Identical twin studies show that homosexuality is not genetic

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Well natures I guess since the goal of the species is to ensure its survival

I don't think that's supportable, especially when we are talking about humans. Procreation is most definitely not the only reason for sex. In the animal world we can look at the Bonobos, sometimes called "pigmy chimpanzees" (incorrectly so, as they are a distinct species but they look very very similar). Their social interactions center largely on sexual interaction, including between members of the same sex.

At any rate, I think the mistake is in believing that there are only two sexes and one sexuality. In my opinion, there are more than that. There are male and female and heterosexual, but also bi and gay as real sexualities that ought to be included in the list. Trying to make hetero and "the" sexuality is a mistake and as long as we keep trying to have only one catagory for that, well we are just gonna keep having trouble with it. I believe that bi and homo and possibly some other sexual orientations that don't fit quite so cleanly into these categories, are entirely normal sexualities. Just because they are found less commonly in society doesn't mean they are not normal.

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Just because they are found less commonly in society doesn't mean they are not normal.

That's exactly what it mean. That's what normal is what a majority of society does. That's what makes something normal.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
That's exactly what it mean. That's what normal is what a majority of society does. That's what makes something normal.

unless there's a semantics issue that I'm missing, I think it's not supportable. I'll say it again: just because something isn't found as frequently in the population, doesn't mean it isn't normal. Normal is not defined as "what the majority do". That would be the definition of "common". But that's not the same as "normal".

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
OK so if what a small % of what people do is normal then what is abnormal?

OP
Makalakumu

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score

What if homosexuality is common in a society? Wouldn't that become part of the new "normal"?

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
What if homosexuality is common in a society? Wouldn't that become part of the new "normal"?

Yes normal changes as people change. Lots of things that were normal aren't anymore and things that weren't before now are.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

That doesn't wash. By that definition, being male is abnormal. There's normal variation. Homosexuality is like that. Is there a 'normal' eye color?

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
That doesn't wash. By that definition, being male is abnormal. There's normal variation. Homosexuality is like that. Is there a 'normal' eye color?

So whats the definition then? If being straight is normal being gay is normal bisexuality is normal. Is anything not normal?

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
So whats the definition then? If being straight is normal being gay is normal bisexuality is normal. Is anything not normal?

Yes, but not where sexual orientation itself is concerned. Attraction to inanimate objects, say, is abnormal--amongst other things, it often causes problems (distress).

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Yes, but not where sexual orientation itself is concerned. Attraction to inanimate objects, say, is abnormal--amongst other things, it often causes problems (distress).

But whats the purpose of attraction? To aid in making the next generation of the species. So in the case of gay attraction its abnormal

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
What makes it normal and right? Why does "normal" and "right" even matter?

Because we live in a society and knowing what's "right" is what makes society work.
Normal doesn't matter much other then as a label. But that's what this topic is about I guess studying why being gay isn't normal. If it was normal we would not need to conduct a study

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Because we live in a society and knowing what's "right" is what makes society work.
Normal doesn't matter much other then as a label. But that's what this topic is about I guess studying why being gay isn't normal. If it was normal we would not need to conduct a study

see, that's where I'm saying I think that we as a society need to recognize it at normal, altho perhaps not as common as hetero, and stop trying to categorize it as abnormal.

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Depends on the issue, but I don't think you can just carry that over in this issue.

Why because its not PC to talk about it? What's the difference? Being different doesn't mean its evil or wrong just means its different then normal

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
see, that's where I'm saying I think that we as a society need to recognize it at normal, altho perhaps not as common as hetero, and stop trying to categorize it as abnormal.

You act as if abnormal =wrong. I don't see it that way it just is different or not normal

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Why because its not PC to talk about it? What's the difference? Being different doesn't mean its evil or wrong just means its different then normal

I agree, different doesn't necessarily need to mean wrong or evil, different can still be normal. Homo is different from Bi is different from Hetero. And yet they are all normal. They have all been recorded in human society for thousands of years, this has been around for as long as humanity, and perhaps longer in the animal world. It's normal, we need to stop pretending that it's not normal.

The problem is that by pretending it's not normal, often what is put forth by people with an agenda, or who simply lack tolerance to differences in humanity, is that this particular difference IS wrong or evil. It's not. It's just different, but within the scope of humanity, it's absolutely normal. It has a legitimate place on the spectrum of human existence and human experience.

Latest Discussions