Identical twin studies show that homosexuality is not genetic

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Shouldn't there be fewer studies of identical twins and a lot more studies of evil twins?

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The womb environment is though to have a significant effect--not genetic but pre-birth. Most twin studies have shown an effect but not one that explains it all.

OP
Makalakumu

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
The womb environment is though to have a significant effect--not genetic but pre-birth. Most twin studies have shown an effect but not one that explains it all.

Epigenetics?

Manseau

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
http://www.hollanddavis.com/?p=3647

This is very interesting, if people aren't born with it, then something in the environment is causing people to learn this behavior. Intersting.
I tend to believe that genetic make up is responsible for a portion of the incidence of homosexuality which I don't see as inherently evil. I think the rest of them are simply confused, opportunists (gay is in), or ambivalent about their sexual orientation. To the former I extend my hand in friendship and understanding. To the latter I extend my middle finger in contempt.

David

DennisBreene

3rd Black Belt
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
A lot of genetic influence is not expressed at 100% The influence is more at the level of heightened pre-disposition. It would be interesting to see what the percentages were on control populations (fraternal twins, siblings, the baseline incidence in the general population). While the concordance was low, and suggests significant environmental influence, the article doesn't give enough statistical analysis to draw the conclusion that there is not a genetic component. Practically, does it matter? Homosexuality exists. It is not felt to be a psychiatric disorder. If one is comfortable with one's sexual orientation, I believe most of society has moved toward a laissez faire approach if not actual support for individual choice in sexual orientation.

jezr74

Master of Arts
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I tend to believe that genetic make up is responsible for a portion of the incidence of homosexuality which I don't see as inherently evil. I think the rest of them are simply confused, opportunists (gay is in), or ambivalent about their sexual orientation. To the former I extend my hand in friendship and understanding. To the latter I extend my middle finger in contempt.

David

What do you mean? You think being homosexual is evil, and some people see it as an opportunity?

Why should you care if someone decides to explore, or has a leaning towards bi-sexual, homosexual or heterosexual lifestyle? Do you care about people having the latest style haircut or clothes?

Aiki Lee

Master of Arts
Reaction score
A person's sexual orientation is not decided by simply one factor. There are genetic causes, environmental causes, psychological causes, and simply an overall acceptance of what someone can be comfortable with.

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Makes sense there is no genetic or eveloutionary benefit to being gay. It doesn't help prolong the gene pool or the species. In fact bit would be counter productive

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
What I find interesting about this article is that it is says "Identical twin studies prove homosexuality is not genetic" and then later it states “At best genetics is a minor factor,”

So it is saying it is not genetic...but it might be a little bit genetic

To me this is saying something like "We have proved that the bomb did not explode...well it may have exploded a little bit"

IMO a better title for the article would be "Identical twin studies show that homosexuality might not be genetic"

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Shouldn't there be fewer studies of identical twins and a lot more studies of evil twins?

Well they tried that...but evil twins being evil....well... most of the researchers have never been found.... of those that were found, many refused to talk about it and those that did talk about it discovered that the evil twin was lying most of the time so the data they collected was useless....and then they later disappeared as well never to be seen again

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I found it interesting that there was supposedly a lot of changes during therapy....if that doesn't give some people hope that Teh Gay can be prayed away yet.....

Manseau

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
What do you mean? You think being homosexual is evil, and some people see it as an opportunity?

Why should you care if someone decides to explore, or has a leaning towards bi-sexual, homosexual or heterosexual lifestyle? Do you care about people having the latest style haircut or clothes?
I said being homosexual (and would expand that to being gay) is not inherently evil. Look up the definition of inherently.
It has become a cause celebre walking hand in hand with political correctness to force itself on organizations and individuals who are morally intolerant of that view in spite of their rights under the first amendment.
If you chose to dabble any life style be it bi-sexual, homosexual, trans-sexual, or any other way, it matters not a whit to me as long as it has no impact on me in a free society.
Not sure where the clothes and haircut thing comes in but that's your thing, not mine.

jezr74

Master of Arts
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I said being homosexual (and would expand that to being gay) is not inherently evil. Look up the definition of inherently.
It has become a cause celebre walking hand in hand with political correctness to force itself on organizations and individuals who are morally intolerant of that view in spite of their rights under the first amendment.
If you chose to dabble any life style be it bi-sexual, homosexual, trans-sexual, or any other way, it matters not a whit to me as long as it has no impact on me in a free society.
Not sure where the clothes and haircut thing comes in but that's your thing, not mine.

That's what I'm asking, what is the evil part about? your statement..
responsible for a portion of the incidence of homosexuality which I don't see as inherently evil.

Are you saying that in some cases it is evil?

it matters not a whit to me as long as it has no impact on me in a free society. Not sure where the clothes and haircut thing comes in but that's your thing, not mine.

That's not correct, you have made a comment of your opinion. You even went so far as to say, that people that make the choice beyond genetics you would extend the finger to.

Who has has forced what on who?

jezr74

Master of Arts
Supporting Member
Reaction score
http://www.hollanddavis.com/?p=3647

This is very interesting, if people aren't born with it, then something in the environment is causing people to learn this behavior. Intersting.

I guess it's similar to any other attraction instinct in humans.

I must say I become more skeptical when I see articles like this hosted on a christian site, and I do first ponder the hidden agenda. But I guess science is handy just not sure of the premise. I'm not sure how many people actually put merit in the genetic stance in the first place.

You haven't actually stated yourself what it is exactly you find interesting about the article to post it.

Some other sources..
http://www.worldpolicy.newschool.edu/wpi/globalrights/sexorient/twins.html
http://www.mygenes.co.nz/PDFs/Ch10.pdf

Last edited:

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
as to the original post, one only need look at the fact that many gay and lesbian people have fathered or mothered a child, and that child has about the same chance of being gay or lesbian as the rest of society. So it's not AUTOMATICALLY inherited. But I would be very very surprised if genetics played no role in it.

OP
Makalakumu

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I guess it's similar to any other attraction instinct in humans.

I must say I become more skeptical when I see articles like this hosted on a christian site, and I do first ponder the hidden agenda. But I guess science is handy just not sure of the premise. I'm not sure how many people actually put merit in the genetic stance in the first place.

You haven't actually stated yourself what it is exactly you find interesting about the article to post it.

Some other sources..
http://www.worldpolicy.newschool.edu/wpi/globalrights/sexorient/twins.html
http://www.mygenes.co.nz/PDFs/Ch10.pdf

First of all, this doesn't affect my position on whether or not homosexuals should be allowed to marry. I think consenting adults should be allowed to enter into any kind of arrangement with each other and the government need not be involved at all. Two men, two women, man and woman, moresomes, if it harm none, do what thou wilt.

Secondly, it's interesting that you bring up the fact that this was posted on a Christian site. The argument they often make is that if homosexuality is not something you are born with, then it is unnatural and can be prayed away or some other BS. What they fail to recognize is that if homosexuality is caused by the environment, then the vaunted "Christian lifestyle" is actually no better at "preventing" people from being gay. As far as I know, there are just as many gay people in Christian families as there are in anyone elses family. I am not saying that homosexuality is caused by Christianity, by the way. There just isn't any demonstrable difference between Christian and non-Christian environments and the prevalence of homosexuality.

It's interesting when you start to consider the implications of an environmental cause for homosexuality.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score

David

This is interesting. Why do you hold some in contempt? That stood out to me

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
This is interesting. Why do you hold some in contempt? That stood out to me

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

It also raises the question: IF the distiction he is making even were to exist, how would he be able to tell the difference?