Human Weapon : Ninjutsu Episode featuring Budo Taijutsu!

Ronnin

Blue Belt
Reaction score
(Whiskey-Tango-Foxtrot, dude!)Are you serious!? I've gotta see this! when does this air? (Yes, I feel the same way !)

it aired yesterday
i see some people posting that the end match was a set up...........this couldn't be i don't think. i don't think Soke would do that.

Doc_Jude

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
All in all it was another disapointing episode overall for the Human Weapon. I'm starting to cringe when I watch this show. The only two epidoes that I thought were good was the Krav Maga episode and the Marine Core Martial Arts Episode. The rest were really a mixed result!!!

Agreed.

Doc_Jude

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
I am going to make an educated guess that the sword portion was just as blown up and badly done as the rest of the show. First, I thought it was odd for them to say that Bill and Jason would "master the sword in only a day." Right. Also, straw is used to simulate flesh, not bone as they said in the show. And do you think they REALLY gave those guys live blades?? No way would I trust those two with live blades after a day. Maybe for the cutting, but not practicing.

Also, does anyone get the idea that they don't really like each other?

True, that was funny. You can't even master picking your nose in one day. Well, Bill maybe.

If you want to simulate a limb, wrap the tatami around a hardwood dowel.

I think they're like two completely dissimilar things in a pod.

Doc_Jude

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
it aired yesterday
i see some people posting that the end match was a set up...........this couldn't be i don't think. i don't think Soke would do that.

He wasn't there. I'm not sure, but we've seen in the last season guys, representing different arts, obviously throwing fights or going very easy on these guys. The same happened here. I know, w/o a shadow of a doubt, that Doug could have beat his opponent from one end of the dojo to the other, & based on what I've seen of Bruce, I have no doubt that Bill would have had a little more than a little bump on his noggin when Bruce was done bludgeoning him. Knowing that, then it leads me to believe that either Soke had no idea what was going to happen in the end, or he did. Either he approved or was ignorant. It was decent press for the Booj, though.

Obi Wan Shinobi

Green Belt
Reaction score
I apologize if I offend anyone by saying this but not only was I disappointed with the show I was also kinda embarrassed. Two high ranking Shihans(13th and 15th Dan) get handled like that by two hosts of a tv show who only were around for a short period of time? Not to mention that the Koppojutsu, Shuriken and Kenjutsu they learned weren't from the Bujinkan or any of the X-kans. And last but not least I was mostly disappointed in the fact that they mostly focused on Ancient weaponry instead of taijutsu. I'm highly disappointed right now so again if I offended anyone by my comments I apologize but I am only calling it as I see it.

Shicomm

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I could say that it at least was entertaining... but that would be a lie also...
What i just don't understand why they do get at least a good part of their "homwork" done well and then screw up all the rest because 'show must go on'
Especially the "ninja" this and that where quite annoying imho.

Comparing the human weapon episode with the 2 segments from mind, body and kickass moves i would say that the BBC got things better done then the history channel.

Discovery channel is next with their "fight quest" , maybe they'll run a segment on bujinkan also.

OP
Brian R. VanCise

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I apologize if I offend anyone by saying this but not only was I disappointed with the show I was also kinda embarrassed. Two high ranking Shihans(13th and 15th Dan) get handled like that by two hosts of a tv show who only were around for a short period of time? Not to mention that the Koppojutsu, Shuriken and Kenjutsu they learned weren't from the Bujinkan or any of the X-kans. And last but not least I was mostly disappointed in the fact that they mostly focused on Ancient weaponry instead of taijutsu. I'm highly disappointed right now so again if I offended anyone by my comments I apologize but I am only calling it as I see it.

Pablo I think you need to rewatch it. Bruce lost a very close contested match against Bill on the last point in the last round when either could have won. As for Doug he handled Jason easily with the sword. (Easily) Did he make a mistake going H2H well absolutely and Jason capitalized on it but that was just one moment in a two round match that Doug decisively won. Both Bill and Jason are athletes at the highest level. Bill played professional football and this should tell you something that professional athletes that get paid lots of money are extremely dangerous if confronted as they have great attributes. (ie. size, strength, speed, etc.) Jason also is a professional athelte and though smaller he has good attributes as well. It is not enough just to train technique you also need to work your attributes. While I did not think the show was well done it was because they could have done so much better and they had access to the Bujinkan. Still Bruce lost and Doug won. Do not diminish Doug's excellent sword work on one moment in the match when it went H2H. (which could have turned out differently in another moment though we will never know) In either situation Doug and Bruce struck first scored the first point and with real swords that would have been it. It was after all a game of tag!
icon6.gif
(which is enjoyable and fun to do)

Still no excuses Bruce lost and Doug won. Enough said!!! Plus overall the show was just not that good and could have been so much more.
icon6.gif

OP
Brian R. VanCise

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score

I think we also see a pattern here in that in one on one challege matches they do pretty well. Let's see they defeated the Sambo guy easily, tied with the Savate Champion, beat and looked good against the Pankration guy, looked pretty decent against the eskrima champion, did well against the MMA guy's they faced, etc. The only individual who truly dominated Jason was the Judo Champion and he did lay the smack down. Now, next week is Bill Duff facing off against a Tae Kwon Do champioin and their is video footage of Bill being knocked out cold by a spinning high kick. (wonder if that makes the episode) Overall though they do well in challenge matches.
icon6.gif

OP
Brian R. VanCise

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I could say that it at least was entertaining... but that would be a lie also...
What i just don't understand why they do get at least a good part of their "homwork" done well and then screw up all the rest because 'show must go on'
Especially the "ninja" this and that where quite annoying imho.

