Maintain flexibility in your old age

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Talk' started by Kung Fu Wang, May 20, 2020.

1. Kung Fu Wang

Kung Fu Wang Grandmaster

I have always believed that to maintain flexibility in old age is difficult (if not impossible). After I have seen this clip, I just realize that I was wrong. I believe Pan did this when he was in his 70.

Your thought?

2. dvcochran

dvcochran Senior Master

• Supporting Member
    I hear you. I can definitely tell when I do not stretch for a while then come back to it. The older I get the longer it takes to get back to where I was before.
    Especially this time of year I find it very hard to make time for stretching on my own. But I do know it helps greatly. Consistency is the key. Injury (lack of) and genetics play a factor as you get older.

3. JowGaWolf

JowGaWolf Grandmaster

The older you get and more you have to do. I'm' learning that the hard way now. My flexibility has a short shelf life between stretches and I lose that flexibility faster than I did 10 years ago. I've had to come to the harsh reality that I need to make stretching a priority training piece and not just a warm up or cool down activity that I do. It has to be a focus now and just as important as my other training.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. jobo

jobo Grandmaster

i found after multiple in depth and focused flexibility training routeens that the best thing to do is a few simple stretches a few times a day, which not only maintains the flexibility i have but gradually increases it

it seems no trouble at all to do a few stretches whilst im waiting for the kettle to boil, in fact its amazing what you can achieve whilst waiting for the kettle to boil if you have a serous coffee addiction

Last edited: May 23, 2020 at 6:28 AM
    • Like Like x 2
  5. Danny T

Danny T Senior Master

• Supporting Member
    I do some static stretching as a cool down from my workouts. I do some dynamic stretching everyday within my workout. You'll get better results from dynamic stretching than static.123

• Agree Agree x 1