Human Weapon : Ninjutsu Episode featuring Budo Taijutsu!

Omar B

Senior Master
Reaction score
Posting it on Google or Youtube won't do a whole lot of good as it's a copyrighted show. Do a quick search over there for something like "Family Guy" and see how many of the videos have been removed due to copyright laws.

I know about the copyright issues, but there are many whole episodes of Human Weapon already up on Google Video and Youtube. The show is usually broken up into 9 minute segments (from one commercial break to the next) so you end up watching like 4 segments to watch a whole episode.

Or sometimes the whole thing is posted as one huge file, like this one:
http://video.google.com/videoplay?d...=191&start=0&num=50&so=0&type=search&plindex=

Ronnin

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Pablo I think you need to rewatch it. Bruce lost a very close contested match against Bill on the last point in the last round when either could have won. As for Doug he handled Jason easily with the sword. (Easily) Did he make a mistake going H2H well absolutely and Jason capitalized on it but that was just one moment in a two round match that Doug decisively won. Both Bill and Jason are athletes at the highest level. Bill played professional football and this should tell you something that professional athletes that get paid lots of money are extremely dangerous if confronted as they have great attributes. (ie. size, strength, speed, etc.) Jason also is a professional athelte and though smaller he has good attributes as well. It is not enough just to train technique you also need to work your attributes. While I did not think the show was well done it was because they could have done so much better and they had access to the Bujinkan. Still Bruce lost and Doug won. Do not diminish Doug's excellent sword work on one moment in the match when it went H2H. (which could have turned out differently in another moment though we will never know) In either situation Doug and Bruce struck first scored the first point and with real swords that would have been it. It was after all a game of tag!
icon6.gif
(which is enjoyable and fun to do)

Still no excuses Bruce lost and Doug won. Enough said!!! Plus overall the show was just not that good and could have been so much more.
icon6.gif

"Bruce lost a very close match against Bill", see that's the thing.there's no way he should've lost.Take Bill's 10 days against Bruces 15 years ? Maybe it's time to entertain the idea that there are no such things as masters anymore, learn a few good moves, and it's anybodys game.

OP
Brian R. VanCise

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
"Bruce lost a very close match against Bill", see that's the thing.there's no way he should've lost.Take Bill's 10 days against Bruces 15 years ? Maybe it's time to entertain the idea that there are no such things as masters anymore, learn a few good moves, and it's anybodys game.

Well I think a very important thing to remember is that people are people and in general have two arms, two legs and a brain. In the moment anything goes and many people with little to no training have been successful in defending themselves. (sometimes against people with more skill and attributes and a viscious mindset) Would someone who is well trained have an advantage yes, provided they have the attributes and mind set to implement their training. Is their any one person in the world who is invincible? Well no, anyone can have a bad moment in time!
icon6.gif
(some more than others) Sometimes people make to much out of someones rank or time spent studying. I am a realist and athletically and attribute wise Bill and Jason have simply more. (they are professional athletes after all) Still Bruce was close (plus had the first kill shot) and Doug overall took care of Jason.
icon14.gif

I also think it is unfair if people are not counting Bill's athletic career in Pro Football, Collegiate Football, Wrestling and that he is currently traveling the world and training like crazy. These things do matter.
icon6.gif

Laurentkd

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I think we also see a pattern here in that in one on one challege matches they do pretty well. Let's see they defeated the Sambo guy easily, tied with the Savate Champion, beat and looked good against the Pankration guy, looked pretty decent against the eskrima champion, did well against the MMA guy's they faced, etc. The only individual who truly dominated Jason was the Judo Champion and he did lay the smack down. Now, next week is Bill Duff facing off against a Tae Kwon Do champioin and their is video footage of Bill being knocked out cold by a spinning high kick. (wonder if that makes the episode) Overall though they do well in challenge matches.
icon6.gif

Have you seen this footage? where did you find it? It would be cool to get to see some footage of Bill where he isn't talking about his "superior strength" and this may be our only shot!

OP
Brian R. VanCise

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Have you seen this footage? where did you find it? It would be cool to get to see some footage of Bill where he isn't talking about his "superior strength" and this may be our only shot!

Go to Youtube type in: Human Weapon Bill Duff Tae Kwon Do Ko'ed and it should come up. We cannot post the clip here due to competing forum rules. Still it is a good clip.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Go to Youtube type in: Human Weapon Bill Duff Tae Kwon Do Ko'ed and it should come up. We cannot post the clip here due to competing forum rules. Still it is a good clip.

That didn't work for me but searching for just Human Weapon Bill Duff Tae Kwon Do did! (See here at a MT sister forum.) I wrote there: It's a little after 5 minutes in. I'm not sure it's a KO as per the title but it's surely a good solid knockdown.

The TKDer keeps his hands held low rather than up protecting his head. That's often used as a criticism of it...but despite a serious reach disadvantage, he surely scored here!

