What do u think are the most effective styles/techniques out there for the average man?

Towel Snapper

Green Belt
Reaction score
So I know this is the classic troll question that trolls love to answer with the typical "its not the style its the practitioner lark"

But us sane individuals know, that the style AND the practitioner count.

After all most styles are just a syllabus or list of techniques to learn, each style has a different list and each technique has a different degree of effectiveness. (granted its far more complex than this but just answer as best you can)

So give me first a list of styles that you think are the most effective. e.g. you may list BJJ as one of the most effective styles since it has been shown to do well against other single styles, and men of much greater strength and size.

Then give me a list of techniques that you think are most effective. e.g. you may not think TKD is one of the effective styles out there due to its poor record of wins against other stand up striking styles, BUT even though the style may not be effective, the style might still contain a technique that is really effective and worth learning, e.g. perhaps the spinning side kick.

Hanzou

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Honestly, if a woman came to me and asked me what she should learn to defend herself, I would recommend boxing or MT kickboxing and Gracie Jiujitsu. In boxing/kickboxing she will hit and get hit. In Gjj she will learn to grapple against people larger than her in compromising positions, and how to fight in all ranges. Most importantly, she will get in better shape and condition.

A good MMA gym could work as an alternative.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
So I know this is the classic troll question that trolls love to answer with the typical "its not the style its the practitioner lark"

You are right, which makes me wonder why you'd bother asking.

But us sane individuals know, that the style AND the practitioner count.

You are incorrect. The style does not matter. It is the practitioner.

After all most styles are just a syllabus or list of techniques to learn,

This too is incorrect. The techniques are only a portion of what a martial art offers.

each style has a different list and each technique has a different degree of effectiveness. (granted its far more complex than this but just answer as best you can)

Also incorrect (but hey, at least your record is perfect...). There are very few, if any techniques that are unique to a particular style or system. Different systems will stress different techniques or types of techniques, but I'd love to see you provide an example of a technique that is unique to any one system.

As for effectiveness... that is a combination of the practitioner and the specific circumstances. Whatever technique you can perform that is appropriate to the specific circumstances at that point in time will be the most effective.

[Remainder deleted - there is no point in answering questions that are based on so many false assumptions.]

OP
T

Towel Snapper

Green Belt
Reaction score

This too is incorrect. The techniques are only a portion of what a martial art offers.

Also incorrect (but hey, at least your record is perfect...). There are very few, if any techniques that are unique to a particular style or system. Different systems will stress different techniques or types of techniques, but I'd love to see you provide an example of a technique that is unique to any one system.

As for effectiveness... that is a combination of the practitioner and the specific circumstances. Whatever technique you can perform that is appropriate to the specific circumstances at that point in time will be the most effective.

[Remainder deleted - there is no point in answering questions that are based on so many false assumptions.]

trololololol

OP
T

Towel Snapper

Green Belt
Reaction score
Honestly, if a woman came to me and asked me what she should learn to defend herself, I would recommend boxing or MT kickboxing and Gracie Jiujitsu. In boxing/kickboxing she will hit and get hit. In Gjj she will learn to grapple against people larger than her in compromising positions, and how to fight in all ranges. Most importantly, she will get in better shape and condition.

A good MMA gym could work as an alternative.

Thank you great answer!

K-man

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
We are all a little biased in our opinions, some far more than others. For simplicity, effectiveness and most bang for your buck, I think it is hard to go past Krav Maga. It takes elements of other styles to make a pretty comprehensive fighting system. For example much of the ground component is BJJ, the kicking is heavily Muay Thai, the punching is Boxing, the strikes are Karate and the locks and holds are Jujutsu/Aikido. Take downs are Judo/Aikido style. It also includes use of and defence against knives, sticks, long-arms and hand guns.

And as to being tested. It is used by military and police forces around the world.
:asian:

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
What do you want out of your training? You ask 100 people, and you'll get dozens of different answers. And so, you'll have dozens of different "most effective styles."

Shoot, if you're just looking to shed a few pounds and don't want anything else, cardio kickboxing or tae bo might be the "most effective" style for you.

I personally think that just about any style CAN be effective in a fight or for self defense if trained well and pressure tested. But some styles are more consistently trained well and pressure tested than others.

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
9mm
Sharp knife
pointed stick

these to me are very effective styles of defense not that they can be learned effectively by all, even if many seem to think they know how to use them.

Hanzou

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I think it goes back to the styles that really condition you for fighting. Styles that make you get hit and make you hit back, and styles that strengthen and toughen up your body are going to create a more effective martial artist than styles like this;

and this;

If your instructor is a fat tub of lard, go elsewhere.

Last edited by a moderator:

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
trololololol

Towel Snapper,

A serious question here.

Are you saying you are a Troll? And your post was a troll post?
Or are you calling a staff member (moderator) for this forum a troll?

And as I have told a judge or two before when I ask such questions, I say Do not answer these questions for your own benefit.

If you are a troll then you may want to rethink that and try to be a positive member of this site.

If you are calling a staff member or any other member a troll based upon responding to your post, you may want to rethink this attitude as well. Insulting the staff and or disregarding the staff can bring actions from PM's to even being told you are no longer welcome here.
If you have a problem with a member it is best to use the Report To Moderator Button which is the little triangle at the bottom of the post that if you mouse over it will display "Report Post".

So, as a piece of advise I would offer you, is that you may want to understand the terms of service for this site and also to understand that your actions here, have not painted the best picture.

