I pass my 2nd degree Brown Belt Test

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I am absolutely not the only guy who fakes it.

I am just the only guy who will tell you.
Both clips have no jump.

my-leg-block.gif

my-leg-twist-leg-block.gif

Cynik75

Purple Belt
Reaction score
@Kung Fu Wang:
a) first clip - it looks like a jump,
b) second clip - no jump, it is very similar to judo uchimata throw

Martial D

Senior Master
Reaction score
At my TKD school, we figure it's okay to make promotions without sparring during quarantine, since by the next promotion test we will hopefully be re-opened and they can spar again.

We're not doing Dan tests until we can do them in person, though.

golden-arches-mcdonald-s-ronald-mcdonald-logo-png-favpng-K9EtvtSc527yRuqKbTm4WMe2x.jpg

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
@drop bear define compliance. In wrestling, there’s plenty of compliance during practice. We did it quite often. Drilling takedowns, throws, reversals, etc. we didn’t throw ourselves around, jump, or anything like that, but we’d allow our partners to practice the techniques without countering, substantial resistance, and so on. Often enough there wasn’t setup and timing wasn’t involved. It was simply’20 single leg takedowns’ ‘20 double leg takedowns’ et al. Sure, you’d get a doucher every now and then who’d resist and try to prove his manhood is bigger than yours, but he was missing the point.

There’s nothing wrong with compliance training. So long as it’s used at the right time and place for the right reasons let getting reps in while warming up/working some cardio. If it’s the only way you train, obviously there’s a problem. But just because you see videos of people doing compliant training doesn’t mean that’s all they do. People bash kyokushin’s lack of head punching because they don’t do it in competition. That doesn’t mean for a second that they don’t do it outside of competition. There’s plenty of them that’ll wear headgear and gloves and practice controlled hitting and protecting the head in training.

Of course there’s some absolute crap out there. But a 5 minute video from anyone doesn’t tell the whole story. Not even close.

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
@drop bear define compliance. In wrestling, there’s plenty of compliance during practice. We did it quite often. Drilling takedowns, throws, reversals, etc. we didn’t throw ourselves around, jump, or anything like that, but we’d allow our partners to practice the techniques without countering, substantial resistance, and so on. Often enough there wasn’t setup and timing wasn’t involved. It was simply’20 single leg takedowns’ ‘20 double leg takedowns’ et al. Sure, you’d get a doucher every now and then who’d resist and try to prove his manhood is bigger than yours, but he was missing the point.

There’s nothing wrong with compliance training. So long as it’s used at the right time and place for the right reasons let getting reps in while warming up/working some cardio. If it’s the only way you train, obviously there’s a problem. But just because you see videos of people doing compliant training doesn’t mean that’s all they do. People bash kyokushin’s lack of head punching because they don’t do it in competition. That doesn’t mean for a second that they don’t do it outside of competition. There’s plenty of them that’ll wear headgear and gloves and practice controlled hitting and protecting the head in training.

Of course there’s some absolute crap out there. But a 5 minute video from anyone doesn’t tell the whole story. Not even close.

One thing I think is funny is that all of these MMA guys like to rip apart TMA videos saying "well, that only worked because the person was compliant."

But then you watch any wrestling or BJJ video, and their partner is compliant for the demonstration.

Cynik75

Purple Belt
Reaction score
One thing I think is funny is that all of these MMA guys like to rip apart TMA videos saying "well, that only worked because the person was compliant."
Partially true, but have you ever seen old Ueshiba abracadabra?

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score

But then you watch any wrestling or BJJ video, and their partner is compliant for the demonstration.
Yeah. You can’t do EVERYTHING at full resistance. Not a good way to learn anything.

But at the same time, there’s got to be a progression.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

I thought my video was a really good example of drills in that it takes both partners for them to work.

And I have no issue with drills. Exept when people are pretending that compliance doesn't happen.

Or that compliant round of drills is the deal breaker in a grading.

Both of which I consider incredibly naive.

