t help (nothing against Shi'a Islam it is just religion, like most including Christianity and Catholicism that I don’t trust) and I see a list of laws that at face value look good

Laws
- Prayer in the Bahá'í Faith consists of obligatory prayer and devotional (general) prayer. Bahá'ís over the age of 15 must individually recite an obligatory prayer each day, using fixed words and form. In addition to the daily obligatory prayer, believers are directed to daily offer devotional prayer and to meditate and study sacred scripture. There is no set form for devotions and meditations, though the devotional prayers written by the central figures of the Bahá'í Faith and collected in prayer books are held in high esteem. Reading aloud of prayers from prayer books is a typical feature of Bahá'í gatherings.
- Backbiting and gossip are prohibited and denounced.
- Adult Bahá'ís in good health should observe a nineteen-day sunrise-to-sunset fast each year from March 2 through March 20.
- Bahá'ís are forbidden to drink alcohol or to take drugs, unless prescribed by doctors.
- Sexual relationships are permitted only between a husband and wife, and thus premarital and homosexual sex are forbidden.
- Gambling is forbidden.
- Fanaticism is forbidden.
- Adherence to ritual is condemned, with the notable exception of the obligatory prayers.

But again could be just about any other religion or parts of any other religion and the fact that it is rather new as compared to the other religions makes me wonder

Anyone have any insight into Bahai?

Ken Morgan

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Religion is just a cult that has gained traction. And everyone here knows my thoughts when it comes to religion.

Sorry, I have issues with any group that tells me to do A, B, C and that I can’t do X, Y or Z.

What was that quote?

I DON'T WANT TO BELONG TO ANY CLUB
THAT WILL ACCEPT ME AS A MEMBER.
Groucho Marx

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Baha'i became popular with a lot of folks at my college. They were attracted to the peace-and-love-for-all message, but to be honest, I really didn't care for the kind of person they became.

They took on very strict diets, usually vegan, some going as far as not permitting sugar, others didn't permit artificial substances. This lead to some very tense scenarios with my friends who were roommates with the converts...roommates tend to have squabbles over who ate who's stuff to begin with, when those squabbles escalate to what is being in the fridge, then that's a different story.

I also didn't like how they were so taken in with everything that was said at their group. I have no issue with a person being enthusiastic about their path, but to see enthusiasm such as that with very little reflection or introspection makes me a bit suspicious...especially with the way that college-age students were purposefully targeted by Boston Baha'i.

Does it mean that they are bad people? No, just not my cup of tea.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
I don't know a lot about the practical observance of this religion, but I will admit that some of the fundamental ideas of it are interesting to me. The concept of progressive revelation, and how each of the world's religions represents one stage in a long journey toward enlightenment.

Nolerama

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I was at some coffee shop, and made some small talk with a very intelligent, pretty lady and she invited me to a party.

So I went.

And it was a Baha'i recruiting event.

It was a little too much for me... And the thing about "men and women being equals" is a misstated.

Yes, men and women are equals as long as the man brings home the bacon and the woman takes care of the children. That's the concept of "equality." At least, that's how I was introduced to the concept when I asked about it at the recruitment "party".

Having a strong, professional mother, I disagree with that concept, and would like my girlfriend or wife to do whatever it is they want to do, and not just sit around and make babies.

It was also a little too "granola" for me. I've been known to sample the vegetarian dish on the menu, and I sometimes like jam bands and tie-dye... but I draw the line at patchouli. I just do.

David43515

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Except for the call for a universal language and a universal international court, I didn`t see anything that isn`t touted by almost all religious movements.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Except for the call for a universal language and a universal international court, I didn`t see anything that isn`t touted by almost all religious movements.
I think that's exactly the point that I was making before. The only thing that is unique to Bahai is that it specifically DOES incorporate most if not all of the world's major religions.

I don't have any kind of deep understanding of the religion, but the way it was explained to me is that all of the world's religions represent a step that was taken along the path of enlightenment. The people who remain in those religions are just sort of stuck at that step... if that makes sense.

Check this out: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Progressive_revelation_(Bahá'í)

OP
Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
I think that's exactly the point that I was making before. The only thing that is unique to Bahai is that it specifically DOES incorporate most if not all of the world's major religions.

