IMG_20200526_171444_540.jpg
IMG_20200526_172542_734.jpg

Last edited:

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I've always just seen it done with a stripe for each one

I've seen it many ways.
  • My old school would do a solid belt, and then you got strips of tape around the tip for how many stripes (the color would be the next belt).
  • After a while they changed to these types of belts, and you would get a white stripe for the 1st stripe, and a black stripe (like this) for the second stripe.
  • The school I'm at now has 1 black stripe for the first stripe, and 2 black stripes (which is technically a black color belt with a colored stripe down the middle) for the 2nd stripe.
  • For our Hapkido class, there's only solid colors. But all of our belts have a solid stripe down them.
  • Some schools use different colors of tape to signify different things.
  • Some schools just have you wear the belt and keep track of where you are in your paperwork.

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Well done. Curious never seen a brown belt like that. Not questioning you sir just curious
My previous school did similar (or the same thing). There were 2 kyu levels for each belt. For example, white belt was 10th kyu and 9th kyu. 10th kyu was solid white, 9th kyu was white with a blue stripe (like the black stripe on his belt). The stripe was always the color of the next belt, hence the blue stripe. So it went like this:
10th kyu - solid white
9th kyu - white with blue
8th - solid blue
7th - blue with yellow
6th - solid yellow
5th - yellow with green
4th - solid green
3rd - green with brown
2nd - solid brown
1st - brown with black

We also had an advanced brown belt, which was someone who passed all kyu tests and were refining their stuff to get ready to test for 1st dan. The belt was half brown and half black.

My current school follows the same color pattern, but we sew a patch at the end of our belt for the odd kyu ranks. So a 9th kyu sews on a patch at the end of their white belt; a 1st kyu sews on a patch at the end of their brown belt. We don’t have the advanced brown like my previous school.

Edit: Yes, blue usually comes after yellow in most organizations. Both organizations I’ve been in came from Kyokushin which puts blue before yellow.

OP
KenpoMaster805

KenpoMaster805

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Well done. Curious never seen a brown belt like that. Not questioning you sir just curious

Im in the black Belt club so my Brown Belt is Different its not just a plain Brown Belt its has a black stripe on top of it if your not in a black belt club you will just have a regular Brown Belt

As you can see in this picture i have the 2 black stripe tape on my belt indicates im a 2nd degree Brown View attachment 22870

Attachments

• 20200530_085832.jpg
    20200530_085832.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 108
Last edited:

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I haven't seen many schools that train the exact same way, test and/or belt the same way, or do anything the same way.

I've been to a whole lot of dojos of a whole lot of different styles. Probably twenty or more Kenpo ones alone. They were all a little different. But I'll tell you what, the ones on the east Coast back in the seventies and eighties? They were all nuts. They were all gentleman, but those folks fought like they were going to war.
And if you dropped your hands - you would be on the floor looking up.

And you sure as hell wouldn't drop your hands again.

Latest Discussions