If BJJ is so effective, why isn't everybody doing it?

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
The Gracies have been a phenomenon in the martial arts. They have shown just how effective BJJ and the grappling styles are, defeating many highly skilled strikers. That being the case though, if BJJ is so effective why isn't everybody doing it instead of the striking styles? Yes, BJJ has gained tons of popularity over recent decades but it still has not overtaken the striking arts as the most practiced art. In this day it shouldn't be too hard to find a BJJ school if you look for one but you will still find that most martial arts schools primarily teach striking styles and most people who train in martial arts today train in a striking art not BJJ.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Sigh. Do we really need to go into this?

Any system can help you gain effective skills. There is no single system that is objectively the best.

The best system for you (the individual) is the system and the teacher that you find interesting and that keeps you motivated to continue your training. Since everyone has their own particular interests, it goes without saying that different people will be interested in different things, and so will train in different methods.

As I said, that goes without saying. So I’m not really sure why I need to say it.

DaveB

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
The Gracies have been a phenomenon in the martial arts. They have shown just how effective BJJ and the grappling styles are, defeating many highly skilled strikers. That being the case though, if BJJ is so effective why isn't everybody doing it instead of the striking styles? Yes, BJJ has gained tons of popularity over recent decades but it still has not overtaken the striking arts as the most practiced art. In this day it shouldn't be too hard to find a BJJ school if you look for one but you will still find that most martial arts schools primarily teach striking styles and most people who train in martial arts today train in a striking art not BJJ.

Because the ground is where my opponent should be and i dont like being that close to other sweaty guys.

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
Most likely because there are those who simply don't like grappling on the ground.
Not saying they shouldn't learn ground work however, there are those who simply don't do so. Then again there are many wrestlers who don't do BJJ, many silat practitioners who don't do BJJ, many Sambo practitioners who don't do BJJ and these all have very strong ground skills in their own right.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
If BJJ is so effective, why isn't everybody doing it?

MA include kick, punch, lock, throw, and ground game. The ground game is only 1/5 of the total package. You have to use

1. kick to enter the kicking range.
2. punch to set up punch.
3. clinch to take your opponent down.
4. throw to set up your ground game.

Without 1, 2, 3, you cannot even reach to 4.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Because it is hard.
IMO, the ground game is the most easiest part of the MA training. You don't have to experience

- kick to the chest.
- punch to the head.
- throw on your head.

When you feel uncomfortable, you just tab out. The new game will start all over again. One day when you are 80 years old, you can still play ground game with your grandchildren.

foot-meet-head.jpg

fist-meets-face.jpg

head-hit-ground.png

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
IMO, the ground game is the most easiest part of the MA training. You don't have to experience

- kick to the chest.
- punch to the head.
- throw on your head.

When you feel uncomfortable, you just tab out. The new game will start all over again. One day when you are 80 years old, you can still play ground game with your grandchildren.

foot-meet-head.jpg

fist-meets-face.jpg

head-hit-ground.png

Not if you want to be any good.

And not being very good is also hard.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
While true, that's certainly not exclusive to BJJ, nor even to combat-effective training.

Although we could make the same comment about any effective combat training. Diets, or even basic life skills.

A lot more people do easy.

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I’m not going to get into arguments of practicality. BJJ and the other grappling systems have their strengths and flaws. As do striking arts. We can talk about how long one can train in any art, the toll it takes, etc. All this stuff has been debated ad nauseam.

Why do I think everyone doesn’t everyone do it? The nature of grappling itself. Most people are looking for glorified group exercise. Standing up and having your own personal space (relatively speaking) with striking arts is far more comfortable physically and mentally than being on the mat with someone all over you. Most people don’t want to “roll around on the ground with people.” They also don’t want to get drenched in someone else’s sweat.

A lot of my past and current karate training partners get uncomfortable with touching sweaty people like me in class. It’s that times 1000 in BJJ.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I’m not going to get into arguments of practicality. BJJ and the other grappling systems have their strengths and flaws. As do striking arts. We can talk about how long one can train in any art, the toll it takes, etc. All this stuff has been debated ad nauseam.

Why do I think everyone doesn’t everyone do it? The nature of grappling itself. Most people are looking for glorified group exercise. Standing up and having your own personal space (relatively speaking) with striking arts is far more comfortable physically and mentally than being on the mat with someone all over you. Most people don’t want to “roll around on the ground with people.” They also don’t want to get drenched in someone else’s sweat.

A lot of my past and current karate training partners get uncomfortable with touching sweaty people like me in class. It’s that times 1000 in BJJ.

Yeah coachy coach is messing around with smothering at the moment. And it is just a seriously sucky exercise.

frank raud

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Maybe because in some striking styles, it is relatively common to get a black belt in 2-3 years. Or because Mommy would rather put her kids in a point sparring style so little Jimmy can get a black belt before he finishes the 9th grade. Boxing doesn't included kicks or takedowns. Why would anybody want to do it?

Martial D

Senior Master
Reaction score

- kick to the chest.
- punch to the head.
- throw on your head.

foot-meet-head.jpg

fist-meets-face.jpg

head-hit-ground.png

Rolling for three minutes is more physically taxing than two hours of katas.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Maybe because in some striking styles, it is relatively common to get a black belt in 2-3 years. Or because Mommy would rather put her kids in a point sparring style so little Jimmy can get a black belt before he finishes the 9th grade. Boxing doesn't included kicks or takedowns. Why would anybody want to do it?

And by the time you get your black belt you are dropping six guys at a time.

While I am still fighting to death to get one guy.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Look at the practical reasons first, people don't all live in cities with a large choice of martial arts, many places don't have BJJ close enough to train properly at. How often have we recommended someone on here who asks what style to do to look at what's available nearby.
While BJJ is becoming more popular here in the UK we simply don't have enough instructors yet to cover the whole country. The best instructors are in the cities, too far for many to get to.

Latest Discussions