Last edited:

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I always tell my guys when their opponent throw them, all they need to do is to keep their bodies stiff.

I have always struggled to find the right level to be a good partner for that kind of thing.

I don't like being thrown which doesn't help.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

The difference is we know.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I can't speak for kenpo, but I can for hapkido. Our partners don't fall on command. We have to do the technique correctly or they don't go down.

Believe it or not, you can have resistant training without training for sport.

techniques are simply drills but you have to put them in the right positions and perform the takedowns or the throws. What any other martial art does I don't know or care about but kenpo it certainly does not happen not in any of the packed I've ever been

This is a nice idea. But it simply isn't true. People become very good at faking non compliance or even neural compliance. But it is never a true representation of that.

And while people will claim this we will basically never see it.

This goes double for a grading. There are very few systems out there that has a policy of screwing up another guys grading. And people get very good at faking.

Now I don't have an issue with that but it needs to be viewed in it reality. Not its fanciful notion.

I do compliant drills.

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Yeah. You can’t do EVERYTHING at full resistance. Not a good way to learn anything.

But at the same time, there’s got to be a progression.

Right. The funny part is they see a 3 minute video and assume that's the entire progression.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Right. The funny part is they see a 3 minute video and assume that's the entire progression.

No I was pretty sure there was no progression before I looked for video. This is not my first rodeos.

There has never been evidence that it exists despite the assurances I get that it does.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I have always struggled to find the right level to be a good partner for that kind of thing.

I don't like being thrown which doesn't help.
When you throw me, if I just collapse all the way down to the ground like a pile of soft noodle, no matter how long that you may have trained with me, you will never be able to develop any throwing skill.

The best counter to the throwing art is you just throw yourself down to the ground.

daily_gifdump_470_15.gif

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score

I forgot to say this last time I quoted it...

Wrestling, Judo, Boxing, BJJ, et al have a distinct advantage in proving the compliant techniques shown in demonstrations and drills. There are countless hours of competition and video of them showing those techniques done under compliance actually work under full resistance.

Non competitive TMA, SD, Krav and the like unfortunately don’t have the data competition has. So of course there’s going to be naysayers who say prove it every chance they get. If you’re confident in what you’re doing, then that shouldn’t bother you.

I’ve competed enough in stuff outside of point fighting - wrestling and bare knuckle karate - trained with enough boxers who are (were at the time) successful. And I’ve unfortunately had more than my fair share of fights and SD situations to know that what I’m training in is legit. Sure there’s some stuff that’s not really effective, but nothing’s perfect. And truthfully, I like that stuff too. Most of it is fun to do and is good physical and mental exercise.

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I forgot to say this last time I quoted it...

Wrestling, Judo, Boxing, BJJ, et al have a distinct advantage in proving the compliant techniques shown in demonstrations and drills. There are countless hours of competition and video of them showing those techniques done under compliance actually work under full resistance.

Non competitive TMA, SD, Krav and the like unfortunately don’t have the data competition has. So of course there’s going to be naysayers who say prove it every chance they get. If you’re confident in what you’re doing, then that shouldn’t bother you.

I’ve competed enough in stuff outside of point fighting - wrestling and bare knuckle karate - trained with enough boxers who are (were at the time) successful. And I’ve unfortunately had more than my fair share of fights and SD situations to know that what I’m training in is legit. Sure there’s some stuff that’s not really effective, but nothing’s perfect. And truthfully, I like that stuff too. Most of it is fun to do and is good physical and mental exercise.

The problem I have is for example if someone posts a video for their school, and a bunch of MMA jocks go in and start crapping all over it. Then people from that school might start to lose faith in their instruction, even though there's nothing wrong with it.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
When you throw me, if I just collapse all the way down to the ground like a pile of soft noodle, no matter how long that you may have trained with me, you will never be able to develop any throwing skill.

The best counter to the throwing art is you just throw yourself down to the ground.

daily_gifdump_470_15.gif

I am not allowed to jump guard in our gym. I get scowled at.

Latest Discussions