If BJJ is so effective, why isn't everybody doing it?

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
This guy has no intention to get back up.

daily_gifdump_470_15.gif
Didn’t someone here say he won that fight? I wonder if he got up?

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Didn’t someone here say he won that fight? I wonder if he got up?
I think I heard that he won by triangle choke shortly after the moment shown in that clip, so he probably didn’t get back up in that match.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Lol... Okay. What you said is that it depends on who is teaching it. I don't think that is true. Say someone asks whether an armbar is taught in BJJ and you say, "depends on who is teaching it. I know bob teaches an armbar." While the second clause may be a fact, the first is very misleading. to someone who doesnt know that your experience in BJJ is extremely limited, would suggest that BJJ schools exist where an armbar is not taught.
Fair enough.

OP
P

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
Then again there are many wrestlers who don't do BJJ, many silat practitioners who don't do BJJ, many Sambo practitioners who don't do BJJ and these all have very strong ground skills in their own right.
One big difference between wrestling and BJJ, in wrestling you win by pinning in BJJ you win by submitting.
A wrestler would have no problem pinning a BJJ fighter but a BJJ fighter doesn't care if they get pinned. One thing a wrestler will do on the mat is turn their back towards their opponent to avoid being pinned but this is one of the worst things you can do in BJJ since it gives your opponent a good opportunity to choke you out from behind, but since choking isn't allowed in wrestling its not a problem if you're going by wrestling rules.
So wrestlers do have good ground skills when they're going up against other wrestlers and going by wrestling rules, but for self defense it would require some modification and the un-learning of certain habits.

OP
P

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
Sexist nonsense aside, I will say that for many people, rolling with the opposite sex is an even more uncomfortable issue than rolling with ones own gender. "Oh my ghad! I touched [his|her] [penis|butt|breast], what if they think it was intentional?"
This is further complicated by the fact that there certainly have been cases of coaches sexually abusing students.

We have a pair of teenage sisters in our dojang. I've been working with them for about a decade now. I am very cautious when I work with them on any technique that requires body contact that could possibly be misconstrued. How not?

You should be very cautious with any student if you're working with them on techniques that require body contact and can be misconstrued and especially with the grappling arts.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
You should be very cautious with any student if you're working with them on techniques that require body contact and can be misconstrued and especially with the grappling arts.

Sure. But I think it's pretty obvious to the vast majority that this is a bigger issue when a grown man is working with a teenage girl than with another grown man.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Here’s a funny thing, and I’m certainly not calling you out nor implying that you do this, but...

It should be obvious that this isn’t the only thing this guy does. It should be obvious that this guy doesn’t do this the entire night, night after night in the dojo. Yet when people see something we think is stupid in a karate, TKD, etc. video, they scream McDojo and say that school or better yet that entire style doesn’t know how to fight. I always find that interesting. I guess this guy gets an automatic pass because he’s BJJ. If he was a striker, there’s no doubt a few fanboys here would be screaming McDojo.

Just saying.
I think you’re completely missing the point. This is BJJ, and no one would deny it. BJJ Doesnt get a pass. Any assertion regarding BJJ can be supported by a huge body of corroborating evidence. Videos are evidence of something, not the absence of something. And video evidence that supports other kinds of experience is valuable.

So, when a single video looks goofy, such as this, we can all have a chuckle. Some will appreciate context, and others won’t.

Also, the proof is in the pudding. A striker doing something goofy in training and swearing it’s effective is going to be less meaningful than a high level striker actually applying a goofy looking technique effectively in high level competition.

I really don’t think your post occurs as often as people think.

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Thanks for that. It worked in this competition context. Possibly in MMA too because his opponent wouldn’t be able to hit him while he was down. I don’t think it would go so well in an actual fight. Against an untrained guy, sure. Against someone who would slam him or be able to kick him without getting his foot/leg caught, I don’t see it working well at all.

Gotta give him credit, he baited his opponent in seemingly perfectly.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Thanks for that. It worked in this competition context. Possibly in MMA too because his opponent wouldn’t be able to hit him while he was down. I don’t think it would go so well in an actual fight. Against an untrained guy, sure. Against someone who would slam him or be able to kick him without getting his foot/leg caught, I don’t see it working well at all.