I don't have any kind of deep understanding of the religion, but the way it was explained to me is that all of the world's religions represent a step that was taken along the path of enlightenment. The people who remain in those religions are just sort of stuck at that step... if that makes sense.

Check this out: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Progressive_revelation_(Bah%C3%A1%27%C3%AD)

I must admit I did find this view rather interesting, enough for me go to their webpage a poke around a bit and that too is was rather interesting, not interesting enough to sign up however, ultimately they gave me the same feeling I get from most religions.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
I must admit I did find this view rather interesting, enough for me go to their webpage a poke around a bit and that too is was rather interesting, not interesting enough to sign up however, ultimately they gave me the same feeling I get from most religions.
LOL... Well, yeah! It's religion. I'm not a religious person. I have a visceral reaction to anything that suggests some kind of divine safety net. But I do think it's important to know at least SOMETHING about the major religions of the world. Like it or not, they have an influence on many things from financial to military considerations.

And they're very interesting! :)

OP
Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
LOL... Well, yeah! It's religion. I'm not a religious person. I have a visceral reaction to anything that suggests some kind of divine safety net. But I do think it's important to know at least SOMETHING about the major religions of the world. Like it or not, they have an influence on many things from financial to military considerations.

And they're very interesting! :)

Agreed

Blade96

Senior Master
Reaction score
I dated a Bahai once. and broke up with him. the info here is basically correct.

not only was religion disgusting to me, he also told me he didnt like my face, just my chest.

Obviously, that was it for me.

Those two things.

The guy is married now and for the life of me I dont know why the woman's still married to him.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
I dated a Canadian once. She was disgusting too. Not sure if she was Bahai, though.

Blade96

Senior Master
Reaction score
I dont think I'm being ridiculous, I can't deal with most of the religious beliefs. There was another guy I dated though he wasnt a strong religious person, he nontheless criticized me because of my pro choice beliefs.

and my beliefs are not unjustifiable. I've good reasons for my hatred of religion.

I spent a lot of time around lots of religious people, as university is full of them.

Last edited:
OP
Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
My ex-wife an Italian Catholic but I sure as heck can’t judge all Italians of Catholics by her

I'm sorry folks but what does dating or Canadians or some guy’s crass comment have to do with Baha’i? If I am to Judge Baha'i by the things I originally posted that they follow and beleive I would have to say the guy in question was a bad Baha'i

Can we please get back to the topic and can we not get the moderators involved please

Blade96

Senior Master
Reaction score
because i know bahai's and just wanted to say that you're right about their beliefs, in your post.

that's all.

I sure didnt intend to get mocked or get a mod involved either!!

blindsage

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Back on topic, guess what Xue, you know two Baha'is. I'm a Baha'i, and I'm happy to answer any questions anybody has (although I'm not particularly interested in any drawn out theological debates). Just to clarify a couple of things, Baha'is are not vegetarian, let alone vegan. The only real dietary restriction for Baha'is is we don't drink alcohol, that's pretty much it. As for equality between the sexes, no there are no specific roles for men and women in the family. Do some people bring other beliefs into their practice of the Faith, yes, but they are not teachings of the Faith. Equality between the sexes is very explicit in the Baha'i writings.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Just to clarify a couple of things, Baha'is are not vegetarian, let alone vegan.

Thank you very much. :asian:

So its possible, or even likely, that the group my college friends got involved with was not genuinely Baha'i, or an unrelated subgroup that opted for an unusually orthodox lifestyle, for whatever reason. That would make more sense, if that's the case.

OP
Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Back on topic, guess what Xue, you know two Baha'is. I'm a Baha'i, and I'm happy to answer any questions anybody has (although I'm not particularly interested in any drawn out theological debates). Just to clarify a couple of things, Baha'is are not vegetarian, let alone vegan. The only real dietary restriction for Baha'is is we don't drink alcohol, that's pretty much it. As for equality between the sexes, no there are no specific roles for men and women in the family. Do some people bring other beliefs into their practice of the Faith, yes, but they are not teachings of the Faith. Equality between the sexes is very explicit in the Baha'i writings.

Thank You very much :asian:

I may just PM you at some point and ask a few questions.

From what he told me it seemed fine, I was just a bit concerned, but then just about all religions concern me to varying degrees.

However I should make it clear that it is not necessarily the religions themselves that concern me as much as it is what those that practice these religions use them for, justify with them or make of them.

Latest Discussions