Comparing the human weapon episode with the 2 segments from mind, body and kickass moves i would say that the BBC got things better done then the history channel.

Discovery channel is next with their "fight quest" , maybe they'll run a segment on bujinkan also.

Let's hope the discovery channel does a better job overall with editing and how they approach and talk about the Martial Art they are looking at!
icon14.gif

shinbushi

Green Belt
Reaction score
Jason also is a professional athelte and though smaller he has good attributes as well. It is not enough just to train technique you also need to work your attributes.
I agree about atribute being important but I think you minimize Jason's martial skills. Black belt under Eddie Bravo and a MMA fighter. The sweep Jason did and taking Doug's back was extremely technical, not relying on attributes.

Also episodes, I liked were Muay Thai, MMA, Marines, and Sambo
Biggest disappointment was Pancration.
worst episode was Silat or kung fu

OP
Brian R. VanCise

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
i agree about atribute being important but I think you minimize Jason's martial skills. Black belt under Eddie Bravo and a MMA fighter. The sweep Jason did and taking Doug's back was extremely technical, not relying on attributes.

Oh no I do not devalue Jason's skills at all he is quite good at MMA and in Brazilian Jiujitsu. (even if he is annoying) Though I think he is just a brown belt. (still that is quite good in BJJ)

David I also have been training in Brazilian Jiujitsu for twelve years! (so I have alot of respect for Jason's skill sets)

Obi Wan Shinobi

Green Belt
Reaction score
Brian I agree that the show was not that good and could have been so much more but I disagree on the fact that although Jason and Bill are prior trained and athletes. (Jason more so than Bill I think) that those two high ranking Bujinkan guys who live and train in Japan have that much trouble by two guys just in for a taping. I do agree that Doug and Bruce did well in the sword department but for a JuGodan to drop his sword to go H2H only to get swept and stabbed by sword by a passerby, to me isn't good. The only chuckle I get was when the Bruce gave Bill that nice bump....way to go. But thats all I'll say to this as I'm Bujinkan and I'm kinda feeling like a traitor by saying such blasphemy! LOL anyways I'm sure if the show's theme was more focused on taijutsu then the outcome would have been alot different....

MBuzzy

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I think we also see a pattern here in that in one on one challege matches they do pretty well. Let's see they defeated the Sambo guy easily, tied with the Savate Champion, beat and looked good against the Pankration guy, looked pretty decent against the eskrima champion, did well against the MMA guy's they faced, etc. The only individual who truly dominated Jason was the Judo Champion and he did lay the smack down. Now, next week is Bill Duff facing off against a Tae Kwon Do champioin and their is video footage of Bill being knocked out cold by a spinning high kick. (wonder if that makes the episode) Overall though they do well in challenge matches.
icon6.gif

How would it look for the show if the hosts, who are on this world wide fighting tour, get beaten into the ground every week?

The majority of the people who watch this aren't martial artists, so seeing them destroyed every week would be discouraging.

OP
Brian R. VanCise

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
How would it look for the show if the hosts, who are on this world wide fighting tour, get beaten into the ground every week?

The majority of the people who watch this aren't martial artists, so seeing them destroyed every week would be discouraging.

Absolutely this show is not only about the arts but also about the host's journey!

OP
Brian R. VanCise

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Brian I agree that the show was not that good and could have been so much more but I disagree on the fact that although Jason and Bill are prior trained and athletes. (Jason more so than Bill I think) that those two high ranking Bujinkan guys who live and train in Japan have that much trouble by two guys just in for a taping. I do agree that Doug and Bruce did well in the sword department but for a JuGodan to drop his sword to go H2H only to get swept and stabbed by sword by a passerby, to me isn't good. The only chuckle I get was when the Bruce gave Bill that nice bump....way to go. But thats all I'll say to this as I'm Bujinkan and I'm kinda feeling like a traitor by saying such blasphemy! LOL anyways I'm sure if the show's theme was more focused on taijutsu then the outcome would have been alot different....

I agree that throwing the sword and then going H2H was not a good choice in that moment. Still it does not negate the excellent sword work that Doug did the rest of the match.
icon6.gif

shinbushi

Green Belt
Reaction score
Oh no I do not devalue Jason's skills at all he is quite good at MMA and in Brazilian Jiujitsu. (even if he is annoying) Though I think he is just a brown belt. (still that is quite good in BJJ)

David I also have been training in Brazilian Jiujitsu for twelve years! (so I have alot of respect for Jason's skill sets)

From your post it seemed like the only reason the had a good showing was their attributes.

Omar B

Senior Master
Reaction score
So when's somebody gonna post this thing on Youtube or Google Video? I know you guys recorded it. Yeah, I don't have cable. All I watch on TV is football and cartoons.

theletch1

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Posting it on Google or Youtube won't do a whole lot of good as it's a copyrighted show. Do a quick search over there for something like "Family Guy" and see how many of the videos have been removed due to copyright laws.

Latest Discussions