Human Weapon : Ninjutsu Episode featuring Budo Taijutsu!

CoryKS

Senior Master
Reaction score
Get ready for a terrifying flurry of life-threatening adjectives and adjective phrases—deadly, lethal, brutal, ancient, secret, subversive, shadowy, mysterious, ultimate,....um... really deadly, extremely lethal....

... hide me!!!! :lol:

Or the obligatory remark during preparation for the fight: "If he gets too Ninja on me, I'll use my height and wrestling background to put him on the ground."

I like this show, but there is definitely material there for a Human Weapon drinking game.

OP
Brian R. VanCise

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Well I know one of the main coordinators for the Bujinkan (Yost Fulton Shihan) who helped Bill and Jason for this episode. If things work out right I may go to his house and watch it the night it airs.

One thing I do know is that at the end they work with Fukuro Shinai one on one against two Bujinkan practitioner's with the idea to get five strikes in before the other person. I believe by reading between the lines that these two Budo Taijutsu practitioner's are Doug Wilson and Bruce Appleby two long term Japan residents with lots and lots of experience. (I found this all on Doug Wilson blog except the about the part with Yost Fulton)

Bill Sempf

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I'd be curious to know what elements of Ninjutsu they would be studying. Is Ninjutsu taught in the Bujinkan? Maybe if someone could define what it is exactly I'll know what to look for in the show. Will the fight at the end of the show involve sneaking up on the opponent, or will they fight face to face?

I don't know if they went anywhere other than the Hombu dojo, but I do know that they went there and trained. I also know that Budo Taijutsu is not Ninjutsu per se. That makes me think that they went to other schools in Japan to study (which might prove veeeery interesting) otherwise they would call the show Budo Taijutsu, and not Ninjutsu. That follows, right?

The final challenge is a game of tag with weapons, because Budo Taijutsu is not a competitive martial art.

Most of my information came from Shihan Doug Wilson's blog at http://henka.wordpress.com/, and the HW forums on the History channel site.

Edit: Sorry, Brian, didn't mean to duplicate your post; looks like we submitted at about the same time.

Monadnock

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I don't know if they went anywhere other than the Hombu dojo, but I do know that they went there and trained. I also know that Budo Taijutsu is not Ninjutsu per se. That makes me think that they went to other schools in Japan to study (which might prove veeeery interesting) otherwise they would call the show Budo Taijutsu, and not Ninjutsu. That follows, right?

That would sound right. Of course if I were putting a television show together, I know what name would get more people watching. So that could be part of it.

Doc_Jude

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Well I know one of the main coordinators for the Bujinkan (Yost Fulton Shihan) who helped Bill and Jason for this episode. If things work out right I may go to his house and watch it the night it airs.

One thing I do know is that at the end they work with Fukuro Shinai one on one against two Bujinkan practitioner's with the idea to get five strikes in before the other person. I believe by reading between the lines that these two Budo Taijutsu practitioner's are Doug Wilson and Bruce Appleby two long term Japan residents with lots and lots of experience. (I found this all on Doug Wilson blog except the about the part with Yost Fulton)

Are you going to Daikomyosai?

Doc_Jude

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Yeah, tell me about it. I haven't been back since 2000. Nagato-sensei & George told me to plan on taking godan next time I was over there and I haven't been back! I hate it when that happens!!! - ^_^

Bigshadow

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
No I wish I was but with my schedule getting away can be pretty tricky!

My instructor is there. He flew out Thursday morning. Well I assume by now he is there! :) I had planned to go this year, but at the end, I was unable to go. My plans are to go next year, but maybe not for DKS.

OP
Brian R. VanCise

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My instructor is there. He flew out Thursday morning. Well I assume by now he is there! :) I had planned to go this year, but at the end, I was unable to go. My plans are to go next year, but maybe not for DKS.

If the stars align right I may go this summer!

Bigshadow

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
They're not going to stick just with Bujinkan, are they? That wouldn't really go with the spirit of the show, IMO.

Well....

It is like when they did the Marine Corps episode... I guess they could have gone to the Marine Corps and hundreds of "Military enthusiasts" clubs, but they went to the SOURCE. It really is no different, they also didn't go to every individual group from any of the martial arts.

Anyway... It is this weekend.
icon6.gif

OP
Brian R. VanCise

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Well....

It is like when they did the Marine Corps episode... I guess they could have gone to the Marine Corps and hundreds of "Military enthusiasts" clubs, but they went to the SOURCE. It really is no different, they also didn't go to every individual group from any of the martial arts.

Anyway... It is this weekend.
icon6.gif

Let's hope it is decent!
icon14.gif

Latest Discussions