AceHBK

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
That didn't work for me but searching for just Human Weapon Bill Duff Tae Kwon Do did! (See here at a MT sister forum.) I wrote there: It's a little after 5 minutes in. I'm not sure it's a KO as per the title but it's surely a good solid knockdown.

The TKDer keeps his hands held low rather than up protecting his head. That's often used as a criticism of it...but despite a serious reach disadvantage, he surely scored here!

Wo did he take a shot and he was out on the ground a long time.
I feel bad for laughing but damn...lol

Doc_Jude

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Absolutely this show is not only about the arts but also about the host's journey!

To me, it doesn't say much for the arts that they are displaying if some big former football player with a week or so in an art is smacking folks around.
As for the MMA-er, go hand to hand & grapple with him if you want, but to me, more often than not these final matches show a bit of favoritism, if not being staged outright.

Having two guys like this show so well against tremendously experienced martial artists makes the arts being examined look crap. I've seen Doug cut loose a bit, & I know that he could have really schooled this MMA-er when it comes to weapons. I know it's good to be nice, but the end looked crap to me. Bruce is fast as hell, Bill should have been black and blue from the elbows down.

WesternCiv

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Obi Wan Shinobi
I'm sure if the show's theme was more focused on taijutsu then the outcome would have been alot different....

Jason and Bill have done pretty well in past matchs for a couple of reasons .... first, these guys are accomplished fighters. And as indicated previously in this post, they are also very good athletes. For the most part they also were not facing extremely (with a few exceptions .... judo being one) experienced competitors. The kid Bill fought in the sambo episode looked like he was still in high school!

I don't have a lot of weapons training but my initial impression is that sword work is a very technical discipline --- one that takes years to master. The fact that Jason and Bill did so well against 13th and 15th dans who presumably have trained with swords for more than a week was frankly, shocking.

I could have understood those kind of results if a taijutsu competition had been arranged because the "Human Weapons" do have years of hand to hand training. But the BBT guys should have mopped the floor in a weapons contest.

Disappointing.

Doc_Jude

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
I agree. Knowing what I know about the BBT folks involved, it makes it all the more confusing. Athletics doesn't help you much in technical arts such as weapons, only after you have the requisite skills, then the endurance and speed come into the contest.

Bigshadow

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
If it had been for real, life on the line stuff. Both Bill and Jason would be pushing up daisies! They both would have had fatal wounds the first round of the first match. Of course if you let them keep coming back enough times, your chances of coming out unscathed becomes much higher.

After looking at the video again where I could pause it and step through the part where Jason and Doug were H2H, Jason lost control of Doug the moment he reached for the sword and Doug began to roll out and it appears to me as though the sword actually missed Doug.

stephen

Purple Belt
Reaction score
A lot of the complaining seems to be whining that when you take an amazing paramedic ambulance driver and put him in a stock car against a NASCAR racer he might lose.

Uh, yeah...so...

Whole lotta mistaking the map for the territory.

punisher73

Senior Master
Reaction score
That was actually the first time I got the chance to watch the show. At first I was thinking the same thing that these guys did REALLY well against the rank of people that they were fighting, but then I thought of two things

1) Both of the Bujuinkan guys "scored" the first points and would have obviously walked away in a real confrontation.

2) I remember from reading about fencing that it isn't the second best swordsman the best fears it's the absolute beginner because they have no clue how to use the weapon and you're not sure what they are even going to try and do.

Bigshadow

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The fact that Jason and Bill did so well against 13th and 15th dans who presumably have trained with swords for more than a week was frankly, shocking.

Actually, I thought neither Jason or Bill did well. Initial fatal slices were not delivered by either one of them. In battle that is all that counts.

Bill and Jason's scores remind me of an old saying, "Even a blind chicken finds a kernel of corn now and then!" That is the thing about matches.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
If it had been for real, life on the line stuff. Both Bill and Jason would be pushing up daisies! They both would have had fatal wounds the first round of the first match. Of course if you let them keep coming back enough times, your chances of coming out unscathed becomes much higher.

I agree. Seems like alot of attention is focused on one minor thing, rather than keeping an open mind and looking at the big picture.

After looking at the video again where I could pause it and step through the part where Jason and Doug were H2H, Jason lost control of Doug the moment he reached for the sword and Doug began to roll out and it appears to me as though the sword actually missed Doug.

I noticed that too. Personally, I thought Doug recovered nicely.

Seattletcj

Green Belt
Reaction score
Not if they kept the guys paired up the way they did. Let Nagato-sensei play with Bill, & set Sean Askew loose on Jason. THAT would have been a good show.

Really?
Do you really want to watch the aftermath, and work damage control when Nagato is beaten ?
Seriously?
You dont think its possible?

Sean Askew may be good as far as bujinkan fighters go...but I still dont think he would have lasted very long H2H with Jason Chambers. I could be wrong.

Something that hopefully is starting to dawn on people is that the art is not uber invincible bad *** combat. It is what it is.
The higher you prop people and things up artificially, the higher they fall.