Human Weapon : Ninjutsu Episode featuring Budo Taijutsu!

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
IMO, I think people are focusing too much on one small part. Fact is, there is no ultimate art, and everyone and anyone can be beat. Would Jason come out on top with everyone he fought? Would the BBT guys always come out on top? You could have the same 2 people fight 10 times in a row on two seperate days and the results will vary.

Also keep in mind, while Jason may have had a momentary upper hand, he didn't seem to fair too well with the weapon. I think Dale Seago said it best with this:
http://www.martialartsplanet.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1357129&postcount=181

Bigshadow

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
IMO, I think people are focusing too much on one small part. Fact is, there is no ultimate art, and everyone and anyone can be beat. Would Jason come out on top with everyone he fought? Would the BBT guys always come out on top? You could have the same 2 people fight 10 times in a row on two seperate days and the results will vary.

Also keep in mind, while Jason may have had a momentary upper hand, he didn't seem to fair too well with the weapon. I think Dale Seago said it best with this:
http://www.martialartsplanet.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1357129&postcount=181

I feel the same as Dale. My disappointment is, I do not think that the show as a whole spent enough time at the hombu. Initially, I felt a little disappointed over the little match thing, but after thinking about things and watching it again, I am cool with it. They all did good and it was enjoyable to watch.

Most people had preconceived notions of what they were supposed to see, but reality looks different (including myself, that is why I went back and watched it again).

Dale Seago

Black Belt
Reaction score
Most people had preconceived notions of what they were supposed to see, but reality looks different (including myself, that is why I went back and watched it again).

Many also seem to have let their preconceptions prevent them from seeing what was going on. . .

Doc_Jude

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
A lot of the complaining seems to be whining that when you take an amazing paramedic ambulance driver and put him in a stock car against a NASCAR racer he might lose.

Uh, yeah...so...

Whole lotta mistaking the map for the territory.

I might whine more if I understood what you were saying...

Doc_Jude

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
...it isn't the second best swordsman the best fears it's the absolute beginner because they have no clue how to use the weapon and you're not sure what they are even going to try and do.

The pro is wary of the rank amateur. They bring chaos and don't know "the rules of engagement". I agree with you. That's why you MUST train outside of your dojo/dojang/kwoon/gym, if not your style.

Doc_Jude

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Really?
Do you really want to watch the aftermath, and work damage control when Nagato is beaten ?
Seriously?
You dont think its possible?
Possible? Yes. Probable? Absolutely Not.

Sean Askew may be good as far as bujinkan fighters go...but I still dont think he would have lasted very long H2H with Jason Chambers. I could be wrong.
Yes, you sure could. Who do you train with again?

OP
Brian R. VanCise

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Personally I do not think we should throw Nagato's name around. Even though I know many people do. Just my 02.
icon6.gif

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Personally I do not think we should throw Nagato's name around. Even though I know many people do. Just my 02.
icon6.gif

I agree. I still wonder though why people are harping on one aspect, rather than looking at the whole picture. Dale made a great point with his post. Chuck Liddell has lost fights, so has Ken Shamrock, and Randy, to name a few. Yet those same people still have a strong fanbase, despite a loss. This was simply a game of tag. Would the results have been different if another weapon was used, instead of a sword? Would empty hand have been different? If someone was really trying to attack the Bujinkan guys, in a real situation, would the outcome be different?

So many what ifs. I just find it odd, because I'm sure there're are people out there that have successfully used their skills in a real situation, and have come out on top. But because its not on tape it probably never happened. *rolls eyes*

OP
Brian R. VanCise

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Here is the last part of the show though it has no show. (same clip as Dave posted earlier but it is back up now)

[yt]a4w3FzJT8ec&feature=related[/yt]

OP
Brian R. VanCise

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I agree. I still wonder though why people are harping on one aspect, rather than looking at the whole picture. Dale made a great point with his post. Chuck Liddell has lost fights, so has Ken Shamrock, and Randy, to name a few. Yet those same people still have a strong fanbase, despite a loss. This was simply a game of tag. Would the results have been different if another weapon was used, instead of a sword? Would empty hand have been different? If someone was really trying to attack the Bujinkan guys, in a real situation, would the outcome be different?

So many what ifs. I just find it odd, because I'm sure there're are people out there that have successfully used their skills in a real situation, and have come out on top. But because its not on tape it probably never happened. *rolls eyes*

Well judging by the amount of Budo Taijutsu people in the Military, Law Enforcement, Corrections, Security etc. I would bet that it has been used successfully a few times as well.
icon6.gif

newtothe dark

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I watched the episode and enjoyed it for what it was. Now that being said I have a slightly different take on it.
I had spoke earlier that I was very afraid of a new 'Ninja boom' I am new to this art so am no authority by any means, but having looked back over time a bit I dont think anyone except the weapons and video stores benifited from the last boom. It created alot of impostors and alot od strife.
I dont think the show really 'impressed' anyone into "oh I need to go find a ninja school' and I am glad. There seems to be enough politics and infighting in the x-cans to not need alot of press oneway or the other. Then people are always jockying for the spotlight. I think that is something good about it it focused lightl heartedly on Budo and maybe should be left at that.
I raelise that I am most likely going to get flamed for this feeling but so goes life hehe. I love the art and just didnt want it to go crazy again.

Obi Wan Shinobi

Green Belt
Reaction score
Well judging by the amount of Budo Taijutsu people in the Military, Law Enforcement, Corrections, Security etc. I would bet that it has been used successfully a few times as well.
icon6.gif
Yes it has been used successfully Mr. VanCise I've been in BOTH Corrections and Law Enforcement the latter being my current employment. I've had several fellow officers that were Budo Taijutsu practioners and have survive rather wild encounters in the streets and jails. I may have been a little too hard on the 13 and 15th dan in the beginning but maybe Doug got a little overzealous as what I saw he may have been trying to "force" the technique. As Jack Hoban once said in one of his seminars..."Techniques are like girlfriends if you try to force them, they will break you heart." But in reality someone of that much training and experience shouldn't destroy a beginner just because they can.....even if they are tv hosts.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
This was simply a game of tag. Would the results have been different if another weapon was used, instead of a sword?

Certainly we see this in the FMA all the time--sword-sparring can create a "tag" situation such that someone who focuses on good swordwork, which would be successful in reality, may do worse in a sparring situation. The game and the reality aren't the same. There was a great post on the idea here on MT a while back.

Someone trying to deliver a cut that would stop a person could easily be beaten by someone playing touch-tag. I thought I saw some of that here, though honestly not nearly as much as I expected before viewing it.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Some direct quotes from Bill and Jason on what their own direct experience of the Bujinkan folks was like for them:

http://www.martialartsplanet.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1358737#post1358737

Pretty interesting. I also took interest in some comments that some were making regarding Doug and Jason. Now, maybe I'm missing it, but I watched the clip of their fight a few times. People are saying that when Jason had the sword, and was mounted on Dougs back, that Doug took a stab to his face/neck. Supposedly this was pretty clear, although I'll admit it didn't seem that way to me. You can't clearly see Dougs head, so I'm wondering how this was so easily seen?

Like its been said...people will look for every little thing to attempt to discredit the Bujinkan. Its the same old boring argument, over and over.