Human Weapon : Ninjutsu Episode featuring Budo Taijutsu!

Doc_Jude

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Okay... that sucked. The last 10mins was the best part. It was funny how Doug tried to go unarmed with the guy and it didn't work out so well. He should have pulled one of Tim's aluminum trainers, though, that would have been good. That really must have hurt for Bruce to throw two matches to that meathead.

What the hell was all that "Koppo-sensei of Koppo-Jutsu knife fighting"??? They could have found a lot better stuff in the Bujinkan. & they should have gone to Someya or someone for the sword stuff. Or Nagase- or Nakadai-sensei for the Ninja weapons. 75% of that show was a waste of time.

Doc_Jude

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
The latter.
To be such high Dans they looked really young to me.

In terms of the end challenge, in previous episodes it looks as if their opponents are always holding back and all. With this episode there opponents didnt hold anything back and it was nice to see.

Bujinkan ranking is quite a bit different than most anything else, especially from 5th dan on. I'd say that when compared to most arts, one dan rank would be worth two Bujinkan dan ranks. Though, Doug Wilson is rather gifted and lives to train.

& they were REALLY holding back. Sorry. I'm acquainted with Bruce & I know Doug pretty well. They could have smacked those two around pretty good.
I'll admit, it was nice to hear these guys respecting Takamatsuden stuff after training at Ayase and Hombu. Considering they've been doing McMap and Krav Maga, they have a better idea of what works & what doesn't.

OP
Brian R. VanCise

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Okay... that sucked. The last 10mins was the best part. It was funny how Doug tried to go unarmed with the guy and it didn't work out so well. He should have pulled one of Tim's aluminum trainers, though, that would have been good. That really must have hurt for Bruce to throw two matches to that meathead.

What the hell was all that "Koppo-sensei of Koppo-Jutsu knife fighting"??? They could have found a lot better stuff in the Bujinkan. & they should have gone to Someya or someone for the sword stuff. Or Nagase- or Nakadai-sensei for the Ninja weapons. 75% of that show was a waste of time.

Bujinkan ranking is quite a bit different than most anything else, especially from 5th dan on. I'd say that when compared to most arts, one dan rank would be worth two Bujinkan dan ranks. Though, Doug Wilson is rather gifted and lives to train.

& they were REALLY holding back. Sorry. I'm acquainted with Bruce & I know Doug pretty well. They could have smacked those two around pretty good.
I'll admit, it was nice to hear these guys respecting Takamatsuden stuff after training at Ayase and Hombu. Considering they've been doing McMap and Krav Maga, they have a better idea of what works & what doesn't.

I was surprised that they went to other sources particularly since I believe those sources to not be Ninjutsu per se; but one Karate based art and the other a Koryu ryu. (however I will have to run his name and see what comes up)

I went out to eat with Bruce, Phil Legare, Mike Pierce and a bunch of friends after my good friend passed his Godan test. Bruce was nice, friendly and good guy. He did not fare well last night but was it real or meant to be that way? We will never know unless we talk. As to Doug well he pretty much schooled Jason. I mean it ended after two rounds what was the score 5-1, 5-3 or something like that? Still I imagine if Doug had to do it over he would not have thrown the sword to go Hand to Hand at one point. (that is Jason's forte so to speak and he did handle Doug in that moment) Yet I will have to watch it again to see if the thrown sword would have fatally wounded Jason before the hand to hand engagement. Still it is not something I would have done without pulling another weapon. Yet in the end Doug looked pretty good!

All in all it was another disapointing episode overall for the Human Weapon. I'm starting to cringe when I watch this show. The only two epidoes that I thought were good was the Krav Maga episode and the Marine Core Martial Arts Episode. The rest were really a mixed result!!!

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
They let him say "superior reach" tonight instead.
And Jason used the superior strength line... about Bill! (It was something like "with his size and strength, Bill usually has trouble with...")

