I pass my 2nd degree Brown Belt Test

KenpoMaster805

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I just took my Kenpo Karate test Via online zoom on Thursday and i pass with flying colors I'm know officially 2nd degree Brown Belt and I'm proud of my self thanks to my Sifu Jesus for making it possible

Cynik75

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Are the belts in Kenpo Karate related to fighting ability (for example mostly winning sparring against green belts to get brown belt, brings medals from competitions) or it is enough to show some forms/katas to pass the exam?

OP
KenpoMaster805

KenpoMaster805

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Kenpo is not related to fighting ability

The only way to earn a belt is do your 10 yellow belt technique your 24 2nd brown belt technique all your sets and form your 40 questions knife set of course the sparring is require

Trophy is only if you wanna competer

OP
KenpoMaster805

KenpoMaster805

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Are the belts in Kenpo Karate related to fighting ability (for example mostly winning sparring against green belts to get brown belt, brings medals from competitions) or it is enough to show some forms/katas to pass the exam?

The only way to earn a belt is do your 10 yellow belt technique your 24 2nd brown belt technique all your sets and form your 40 questions knife set of course the sparring is require

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score

This depends on the dojo. Both the kenpo and kempo school I have a black belt in, at higher belts sparring was an essential part of the tests.

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
Well congrats I guess. I'd have personally waited until I could take the test properly but it is what it is

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
There should always be sparring in a test but winning and losing doesn't get you the belt. You need to do your forms and also self defence techniques....those are usually done on an attacker but since this one was done online obviously that didn't happen. I don't want to be a jerk but tbh a second brown belt is a high level belt (2 before black) and should be done in the proper conditions

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
There should always be sparring in a test but winning and losing doesn't get you the belt. You need to do your forms and also self defence techniques....those are usually done on an attacker but since this one was done online obviously that didn't happen. I don't want to be a jerk but tbh a second brown belt is a high level belt (2 before black) and should be done in the proper conditions

At my TKD school, we figure it's okay to make promotions without sparring during quarantine, since by the next promotion test we will hopefully be re-opened and they can spar again.

We're not doing Dan tests until we can do them in person, though.

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
At my TKD school, we figure it's okay to make promotions without sparring during quarantine, since by the next promotion test we will hopefully be re-opened and they can spar again.

We're not doing Dan tests until we can do them in person, though.
Yeah but the thing with kenpo is a huge part of it is self defence techniques that should be done on a body as it shows you are using the correct principles and controlling the body in the right way and cancelling what you need to cancel and showing you can effectively stop an attack also you need to remember the attacks for each other technique to give the attack to your partner. All these things are severely negated by an online test. Especially for such a high rank. I mean for yellow belt then fair enough but for a second brown....I'm not trying to be a jerk and talk trash. The OP did what he had to do I can't fault him but personally I would never have graded someone for any brown belt over an online test and as a student I wouldn't have wanted to be given one in that circumstance. But that's just me

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
This depends on the dojo. Both the kenpo and kempo school I have a black belt in, at higher belts sparring was an essential part of the tests.
Yeah to me sparring should always be a part of it but even if it's not the self defence techniques should be done on a body to show self control and being able to control your partner/attacker and to put in the right body checks and make sure your striking to the right targets and working on your adaptability of working with different sized people. Yes you can practice your techniques in the air and it's a valid training method which is important to get the flow but in the air you can't show that you are using the correct principles and cancelling out height, width and depth or show that you can offset the attacker in the desired way

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Yeah but the thing with kenpo is a huge part of it is self defence techniques that should be done on a body as it shows you are using the correct principles and controlling the body in the right way and cancelling what you need to cancel and showing you can effectively stop an attack also you need to remember the attacks for each other technique to give the attack to your partner. All these things are severely negated by an online test. Especially for such a high rank. I mean for yellow belt then fair enough but for a second brown....I'm not trying to be a jerk and talk trash. The OP did what he had to do I can't fault him but personally I would never have graded someone for any brown belt over an online test and as a student I wouldn't have wanted to be given one in that circumstance. But that's just me

And they probably saw that on his 1st brown test, and they will probably see that on his 3rd brown test (or whatever the order is).

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
And they probably saw that on his 1st brown test, and they will probably see that on his 3rd brown test (or whatever the order is).
Well that's a bit of a rubbish attitude we already saw it so don't need to see it again....well yeah they saw it then and now since its a new belt it needs to be better than before.
Obviously you're going to be all for it because it's what you're selling but I completely disagree with online gradings especially for adult high ranks

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Well that's a bit of a rubbish attitude we already saw it so don't need to see it again....well yeah they saw it then and now since its a new belt it needs to be better than before.
Obviously you're going to be all for it because it's what you're selling but I completely disagree with online gradings especially for adult high ranks

I'm not saying never see it again. I'm saying they'll see it again on the next test.

And let's say he actually wasn't up to par in this test. Oh well. When they come back to class, any deficiencies in his technique can be fixed. Then they'll figure out what he needs to improve before his next test. It's one belt. It's not like he's going up several belts during this time.

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
A question in a non-judgemental way...

If someone promotes through a Zoom-type test, do they start learning the new material for the next rank afterwards through online instruction, or are instructors waiting until the lockdown is over before teaching new material?

Edit: Sorry... Congratulations on your promotion!

Cynik75

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Online test are wrong way. Just like Gracies promoting people for BJJ blue belts only by online watching. First step to Mc Dojo.

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
Online test are wrong way. Just like Gracies promoting people for BJJ blue belts only by online watching. First step to Mc Dojo.
Pretty much, I understand the way things are right now instructors are short of cash and want to do gradings to collect the grading fee but it's not the right way to do it at all and frankly it cheapens the art and the practitioner. Because no matter what they do in that online test it is not the same as a proper test and they do not have the partner to work with. People can use the sales pitch as much as they like but the reality is no matter what an online test is a tonned down and easier test than a proper one

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
Brother, congratulations! I know how much you love your art, and this is a big deal for you. Well done mate that's awesome :)

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
A question in a non-judgemental way...

If someone promotes through a Zoom-type test, do they start learning the new material for the next rank afterwards through online instruction, or are instructors waiting until the lockdown is over before teaching new material?

Edit: Sorry... Congratulations on your promotion!

We start teaching the new stuff right away. The forms and strikes are somewhat easy to teach online. We'll clean up the techniques when we get back. The grappling skills are harder to teach, so we're not focusing on those as much right now.

Latest Discussions