Brown Belt Degrees?

shane23ss

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I wanted to ask you EPAK guys about the brown belt degrees. Some of you know I come from a hybrid kenpo system where we didn't have degrees to the brown. I was wondering is 1st degree brown lower than 3rd degree and does 1st degree have 3 stripes, 2nd degree 2 stripes, and 3rd degree have 1? Like I said, my system didn't have degrees to the brown belt. We did not have a purple belt either. We had 3 degrees to the blue belt, with 3rd degree with 3 stripes being higher than 1st degree with 1. Thanks for your help.:asian:

Kenpodoc

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
First degree is more advanced than 3rd degree. We wear no stripes for 3rd degree, 2 stripes for second degree and 3 stripes for first degree. Personally I just wore plain brown the whole time and my instructor humored me. There is a lot of variation between EPAK schools.

Jeff

OP
shane23ss

shane23ss

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Kenpodoc said:
First degree is more advanced than 3rd degree. We wear no stripes for 3rd degree, 2 stripes for second degree and 3 stripes for first degree. Personally I just wore plain brown the whole time and my instructor humored me. There is a lot of variation between EPAK schools.

Jeff
Thanks Jeff.:asian: Is anyone out there different?

OP
shane23ss

shane23ss

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Did you guys have any grappling in EPAK? In my system, we had EPAK purple belt techniques for 1st degree blue, EPAK blue belt techs for 2nd degree, and grappling for 3rd. then it picked up with EPAK green techs for green again and so on.

Danjo

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Same for us in Shaolin Kempo: 3rd degree, then 2nd, then 1st, then Shodan etc. It confused me too when I began because they seemed to use the terms degree for what in Shotokan we used kyu. Dan= degree and kyu = grade. So in Judo and Shotokan the English is 3rd grade (kyu) Brown, etc. You'rew not a "degree" until black belt. Oh well.

OP
shane23ss

shane23ss

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Danjo said:
Same for us in Shaolin Kempo: 3rd degree, then 2nd, then 1st, then Shodan etc. It confused me too when I began because they seemed to use the terms degree for what in Shotokan we used kyu. Dan= degree and kyu = grade. So in Judo and Shotokan the English is 3rd grade (kyu) Brown, etc. You'rew not a "degree" until black belt. Oh well.
Yeah, it was confussing to me when talking to EPAK guys. They were talking about 1st degree brown and so on. I knew EPAK had degrees/kyu to the brown but didnt realize that 1st was higher than 3rd. Anyone know why that is?

Bill Lear

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Third Degree Brown Belt = 1 black stripe

Second Degree Brown Belt = 2 black stripes

First Degree Brown Belt = 3 black stripes

OP
shane23ss

shane23ss

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Danjo, I replied to your comment over on the "How close is the UFC to a real fight"

OP
shane23ss

shane23ss

Blue Belt
Reaction score
At what level did you guys change from white gi to black?

Shodan

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Ours is the same as Bill Lear said for brown ranks. We have the option of wearing black gis after Purple belt.

:asian: :karate:

Michael Billings

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
See HERE for Belt Ranks in EPAK (as well as Tracy and others), on my website.

Grappling is fairly common in a lot of Kenpo schools. Mr. Sepulveda's AKTS association has a lot of BJJ grapplers in it and it is frequently taught in schools, seminars and camps ... even if it is not part of the "required" curriculum.

-Michael

Bill Lear

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Michael Billings said:
See HERE for Belt Ranks in EPAK (as well as Tracy and others), on my website.

Grappling is fairly common in a lot of Kenpo schools. Mr. Sepulveda's AKTS association has a lot of BJJ grapplers in it and it is frequently taught in schools, seminars and camps ... even if it is not part of the "required" curriculum.

-Michael

Yep... We work on ground fighting too.
:partyon:

OP
shane23ss

shane23ss

Blue Belt
Reaction score
As far as the gi change, in my school we changed to black gi when promoted to blue belt.

W

WhiteTiger

It is my understanding that this is a hold over from the day when there were no colored belts, only White, Brown, and Black. It is White Belt which was broken into 5 "Sub-belts" and leaving the existing 3 kyu's of brown belt. Which is the source of the numbering in reverse order, Sankyu (3rd grade), Nikyu (2nd grade), Ikkyu (1st grade).

dubljay

Master of Arts
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
WhiteTiger said:
It is my understanding that this is a hold over from the day when there were no colored belts, only White, Brown, and Black. It is White Belt which was broken into 5 "Sub-belts" and leaving the existing 3 kyu's of brown belt. Which is the source of the numbering in reverse order, Sankyu (3rd grade), Nikyu (2nd grade), Ikkyu (1st grade).
Yes that is correct

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I have heared that originaly The levels of brown were not meant to be belt levels but simply one rank divided into three parts. It was only later that they became three distinct ranks. This is what I heared.
Sean

KENPOJOE

Brown Belt
Reaction score
WhiteTiger said:

Hi folks,
I've always decoratively refered to this as "the countdown to black belt"!
BEGOOD,
KENPOJOE

Kenpobuff

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Our system uses the brown belts like this.

1st degree, 3rd class-three ranks from black, one black stripe.
2nd degree, 2nd class..., two stripes.
3rd degree, 1st class..., three stripes.

For a twist our school changed from the colored belts system to a modified version that White Tiger described from the old school. We now have:

Two degrees of white, representing the beginner-orange and purple belts.
Two degrees of green, intermediate-blue and green.
Three degrees of brown for advanced.

Does anyone have other versions?

Latest Discussions