MBuzzy

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I am going to make an educated guess that the sword portion was just as blown up and badly done as the rest of the show. First, I thought it was odd for them to say that Bill and Jason would "master the sword in only a day." Right. Also, straw is used to simulate flesh, not bone as they said in the show. And do you think they REALLY gave those guys live blades?? No way would I trust those two with live blades after a day. Maybe for the cutting, but not practicing.

Also, does anyone get the idea that they don't really like each other?

OP
Brian R. VanCise

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I am going to make an educated guess that the sword portion was just as blown up and badly done as the rest of the show. First, I thought it was odd for them to say that Bill and Jason would "master the sword in only a day." Right. Also, straw is used to simulate flesh, not bone as they said in the show. And do you think they REALLY gave those guys live blades?? No way would I trust those two with live blades after a day. Maybe for the cutting, but not practicing.

No way were they practicing with live blades with a partner absolutely no way. Now as to the cutting well yes they had a live blade then but anybody with a brain was as far away as possible under the circumstances.
icon6.gif

bydand

Senior Master
Reaction score
Now as to the cutting well yes they had a live blade then but anybody with a brain was as far away as possible under the circumstances.
icon6.gif

I noticed that as well. watched it again this morning and maybe I was more awake, but I liked it less, a lot less. Sure, they didn't cover it like most shows do when it comes to Ninjutsu, and I think they did try to do a fair and balanced portrayal, but something didn't click right. I think I noticed Hatsumi Sensei and the looks he was giving the 2 more this morning than I did last night. All in all though, it was a bit more realistic and honest showing of the art than 99.9% of the crap that is usually put out with the Ninjutsu brand on it. It did bother me last night that they spelled it wrong in the title of the program. How hard is it to figure out it is a "U" not an "I" in the name of the art?

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Well, this is coming from someone who doesn't know much about BBT, so please bear with me. :)

Am I safe to assume that the people that they went to for the knife and sword work were not part of the Bujinkan? If they were not part of it, I too, am surprised that they didn't spend as much time at the Bujinkan school, but went elsewhere. You'd figure if the story was about Ninjutsu, that would be the focus.

OP
Brian R. VanCise

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Well, this is coming from someone who doesn't know much about BBT, so please bear with me. :)

Am I safe to assume that the people that they went to for the knife and sword work were not part of the Bujinkan? If they were not part of it, I too, am surprised that they didn't spend as much time at the Bujinkan school, but went elsewhere. You'd figure if the story was about Ninjutsu, that would be the focus.

Hey Mike the people they went to for the knife, sword and shuriken work are all non Bujinkan instructors. They all belong to different lineages mostly I believe karate and either a Koryu lineage or another more modern art. I also believe these people were probably not expecting to be referred to as Ninjutsu experts but then again I do not know all the details.
icon6.gif

The part with the Bujinkan evolved around a couple of shots of Hatsumi teaching, the obstacle course and of course the challenge at the end. I think that is it. I need to contact Yost and see what he thinks about how everything went!

Bigshadow

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The part with the Bujinkan evolved around a couple of shots of Hatsumi teaching, the obstacle course and of course the challenge at the end. I think that is it. I need to contact Yost and see what he thinks about how everything went!

Where is that obstacle course at? I have never seen anything about that. I thought that was at one of those 'Ninja' Museums or 'Ninja' tourist parks.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hey Mike the people they went to for the knife, sword and shuriken work are all non Bujinkan instructors. They all belong to different lineages mostly I believe karate and either a Koryu lineage or another more modern art. I also believe these people were probably not expecting to be referred to as Ninjutsu experts but then again I do not know all the details.
icon6.gif

Thanks for the clarification Brian. :) Yes, it would be interesting to hear what the Japan folks thought of it.

AceHBK

Master Black Belt
Reaction score

I am starting to get that impression as well.

I can't believe that knife school though. They actually let their students train with real knives???

