How to toughen up?

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
So, this time, you're just ignoring the usage in the dictionary (which contains both, by the way), and rather than use what you fully know was his meaning, you're just choosing the definition you wish to argue against (strawman). Thanks for clarifying that.
that's not a strawman argument, i chose the definition i wished to argue for, not against

in fact you saying its a strawman argument is itself a strawman argument

Last edited:

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
flinching isn't a protective measure, no one has ever protected themselves from being hit by flinching

therefore it isnt protective mechanism otherwise we wouldn't be discussing how to stop it, we would be discussing how to learn it

no need for a peer reviewed study for that one,
No one... has.... ever......

Okeedokee!

What do YOU think the purpose of flinching is then?

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
No one... has.... ever......

Okeedokee!

What do YOU think the purpose of flinching is then?
i don't think it has a purpose, as i said its learn behaviour, not all learnt behaviour has a purpose, biting finger nails for instance

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
i don't think it has a purpose, as i said its learn behaviour, not all learnt behaviour has a purpose, biting finger nails for instance
Even biting finger nails has an underlying purpose or motive (anxiety, a feeling of being in control of at least something in one's life etc). Whether it actually achieves the goal is another thing.

To me flinching is a reflex which tries to protect vital areas of the body. It may not be successful, but it's the best the body has to deal with very fast dangerous stimuli coming at you (or even perceived dangerous stimuli). Just a biological instinct.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Even biting finger nails has an underlying purpose or motive (anxiety, a feeling of being in control of at least something in one's life etc). Whether it actually achieves the goal is another thing.

To me flinching is a reflex which tries to protect vital areas of the body. It may not be successful, but it's the best the body has to deal with very fast dangerous stimuli coming at you (or even perceived dangerous stimuli). Just a biological instinct.
self harm isn't a motivation or a purpose,

clear the best biological reaction is to move out of the way, 2 million years of evolution and your claiming the best available is to tense up, its not even the best for surviving the blow, which is to relax

ok if its a base level biological reaction why doesn't everyone do it ?

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
self harm isn't a motivation or a purpose,

clear the best biological reaction is to move out of the way, 2 million years of evolution and your claiming the best available is to tense up, its not even the best for surviving the blow, which is to relax

ok if its a base level biological reaction why doesn't everyone do it ?

I suggest you then look into why people self harm. Of course, it doesn't seem to make sense, every instinct/habit seems to be to protect the body, but this goes beyond that to identity, being in such numbness and apathy and wanting to just feel something, anything. Also can be a self punishment, feeling like one deserves it.

There's alot more under the surface of things.

Tensing up works to protect vital organs in the body, hence why we tense up when being hit in the stomach. Pretty good reason I'd say...

As for your last point, no idea! I won't claim to know something I don't know. Perhaps it is an instinct that gains more ground and sensitivity the more you learn to navigate in the world of form. You learn to flinch better to better try and protect yourself (key word being try, and an instinctive reflex, it's the best it's got naturally).

Like a baby learning to walk, it can't do it straight off the bat, but it learns, and it's driven to naturally want to walk on two legs.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I say we start discussing algae. We may actually get somewhere!!
I was surprised I actually knew what that word meant. We had a serious problem with it on a lake a few years ago and I learned way too much about algae.

Last edited:

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I suggest you then look into why people self harm. Of course, it doesn't seem to make sense, every instinct/habit seems to be to protect the body, but this goes beyond that to identity, being in such numbness and apathy and wanting to just feel something, anything. Also can be a self punishment, feeling like one deserves it.

There's alot more under the surface of things.

Tensing up works to protect vital organs in the body, hence why we tense up when being hit in the stomach. Pretty good reason I'd say...

As for your last point, no idea! I won't claim to know something I don't know. Perhaps it is an instinct that gains more ground and sensitivity the more you learn to navigate in the world of form. You learn to flinch better to better try and protect yourself (key word being try, and an instinctive reflex, it's the best it's got naturally).

Like a baby learning to walk, it can't do it straight off the bat, but it learns, and it's driven to naturally want to walk on two legs.
you seem to have inconvieninced a lot of electrons, before coming to the rather obvious conclusion that you know nothing about the topic

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
you seem to have inconvieninced a lot of electrons, before coming to the rather obvious conclusion that you know nothing about the topic
... oh no...

I was referring to your last point there, as to why everyone doesn't do it. I don't know. Am actually willing to admit that as I have nothing at stake here. Just chatting.

I DIIIID presume we were just discussing and exchanging ideas, and not trying to claim the throne of who knows the most? I guess I've inconvenienced more electrons!

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
... oh no...

I was referring to your last point there, as to why everyone doesn't do it. I don't know. Am actually willing to admit that as I have nothing at stake here. Just chatting.

I DIIIID presume we were just discussing and exchanging ideas, and not trying to claim the throne of who knows the most? I guess I've inconvenienced more electrons!
sorry mate, got caught up, we are just chatting

quasar44

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I've recently taken up taekwondo again. I've going from ITF to WT and I could keep my red belt from ITF in the classes.
But I have noticed myself that I am not that tough that I wish I should be with that grade. I flinch, I avoid getting hit and I feel that I perform very sloppy techniques than what is required to my grade.
By "tough", I don't mean like a badass like we see in the action movies or series, but like that I could take a hit or a kick, then go in for another one without withdrawing from the opponent.

This really start to make be a bit demotivated to continue. I really love martial art, but I feel I maybe expect to much by myself?
Do someone of you have some tips how I can improve myself?
You mean TKD ???
You need to Broaden the brush

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
You mean TKD ???
You need to Broaden the brush

Cross-training is great. I don't see it as necessary yet for this guy, nor do I see it as a solution to the problem he presented.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Cross-training is great. I don't see it as necessary yet for this guy, nor do I see it as a solution to the problem he presented.

It would work.

If he did 6 months in kyukoshin for example it wouldn't really harm his tkd but he would train with a focus on toughness.

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
It would work.

If he did 6 months in kyukoshin for example it wouldn't really harm his tkd but he would train with a focus on toughness.

He could also work on his toughness within TKD. Your process has a lot of extra steps in it to solve the problem.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
He could also work on his toughness within TKD. Your process has a lot of extra steps in it to solve the problem.

It has like two steps.

Join a kyuokashin school.

Get tougher.

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
It has like two steps.

Join a kyuokashin school.

Get tougher.

Maybe I should apologize to @jobo for saying he oversimplified something in another thread...because wow you took the cake right there.

quasar44

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I've recently taken up taekwondo again. I've going from ITF to WT and I could keep my red belt from ITF in the classes.
But I have noticed myself that I am not that tough that I wish I should be with that grade. I flinch, I avoid getting hit and I feel that I perform very sloppy techniques than what is required to my grade.
By "tough", I don't mean like a badass like we see in the action movies or series, but like that I could take a hit or a kick, then go in for another one without withdrawing from the opponent.

This really start to make be a bit demotivated to continue. I really love martial art, but I feel I maybe expect to much by myself?
Do someone of you have some tips how I can improve myself?

You can gradually inc the intensity of sparing

Latest Discussions