Identical twin studies show that homosexuality is not genetic

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

Not all things that are genetic are good.

But we generally don't deny people their basic rights for things over which they had no control. I don't think we should deny gays rights in any case, but to the extent it's genetic it might help with the argument.

OK, explain why it is so wrong if a gay person were able to choose treatment that would make him/her heterosexual? If it is their choice, how is it wrong?

In a world where--unlike ours--it could work? If they're adults, sure. It'd be their choice.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Just because some doc believes sex is a free love thing to be shared by all sexes doesn't make it true. NAMBLA has docs that believe sex with young boys is healthy and good bonding as well so that argument doesn't hold much weight with me

Some cultures have embraced cannibalism too, that doesn't make it a good thing.

Way to go nuclear, dudes.

aaradia

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Spina Bifida and Down's Syndrome are genetic...
Not all things that are genetic are good.

OK, explain why it is so wrong if a gay person were able to choose treatment that would make him/her heterosexual? If it is their choice, how is it wrong?

First off, those things are a joke. This speaker I saw once talked about how a group he was involved in like that (many years before) was a great place to pick up men. Ever follow the stories highlighted in magazines about people who got "straighened out" by one of those groups? I have. Several years later they are often found in gay bars, outed having a gay relationship. etc.

Second, they are doing so only because society is telling them that they are bad, evil, sick, immoral whatever when they are not. It is damaging to a gay persons psychology. Just as the people who used shock treatment to cure gay people phsyically and psychologically damaged people. It's a milder version, but still based on the same garbage. (And yes, I witnessed the taping of people talking about being forced into shock treatment by their parents to "cure" them when volunteering for the historical society I mentioned). Pretty horrific stories.

Third, you do realize it was taken out of the list of mental disorders as psychologists and psychiatrists became more educated on the topic, right? Like in the early to mid 70's? Being gay is NOT something that needs to be cured. We don't need "treatment" for anything but perhaps dealing with the bigotry and hatred that affects our lives.

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
You all have read about how ridiculously politically correct the DSM V is have you not? Do you really think that is a new phenomenon?

crushing

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Tolerance, as demonstrated in this thread is frequently espoused by people who completely refuse to be tolerant of any ideals, morals or thoughts of any but, their own.

The ol' "you aren't tolerant of my intolerance" line that invariably pops up in discussions regarding homosexuality. It usually comes from the poor religious martyrs that are getting beat down and can't catch a break in this world that is all to quickly going to hell.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Third, you do realize it was taken out of the list of mental disorders as psychologists and psychiatrists became more educated on the topic, right? Like in the early to mid 70's?
Actually if you listen to interviews from docs that were part of the change it was due to political pressure from gay rights groups. It had little to do with research

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Actually if you listen to interviews from docs that were part of the change it was due to political pressure from gay rights groups. It had little to do with research

be it as it may, it's hardly a mental issue, or rather it's not really damaging.
(and as the spread of AIDS has shown, the boundaries really do not exist)

Aiki Lee

Master of Arts
Reaction score
You all have read about how ridiculously politically correct the DSM V is have you not? Do you really think that is a new phenomenon?

The DSM V is controversial but not for any “political correctness”. Changes from the DSM IV-TR to the DSM V include dropping Asperger’s as a distinct disorder and including it as a subset of the autism spectrum, chaining the title of mental retardation to intellectually delayed (means the same thing really), dropping the sub-categories ofschizophrenia, drops bereavement, expands the age allowance for pica and rumination disorders, and changed the name of gender identity disorder to gender dysphoria. Gender dysphoria has also been removed from the sexual disorders list and given its own category with a special subset for children experiencing issues with gender identity.
The controversy stands not for anything specifically to do with the diagnosis of any disorder but with the treatment recommendations.It is believed that there was possible pharmaceutical company influence on the members of the APA which constitutes a conflict of interest to the doctors involved. Of course none of this has to do with gender dysphoria or homosexuality because they are not treated with pharmaceuticals.

Aiki Lee

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Actually if you listen to interviewsfrom docs that were part of the change it was due to political pressure fromgay rights groups. It had little to do with research

Having it in there in the first place had little to dowith research. There are not problems arising from identifying as homosexual.The problem lies in social stigma which leads to depressive disorders. A person identifying as homosexual who is not accepted by his or her peers, family or society would very likely face depression and see a psychiatrist or psychologist. Back in the day it was wrongly thought that just being gay made you mentally ill, but it doesn’t. Being rejected and hated just for being different from the majority makes you depressed.
It was never a psych problem so they took it out. It was and still is a societal problem.

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
If its not genetic as some claim and, serves no biological benefit then perhaps it is a mental illness of some kind. Some chemicals messed up or unbalanced in the brain

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
If its not genetic as some claim and, serves no biological benefit then perhaps it is a mental illness of some kind. Some chemicals messed up or unbalanced in the brain

well, if you see it as harmful. But is it?

It's not like depression, or bi-polar or whatever....If left alone nobody get harmed any worse than from hetero people.

The Greek had it figured out (some say, it got so popular, on both sides, that they had to actively encourage inter-gender fornication to get some babies...not sure tho, forgot where I read that)

Somewhere in the Thora it says man shall not lie with a man...practical reasons...small tribe wandering through the desert...we gotta make babies. Aside from that? I don't think it was the downfall of the Hellenistic civilization....it had a good run for several centuries!

And while I grant you that animals can be wired just as wrong as humans, homosexual behavior has been recorded across many species, without ill effects. Should make one wonder...if it's so 'unnatural' why does it happen so much in nature?

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

Or, sexual orientation is not as rigid as we think, and people fall at different points along a scale. If it's a mental illness, it should cause some dysfunction in a person's life. It woul dhave to be more than not wanting children (which isn't necessarily true of homosexuals, BTW)--we don't consider straight couples without kids to be mentally ill. What would the illness be, exactly?

aaradia

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Just want to point out that Ancient Greece was not so much one unified country, but a mix of various City States that often warred with each other. They had different cultures and differing values within those City States. Athens and Sparta were not the same and should not be lumped in together as the same.

Not all of Ancient Greece was accepting of homosexuality.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
All true, but it was much more widely accepted throughout Greece then here--but in different ways. Through the agoge system in Sparta, older warriors with apprenticed younger warriors, for example.

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Or, sexual orientation is not as rigid as we think, and people fall at different points along a scale. If it's a mental illness, it should cause some dysfunction in a person's life. It woul dhave to be more than not wanting children (which isn't necessarily true of homosexuals, BTW)--we don't consider straight couples without kids to be mentally ill. What would the illness be, exactly?
I don't think it has anything to do with wanting children. It has to do with having a physical attraction that is not a normal thing. For example when I watch that show about people in love with cars or walls or trees that is no doubt a mental illness. Now is that a bad thing? Not in my opinion. Is it something that needs to be treated? Not in my opinion. Is it even worth studying? Again no not in my opinion.

OP
Makalakumu

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
All true, but it was much more widely accepted throughout Greece then here--but in different ways. Through the agoge system in Sparta, older warriors with apprenticed younger warriors, for example.

The point I made earlier is that at least some part of homosexual behavior is cultural in origin. Apparently, humans don't need to have any "gay genes" in order to care for and have sexual relations with people of the same sex. I think this shows that human sexuality is a lot more flexible than is assumed in our culture.

With all of these cultural examples, I find it hard to support the notion of "orientation" as purely something derived from nature or nurture.