If BJJ is so effective, why isn't everybody doing it?

Anarax

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
You have time to move out of the way or block a punch. So they are safe as well.

Unfortunately you can't. You don't always have time to react/block every strike thus they're not "safe". The tap ends the submission before it's completed, the striking technique is already completed at the moment of contact.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Unfortunately you can't. You don't always have time to react/block every strike thus they're not "safe". The tap ends the submission before it's completed, the striking technique is already completed at the moment of contact.

The submission happens at the point of risk of damage. Sometimes the submission is completed sometimes it isn't.

If the tap is late then the limb can be damaged. You don't have time to react to every submission.

And as a side note one of our guys recently needed 6 stitches in his head from jujitsu.

Today I had to collapse off a sprawl because I was about to break someone's neck when he turned the wrong way.

Anarax

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
The submission happens at the point of risk of damage. Sometimes the submission is completed sometimes it isn't.
Not necessarily, you don't wait until you feel your body weight drop during a choke to tap nor should you wait to tap until you feel the onset of soft tissue damage. Listening to your body is important in all martial arts training.

If the tap is late then the limb can be damaged. You don't have time to react to every submission.
Exactly, if the tap is late, meaning they could of tapped sooner to prevent injury. Knowing when to tap is very important which is overlooked in some BJJ schools.

And as a side note one of our guys recently needed 6 stitches in his head from jujitsu.
That's very uncommon in BJJ, fringe injuries occur in all disciplines. I had a friend tear and dislocate his shoulder in Aikido, but that's far from common in Aikido.
Today I had to collapse off a sprawl because I was about to break someone's neck when he turned the wrong way.
I've had someone try to check my leg kicks incorrectly and they injured themselves in the process. Meaning sometimes people put themselves in horrible positions that will inherently make sparring more dangerous for themselves. However, that doesn't make the training itself dangerous, it's the training partner making the situation needlessly more dangerous.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Not necessarily, you don't wait until you feel your body weight drop during a choke to tap nor should you wait to tap until you feel the onset of soft tissue damage. Listening to your body is important in all martial arts training.

Exactly, if the tap is late, meaning they could of tapped sooner to prevent injury. Knowing when to tap is very important which is overlooked in some BJJ schools.

That's very uncommon in BJJ, fringe injuries occur in all disciplines. I had a friend tear and dislocate his shoulder in Aikido, but that's far from common in Aikido.

I've had someone try to check my leg kicks incorrectly and they injured themselves in the process. Meaning sometimes people put themselves in horrible positions that will inherently make sparring more dangerous for themselves. However, that doesn't make the training itself dangerous, it's the training partner making the situation needlessly more dangerous.

Spoke to a girl today who broke another girls arm in competition. And basically did it on purpose. Gave her no time to tap.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Spoke to a girl today who broke another girls arm in competition. And basically did it on purpose. Gave her no time to tap.
During the old day, there would be axe gang fight after that competition.

axe-gang.jpg

TSDTexan

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I’m not going to get into arguments of practicality. BJJ and the other grappling systems have their strengths and flaws. As do striking arts. We can talk about how long one can train in any art, the toll it takes, etc. All this stuff has been debated ad nauseam.

Why do I think everyone doesn’t everyone do it? The nature of grappling itself. Most people are looking for glorified group exercise. Standing up and having your own personal space (relatively speaking) with striking arts is far more comfortable physically and mentally than being on the mat with someone all over you. Most people don’t want to “roll around on the ground with people.” They also don’t want to get drenched in someone else’s sweat.

A lot of my past and current karate training partners get uncomfortable with touching sweaty people like me in class. It’s that times 1000 in BJJ.

easy fix. find a bjj school in Alaska that has poor heating.

TSDTexan

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Rolling for three minutes is more physically taxing than two hours of katas.
That depends on which kata.
I know some brutal two man kata that are pretty short, but if you did them for two hours you wouldn't be walking the next day from the wear and tear.

TSDTexan

Master of Arts
Reaction score
No need be get salty. I'm not saying all TMA guys are out of shape shlubs. What I am saying is you can do most kata based tmas as an out of shape shlub. Sure, you can put more into it, but you aren't forced to the way you are in a style where you go head to head.

The point you seem to be overlooking though is that some sorts of physical activity is just more difficult physically than others. No matter how briskly you walk, it won't be as hard as climbing a cliff, and no matter how briskly you punch and kick the air and pads, or wave your arms around from various stances, it won't be as hard as wrestling a man that is resisting you.
14494621_560983370757820_5412678353891314527_n.jpg
12241451_447580878764737_7358122198114327921_n.jpg

TSDTexan

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I've done forms for 2 hours and I had to stop because my legs could not properly support me.
2 hours of this form made me wish I was doing anything but that form. I don't know how wrestling is, but with forms like this, you don't want to be completely exhausted because your joints actually begin to fail and it only takes a sloppy foot plant or turn to rip the joint. A person should stop the moment the person feels like they can no longer support good structure. To go beyond that is inviting injury.
two hours of that drumming would make me weaklegged too.

Anarax

Master Black Belt
Reaction score

I can't speak too much on that for I didn't see the nature of how the submission was applied. However, we've been talking about training dynamics, not competition. Training and competition have two different goals.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score

I know lots of people who have knocked out their opponents in competition. Basically did it on purpose. Didn't hold back at all.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I can't speak too much on that for I didn't see the nature of how the submission was applied. However, we've been talking about training dynamics, not competition. Training and competition have two different goals.

Like a double leg over but locked it off with a figure four. So by the time it is on it is broken.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
And crippled the guy?

I broke a guys radius and ulna with a spinning hook kick.
Broke arm does not equal crippled, in the vast majority of cases.
Countless people with concussions, and we all know how life changing those can be.

Anarax

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Like a double leg over but locked it off with a figure four. So by the time it is on it is broken.
There's a different of intent between training and competing. That kind of behavior/intent wouldn't be tolerated in most dojos.