I pass my 2nd degree Brown Belt Test

OP
KenpoMaster805

KenpoMaster805

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
A question in a non-judgemental way...

If someone promotes through a Zoom-type test, do they start learning the new material for the next rank afterwards through online instruction, or are instructors waiting until the lockdown is over before teaching new material?

Edit: Sorry... Congratulations on your promotion!

Its all good we learn new techniques right away we dont need to wait until lock down ends and i still need to pick up my black stripe and my certificate on Tuesday i just learn the scrapping hoof extension through zoom

OP
KenpoMaster805

KenpoMaster805

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Online test are wrong way. Just like Gracies promoting people for BJJ blue belts only by online watching. First step to Mc Dojo.

Yes online test is a wrong way but theres nothing we can do right now my original test was on april 4 and 6 of us was gonna test but due to Covid 19 pendimic the test was cancelled the only way instructor can teach is through zoom and its good for know and beside were still on lockdown but the thing is tho he didn't ask the 40 question on the test and of course you cant spar online

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
Yes online test is a wrong way but theres nothing we can do right now my original test was on april 4 and 6 of us was gonna test but due to Covid 19 pendimic the test was cancelled the only way instructor can teach is through zoom and its good for know and beside were still on lockdown but the thing is tho he didn't ask the 40 question on the test and of course you cant spar online
Teaching online is fine but tests really should just be postponed until things are back to normal so you can get a proper test. I mean surwly adults can wait to test especially at brown belt

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Yeah but the thing with kenpo is a huge part of it is self defence techniques that should be done on a body as it shows you are using the correct principles and controlling the body in the right way and cancelling what you need to cancel and showing you can effectively stop an attack also you need to remember the attacks for each other technique to give the attack to your partner. All these things are severely negated by an online test. Especially for such a high rank. I mean for yellow belt then fair enough but for a second brown....I'm not trying to be a jerk and talk trash. The OP did what he had to do I can't fault him but personally I would never have graded someone for any brown belt over an online test and as a student I wouldn't have wanted to be given one in that circumstance. But that's just me

It makes literally no difference. I don't want to be a jerk but having a partner fall on command is the same as doing the technique to nobody.

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
It makes literally no difference. I don't want to be a jerk but having a partner fall on command is the same as doing the technique to nobody.

I can't speak for kenpo, but I can for hapkido. Our partners don't fall on command. We have to do the technique correctly or they don't go down.

Believe it or not, you can have resistant training without training for sport.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I can't speak for kenpo, but I can for hapkido. Our partners don't fall on command. We have to do the technique correctly or they don't go down.

Believe it or not, you can have resistant training without training for sport.

Which would be the one school that doesn't. While conveniently never being able to see it.

Where of course if I look up hapkido grading of course I find this.

There is more talent in the partner than the guy grading.

Last edited:

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
You don't want to be a jerk? Huh you must be disappointed then.

And first yes it does make a difference because first you actually have to block something and you have to strike to the correct targets and second I've been in plenty of kenpo schools and no partner falls on the floor. No they're not fighting back because the techniques are simply drills but you have to put them in the right positions and perform the takedowns or the throws. What any other martial art does I don't know or care about but kenpo it certainly does not happen not in any of the packed I've ever been

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
Which would be the one school that doesn't. While conveniently never being able to see it.

Where of course if I look up hapkido grading of course I find this.

There is more talent in the partner than the guy grading.
Can you have one thread that doesn't go into this childish nonsense

Cynik75

Purple Belt
Reaction score
In full contact martial arts formal exams like "please, show 654667554 techniques on compliant partner" are ok, as long as it's only the part of way to get the promotion - specific exam requirements force student to know and show more than his favorite techniques he usually uses in sparing. It makes the student more versatile. But much more important is the real ability to fight for example (BJJ gradation): students win 90% of sparrings with white belts, student gets blue belt, student wins 90% of sparring with blue belts, student get purple belt etc.
In my bjj gym there is no exams for belts - usually two times a year main coach promotes people for higher stripes and belts according to what he thinks is right. He always says: "one trick pony sooner or later begins to lose sparrings or competition matches, because his opponents learn how to beat his favorite trick, so if he wants to wins fights again, he has to learn new things" - and usually it works, higher belts knows more techniques than lower belts. Of course somebody can be technically poor but super fast, super strong and wins fights, but there always is a limit, what can be achieved by pure athleticism.
In noncontact martial arts "please, show 654667554 techniques on compliant partner" is the only way to conduct an exam, but as we know this has more to do with dance than with combat. Being a high level dancer/acrobat is valuable and as long as "the dancer" is not called "the fighter" it's ok.

