How effective is sport BJJ (or GJJ) on the Street?

oaktree

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Great discussion guys I am glad to be able to bring in some conversation to the topic at hand in relation to knife. I think bjj or any ground work is awesome just have to tweak it to deal with a knife or come up with a game plan with dealing with guy and one.
I tell my Taijiquan guys the same thing about knives and ground work be familiar with the concepts and the realism involved with it.

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hey Tony,

Glad that defense came in handy. It is the major default in that position and works well for that initial reversal!

In standing knife defense I want to run, pull out a weapon/tool, etc. if possible. If it all goes down to fast and I don't see the knife I probably missed all the other threat indicators both conscious and unconscious. So if it goes that way and I have to utilize empty hand skill sets I like you Tony want to control their knife bearing arm. I also want to light that person up so that they are fuzzy as I am doing it. Still, it is going to be a bloody endeavor.

The reality of the knife is that you have to train well, recognize the clues/threat indicators before the attack, preposition your tool to counter, run, get the hell out, etc. and have a LOT of luck on your side! Never under estimate the threat to you and or over estimate your skill set.

Tony, It is great that you are exploring, learning and getting some training in!
It is always fun to experiment and figure out what works for us individually through learning from someone qualified and then experimenting on our own!

Last edited:

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Here is a video by our own tgace on threat indicators. These are unconscious ones as there are also conscious threat indicators. Still this video is golden:

Even though this has been on MartialTalk before I know we have new members who may not have watched it!

Latest Discussions