Gotta give him credit, he baited his opponent in seemingly perfectly.

It is an interesting position.

If you are looking at relevance to an actual fight. An actual fight is a puzzle not a script. And so being able to apply those awkward dynamics become really important if you are going for mental flexibility.

He did have the leg hooked to stop the slam by the way.

And by the way a lot of things don't work if you can get kicked and punched on the deck.

Bruce7

Black Belt
Reaction score
To develop a good kicking skill is hard too.

Real liked the video.
My GM could do those kicks and breaks in his 40's

Sure. But I think it's pretty obvious to the vast majority that this is a bigger issue when a grown man is working with a teenage girl than with another grown man.

I have coached a lot of girls sports. I have blocked out in basketball, etc. Girls know If you are weird or not.
Having said that I had a Sr. girl who want to quit Tennis, because a freshman had taken her spot.
The counselor tried to talk her out of quitting. She did not want to say I got beat by a freshman and I am embarrassed.
She said I don't like the way coach looks at me. You would not believe how much trouble that cause me.
The other girls on the team found out and got the parents to defend me and everything went back to normal,
but it could have not turn out so well. It still made me nerves around the girls for a long time.

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
One big difference between wrestling and BJJ, in wrestling you win by pinning in BJJ you win by submitting.
A wrestler would have no problem pinning a BJJ fighter but a BJJ fighter doesn't care if they get pinned. One thing a wrestler will do on the mat is turn their back towards their opponent to avoid being pinned but this is one of the worst things you can do in BJJ since it gives your opponent a good opportunity to choke you out from behind, but since choking isn't allowed in wrestling its not a problem if you're going by wrestling rules.
So wrestlers do have good ground skills when they're going up against other wrestlers and going by wrestling rules, but for self defense it would require some modification and the un-learning of certain habits.
In collegiate wrestling you would be correct. In submission wrestling, catch wrestling, shooto wrestling, and other wrestling styles limb submission & chokes are allowed.

Anarax

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Heavy throws. Including suplexes are pretty common. My guess is whoever is training you is being nice. That's fine I can also be nice striking.
Not at all. My Japanese Jujitsu instructor had us do heavy/full body throws and we were conditioned to take them. Suplexes can be done in a variety of ways. I'm referring to the explosive version that you see in wresting(not WWE), not the softer trip/suplex you see in BJJ.

You can take a knee striking any time as well. Striking just doesn't do the same damage with one technique.
Comparing a knee strike to a full suplex into the ground isn't a reasonable comparison. A full force roundhouse kick/knee to the face is much closer as force/damage is concerned.

When did he have time to tap?
You have time to tap in submissions, which was my original point. JJJ is my base grappling art and my instructor heavily emphasized breakfalls and drilled us to take throws. We would spar/roll hard many classes and because of his teachings we rarely if ever had significant injuries.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Not at all. My Japanese Jujitsu instructor had us do heavy/full body throws and we were conditioned to take them. Suplexes can be done in a variety of ways. I'm referring to the explosive version that you see in wresting(not WWE), not the softer trip/suplex you see in BJJ.

Comparing a knee strike to a full suplex into the ground isn't a reasonable comparison. A full force roundhouse kick/knee to the face is much closer as force/damage is concerned.

You have time to tap in submissions, which was my original point. JJJ is my base grappling art and my instructor heavily emphasized breakfalls and drilled us to take throws. We would spar/roll hard many classes and because of his teachings we rarely if ever had significant injuries.

Ian Dreadlox on Instagram: “Just getting some airtime in between skydives @antonzafirmma #whoisiandreadlox #dreadloxworld #whitsundaymartialarts”

Ian Dreadlox on Instagram: “Rocked up to training late and got absolutely rag dolled by coach @antonzafirmma ‍♂️ hahah #whoisiandreadlox #dreadloxworld…”

Getting dumped honestly sucks more than getting hit.

Last edited:

Latest Discussions