Bigshadow

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

I can't believe that knife school though. They actually let their students train with real knives???

I really don't think they were using real knives. Seems to me those practice knives they were using could easily scratch.

OP
Brian R. VanCise

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score

Those were training knives. (non sharp but still dangerous because of the point) However, most realistic knife schools at some point have their practitioners work with live weapons but generally only with solo skill sets. So that knife school may have their practitioner's practicing with live knives during solo training.

I also would bet a million dollars that the Hombu dojo training sword that Noguchi Sensei used was also dull! Yes, I think I would win that bet.

Remember when Jason started to describe the Fukuro Shinai as having wood in them. Yost quick said something to the affect that they are padded shinai with bamboo. Jason also mentioned during the escrima episode that the padded sticks had steel in them. When in reality they did not. So always take what Jason or Bill say with a grain of salt as they are trying to play things up.

AceHBK

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Brian & BigShadow....

Yea they said the knives that Bill and Jason used weren't real but they said the knives the other students used were real though.

SKB

Green Belt
Reaction score
Given the rest of the shows for the human weapon series I thought what they did was ...... all right. I just do not understand why they did not spend more time at the Hombo Dojo.

I think they could of covered all the things they wanted to know there and could of skipped the trips to the other places. Or maybe explained they were going to learn a set of skills from these other places. The way it came off to me it seemed around every corner in Tokyo there is a 'ninja' school?

I did think they tried to stay away from focusing so much on the movie version of the art. Yes they did say the assain stuff, but at least they were not focusing on that as much. I liked they way they said the art was battlefield moves.

I think they should of told the audiance the "test" was something they had to make up for the show.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Given the rest of the shows for the human weapon series I thought what they did was ...... all right. I just do not understand why they did not spend more time at the Hombo Dojo.

I think they could of covered all the things they wanted to know there and could of skipped the trips to the other places. Or maybe explained they were going to learn a set of skills from these other places. The way it came off to me it seemed around every corner in Tokyo there is a 'ninja' school?

I did think they tried to stay away from focusing so much on the movie version of the art. Yes they did say the assain stuff, but at least they were not focusing on that as much. I liked they way they said the art was battlefield moves.

I think they should of told the audiance the "test" was something they had to make up for the show.
Or at least gone to other Bujinkan instructors. I'm sure different instructors have different specialties or are known for teaching something... They could have gone to whoever is best known for the sword or shuriken, etc.

And I, too, would have liked to see them do more taijutsu. My guess is that they had to do something they could come up with some sort of rules for the competition for...

My general opinion of the series is that the best competitions have been when they did something that's pretty much just "standard" testing for the style. I think they probably cooked up the final MCMAP challenge, just like the Krav Maga challenge, but it had the same flavor as the rest of the stuff. Others... yeah, it was a match. But it came through clearly that it was set up...

Ronnin

Blue Belt
Reaction score
what I wonder about is Bill "fought" against, I can't recall his name, a 13th Dan, and Bill won! This happens through out the shows. How can this be? I know that it's not real combat and all, so everyone save that excuse for the next MMA thread, it's practice, there's no real threat of injury or death, so the 13th Dan should have taken Bill to school. I don't see how one week of training, Bill could stand in the same room with a 13th Dan. Does anyone else feel this way or is it just me?

Kichigai-no-Okami

Orange Belt
Reaction score
what I wonder about is Bill "fought" against, I can't recall his name, a 13th Dan, and Bill won! This happens through out the shows. How can this be? I know that it's not real combat and all, so everyone save that excuse for the next MMA thread, it's practice, there's no real threat of injury or death, so the 13th Dan should have taken Bill to school. I don't see how one week of training, Bill could stand in the same room with a 13th Dan. Does anyone else feel this way or is it just me?
(Whiskey-Tango-Foxtrot, dude!)Are you serious!? I've gotta see this! when does this air? (Yes, I feel the same way !)