Identical twin studies show that homosexuality is not genetic

OP
Makalakumu

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
But encouraging homosexuality goes against our instinct to breed.

People have sex with each other for lots of other reasons. Sex for procreation is only one drive that humans manage. If you consider how infertile males and females actually are and the amounts of sex acts that go on between actual fertilization, I think it could be safely said that sex for procreation is not necessarily even one of the primary reasons for sex.

Dr. Christopher Ryan wrote a book called Sex at Dawn that goes into the evolutionary history of sex in humans and other primates. Very fascinating reading. According to this book, the sexual experience is a bonding experience and is not limited to sex between males and females. Regarding orientation, people in other cultures have had a much freer view of who could bond with who. Which brings up a point about sexual orientation that I think this study points at. If people in other cultures can regularly take same sex lovers, then some part of orientation is obviously cultural phenomenon.

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Or saying being gay is wrong and we can fix you. Look research shows your not born this way so take this pill and you will be better.
Spina Bifida and Down's Syndrome are genetic...
Not all things that are genetic are good.
Or saying being gay is wrong and we can fix you. Look research shows your not born this way so take this pill and you will be better.
OK, explain why it is so wrong if a gay person were able to choose treatment that would make him/her heterosexual? If it is their choice, how is it wrong?

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Just because some doc believes sex is a free love thing to be shared by all sexes doesn't make it true. NAMBLA has docs that believe sex with young boys is healthy and good bonding as well so that argument doesn't hold much weight with me

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Eh. Plenty of cultures have separated out having sex for reproduction and having sex for pleasure. In ancient Greece, in modern rural Afghanistan, it's been commonplace for a man to have a wife for producing children and transferring property to the next generation but to also have a male lover for sex-for-pleasure.
Some cultures have embraced cannibalism too, that doesn't make it a good thing.

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Never said they were I said I'd rather spend the time money and research on other more important things like ending cancer. I could careless who's gay and why.
OK, explain why it is so wrong if a gay person were able to choose treatment that would make him/her heterosexual? If it is their choice, how is it wrong?
Never said that either but if your gay and dont want to be then dont. Gi back to the 1st part the study to me is a waist of time money and. Energy

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Never said they were I said I'd rather spend the time money and research on other more important things like ending cancer. I could careless who's gay and why.

Never said that either but if your gay and dont want to be then dont. Gi back to the 1st part the study to me is a waist of time money and. Energy
No, you didn't but, there are those who act as if that is tantamount to rape.

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Tolerance, as demonstrated in this thread is frequently espoused by people who completely refuse to be tolerant of any ideals, morals or thoughts of any but, their own.

OP
Makalakumu

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Just because some doc believes sex is a free love thing to be shared by all sexes doesn't make it true. NAMBLA has docs that believe sex with young boys is healthy and good bonding as well so that argument doesn't hold much weight with me

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Homosexuality_in_the_militaries_of_ancient_Greece

Homosexuality in the militaries of ancient Greece was regarded as contributing to morale.[SUP][1][/SUP] Although the primary example is the Sacred Band of Thebes, a unit said to have been formed of same-sex couples, the Spartan tradition of military heroism has also been explained in light of strong emotional bonds resulting from homosexual relationships.[SUP][2][/SUP] Various ancient Greek sources record incidents of courage in battle and interpret them as motivated by homoerotic bonds.

It is only the accident of birth that keeps some men from engaging in homosexual activity. If you were born thousands of year ago in Greece and had chosen the profession of soldier, you might have had a gay lover.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Anecdotal? Sure, does that mean it is not true, NO.
Yes, some people do choose to be gay.
If a woman is bi-sexual and is in a committed relationship with another woman, is she choosing to be gay or simply choosing to be monogamous? Similarly, if a bi-sexual woman is in a committed, monogamous relationship with a man, is she choosing to be straight?

Here's another question. If a guy is gay and is sexually attracted to men, but marries a woman, is he choosing to be straight?

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Tolerance, as demonstrated in this thread is frequently espoused by people who completely refuse to be tolerant of any ideals, morals or thoughts of any but, their own.
$pot-kettle-black.jpg

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
So, you're intentionally missing the point? What, are you channeling another poster?

Sorry, no, I have NEVER advocated tolerance. Tolerance is for the weak willed, the weak minded and, well, the testicularly challenged...

So Don, what exactly is your position? Do you believe that homosexuality is evil and an abomination? Does that description hit close to the mark? Why not just come out and say how you feel about it? Let your inner bigot free.

Last edited:

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
If a woman is bi-sexual and is in a committed relationship with another woman, is she choosing to be gay or simply choosing to be monogamous? Similarly, if a bi-sexual woman is in a committed, monogamous relationship with a man, is she choosing to be straight?

ooh! ooh! I know! I know the answer! She's choosing to be in a relationship with someone she is attracted to and loves! Do I win a prize?

Here's another question. If a guy is gay and is sexually attracted to men, but marries a woman, is he choosing to be straight?

ooh!! I know this one too!! He is in the closet and feels he needs to have a "beard" to hide is homosexuality because he has an intolerant family who will probably disown him and/or lives in an area where he feels his life might be in danger if the other fellows suspect he might be gay. He'll have a couple of children in this marriage as a way of perpetuating the deception and he will spend his years stamping down his misery and attempting to simply soldier on in a desperate hope that someday he might find the cure for Gay. Eventually he will start taking "business" trips to places like San Francisco or South Beach Miami where there is a large, open, loving and supportive gay community where he will have affairs with gay men, compounding the constant guilt that he feels. Eventually his wife will figure things out, the marriage will collapse, the kids will be traumatized and told that their father is the son of Satan, and the guy will either commit suicide or will move to San Francisco or South Beach and find acceptance, love, and happiness. Gee, too bad he couldn't have simply been honest about who he is from the start and found love and acceptance in his life. Would have avoided all these problems.

If he didn't get married, then the other option he might have considered is the priesthood in the Catholic church. That's another good place to hide from your gayness, and try to pray it away.

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
You are clearly a bigot for denying that some people do choose homosexuality, you're other things too, but, I don't feel like a warning, so...

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Sorry, no, I have NEVER advocated tolerance. Tolerance is for the weak willed, the weak minded and, well, the testicularly challenged...
I stand corrected. You're admitting that you're a bigot, but at least you're a self aware bigot. Not sure where we can go from here, Don.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
You are clearly a bigot for denying that some people do choose homosexuality, you're other things too, but, I don't feel like a warning, so...
Wait. Hold on. I wish I'd seen this post before I posted my last one. You literally cannot be a bigot AND tolerant. They are antonyms. Flying Crane is advocating tolerance, and so by definition cannot be a bigot. Conversely, by definition, if you proclaim yourself to be absolutely intolerant of the beliefs of others (and even by your own admission, intolerant of even being tolerant) you are the quintessential bigot. You can't be both. That's like saying you're both gay AND straight. Just not possible.

A little vocabulary lesson for Big Don:

tol·er·ance

[tol-er-uh
thinsp.png
thinsp.png
ns
] Show IPA

noun1.a fair, objective, and permissive attitude toward those whose opinions, practices, race, religion,nationality, etc., differ from one's own; freedom from bigotry.

big·ot

[big-uh
thinsp.png
thinsp.png
t
] Show IPA

nouna person who is utterly intolerant of any differing creed, belief, or opinion.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
ATTENTION ALL USERS:

Please keep the conversation polite & respectful.

jks9199
Asst. Administrator

Latest Discussions