Last edited:

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Can you have one thread that doesn't go into this childish nonsense

Ok. We will go back to style bashing online training then?

I mean we wouldn't want to sound like jerks but if it were me I wouldn't consider that a real grading. Not unless I have had some guy grab my wrist and then stage dive.

Because that is where all the real lessons are learned.

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
Ok. We will go back to style bashing online training then?

I mean we wouldn't want to sound like jerks but if it were me I wouldn't consider that a real grading. Not unless I have had some guy grab my wrist and then stage dive.

Because that is where all the real lessons are learned.
Yawn

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
having a partner fall on command is the same as doing the technique to nobody.
This really happened.

One time I gave a public demo. When I threw my demo partner (the 1st time I used him) over my shoulder, I could fell that he jumped up. Later on I asked him why did he do that for. He said that he thought he suppose to do that. He told me that in his previous MA system (I won't mention his previous MA style), he needs to cooperate with his demo partner.

I told him that demo is 1/2 fake and 1/2 real. The 1/2 fake is your opponent will give you that opportunity. The 1/2 real is you have to finish it. If your opponent gives you that opportunity, he also helps you to finish, that will be 100% fake demo.

In this clip, if your opponent refuses to flip, can you flip him?

float.gif

In this clip, I was the person who has been thrown. There is no jump (cooperation) there.

Chang-outer-bow.gif

Last edited:

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
This really happened.

One time I gave a public demo. When I threw my demo partner (the 1st time I used him) over my shoulder, I could fell that he jumped up. Later on I asked him why did he do that for. He said that he thought he suppose to do that. He told me that in his previous MA system (I won't mention his previous MA style), he needs to cooperate with his demo partner.

I told him that demo is 1/2 fake and 1/2 real. The 1/2 fake is your opponent will give you that opportunity. The 1/2 real is you have to finish it. If your opponent gives you that opportunity, he also helps you to finish, that will be 100% fake demo.

float.gif

In this clip, I was the person who has been thrown. There is no jump (cooperation) there.

Chang-outer-bow.gif

There are very few people who will spoil a guys grading or demo for that matter by not prat falling. I have done it.

You basically cannot consider that a factor of the exercise.

And then at best you are giving this sort of non resistance. And at worst it is stage combat.

So I just don't think that is some sort of defining difference between a legitimate brown belt or not.

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
There are very few people who will spoil a guys grading or demo for that matter by not prat falling. I have done it.

Everyone, please pay attention. @drop bear is telling us how he is the only person who does things correct and everyone else trains bad. This is a once-in-a-lifetime event. You'll never see him make claims like this again. I've never seen it before. Come watch this rare event!

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
This really happened.

float.gif

Chang-outer-bow.gif

There is a little jump. Right at the throw the partner sinks his hips on top. You can see the knee bend.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Everyone, please pay attention. @drop bear is telling us how he is the only person who does things correct and everyone else trains bad. This is a once-in-a-lifetime event. You'll never see him make claims like this again. I've never seen it before. Come watch this rare event!

I am absolutely not the only guy who fakes it.

I am just the only guy who will tell you.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
There is a little jump. Right at the throw the partner sinks his hips on top. You can see the knee bend.
Can you see any jump in the slow speed? I know I didn't jump myself in that demo. Actually my body was sinking down instead.

I don't know how to jump. That's why I'm not a good demo partner.

When my teacher used me as his throwing dummy, we did not rehearse at all even for a big event like that.

Chang-outer-bow-slow.gif

How about this clip? Can you see any jump with knee bending?

Chang-leg-lify-2.gif

Last edited:

Latest Discussions