So there are a few ways to answer. Nothing, a denial, an answer to the questions, or an apology. All have their pro's and con's.
I look forward to your positive contributions

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score

You seem to be under a misapprehension at to what "troll" means. It does not mean "someone who expresses an opinion with which I disagree." It means "someone who expresses opinions that they don't necessarily even believe themselves just for the purpose of getting someone else upset and starting an argument."

I can guarantee that none of the people on this board who claim "it's not the style but the practitioner" are saying it to upset others or start an argument. If anything, it's a phrase more likely to be used to avoid upsetting people and starting an argument.

After all most styles are just a syllabus or list of techniques to learn, each style has a different list and each technique has a different degree of effectiveness. (granted its far more complex than this but just answer as best you can)

You are misinformed. A style is a collection of tactical concepts, physical principles, and training methods that may or may not have a fully defined and delimited syllabus of techniques.

So give me first a list of styles that you think are the most effective. e.g. you may list BJJ as one of the most effective styles since it has been shown to do well against other single styles, and men of much greater strength and size.

Then give me a list of techniques that you think are most effective. e.g. you may not think TKD is one of the effective styles out there due to its poor record of wins against other stand up striking styles, BUT even though the style may not be effective, the style might still contain a technique that is really effective and worth learning, e.g. perhaps the spinning side kick.

Tell me "effective" for what specific purpose and we can offer some meaningful answers.

Hanzou

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Tell me "effective" for what specific purpose and we can offer some meaningful answers.

Not to answer for the OP, but I believe that "effective" is the development of fighting ability, pure and simple. IMO, that's what separates legitimate styles/schools from fraudulent styles/schools.

Hong Kong Pooey

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Towel Snapper,

A serious question here.

Are you saying you are a Troll? And your post was a troll post?
Or are you calling a staff member (moderator) for this forum a troll?

And as I have told a judge or two before when I ask such questions, I say Do not answer these questions for your own benefit.

If you are a troll then you may want to rethink that and try to be a positive member of this site.

If you are calling a staff member or any other member a troll based upon responding to your post, you may want to rethink this attitude as well. Insulting the staff and or disregarding the staff can bring actions from PM's to even being told you are no longer welcome here.
If you have a problem with a member it is best to use the Report To Moderator Button which is the little triangle at the bottom of the post that if you mouse over it will display "Report Post".

So, as a piece of advise I would offer you, is that you may want to understand the terms of service for this site and also to understand that your actions here, have not painted the best picture.

So there are a few ways to answer. Nothing, a denial, an answer to the questions, or an apology. All have their pro's and con's.
I look forward to your positive contributions

The Snapp-er just became the Snapp-ed lol

To answer the original question, you can't go wrong with a good old-fashioned punch to the face

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
[h=2]What do u think are the most effective styles/techniques out there for the average man? [/h]For the average man as to what?
The average Judoka would not fare well in a boxing competition nor the average boxer in a Judo competition or in a gymnastic competition however, a martial gymnastic artist may do rather well.
Style can be important 'if' the practitioner has no real training or experience in a style based action. Like a wrestler in a muay thai event. How about taking a FMA trained man and put them in a situation vs a BJJ man as the action begins the FMA man pulls a knife style will suddenly go out the window as individual's desire to survive takes hold.

Style in football or basketball doesn't assure the championship.

If you are inquiring to self-defense in general as this is the forum for it. I opine, martial art styles have very little to do with self-defense.

If someone asked me to train them in fight back defensive actions only I'd recommend a FMA (Pekiti-Tirsia in particular) and Combat Submission Wrestling. These two 'styles' incorporate blunt and edged weapons, firearms, catch wrestling, judo, bjj, muay thai, boxing, wing chun, jkd, savate, and silat giving the individual an huge amount of skill development.

D

Dylan9d

We are all a little biased in our opinions, some far more than others. For simplicity, effectiveness and most bang for your buck, I think it is hard to go past Krav Maga.

And as to being tested. It is used by military and police forces around the world.

Military and civillian Krav Maga differ alot, also with most associations it's all about money. My last effort to pick up Krav Maga with Krav Maga Global was ended prematurely because of the whole business mentality, and when i look back to 6 years ago when i trained with the IKMF i really see that it wasn't any different there.

So i wouldn't take up Krav Maga at all.

Just in reality, how many times a year do you need self defense techniques? I haven't had to use anything i have learned last 2 years at least, so i have a better idea for people that think about these topics:

Just choose what you are interested in rather than the "most effective"

K-man

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Military and civillian Krav Maga differ alot, also with most associations it's all about money. My last effort to pick up Krav Maga with Krav Maga Global was ended prematurely because of the whole business mentality, and when i look back to 6 years ago when i trained with the IKMF i really see that it wasn't any different there.

So i wouldn't take up Krav Maga at all.

Just in reality, how many times a year do you need self defense techniques? I haven't had to use anything i have learned last 2 years at least, so i have a better idea for people that think about these topics:

Just choose what you are interested in rather than the "most effective"
I don't disagree with you at all. Just that there was a specific question in regard to effective styles. Whether or not it's all about money is not relevant. But for the record, here it is no more expensive than any other martial art.

OP
T

Towel Snapper

Green Belt
Reaction score
I don't disagree with you at all. Just that there was a specific question in regard to effective styles. Whether or not it's all about money is not relevant. But for the record, here it is no more expensive than any other martial art.

Do you think civi krav maga is like mc dojo karate? How do you learn the good stuff?

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score

I think the bold and underlined is the best possible answer. Styles survive because there are practitioners who learn them correctly and make them work for that practitioner

Latest Discussions