How do you keep your energy level up?

Shotochem

Purple Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

Lately I have been working more hours, travelling for work and just running myself into the ground. When I am traveling and can't get to the dojo I hit the treadmill and light weights. I also try not to eat too badly but it is difficult when you are away.

When I do get to the dojo lately I feel worn out even before the class starts and have to mentally push myself. I have not been enjoying myself it is starting to feel more like work than fun.

How do I get my energy level up? Have any of you guys been in a similar situation? What did you do that would help?

Thanks,

-Marc-

KempoGuy06

Grandmaster
Reaction score
The eating could be the problem. Eat healthier foods as they tend to give you more energy. If you are dragging that bad, then take a break and let your body rest. You might just be at the point were your body is continually exhausted. Take a couple days off from class and working out, introduce some heathier foods in your diet, and most importantly get some good nights sleep. This should help to revitalize you body than jump back into class. Ive done it and it worked for me.

B

bushidomartialarts

Senior Master
Reaction score
Ditto, plus look at when you eat as well as what you eat. Three big meals, slammed down from the drive through, will make you tired. Instead, try eating snack-sized meals 6 or 7 times throughout the day. You'll experience fewer peaks and valleys.

Also, how much sleep are you getting? I'd bet you the first round of beer it's not nearly enough.

OP
Shotochem

Shotochem

Purple Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
Id bet the second one

B

Looks like I'm buying......:idunno: :drinkbeer

Sleep is definately something I need more of. But, with a little one at home it is not always possible.

I have cut back a bit on my classes, and I will be travelling again in a couple of weeks. I plan on not doing any training, running or weights this time around. I have to eat a little smarter and I really am going to try and get to sleep as early as possible at the end of the day. I just have a tough time sleeping away from home.

With any luck, I can get a bit of a recharge and last long enough to make it to my vacation the end of next month. It's like crossing the dessert.

-Marc-

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, Have you tried? Red Bull, Throttle, NOS, and many more? Once and a while I would drink one before classes....it seems to help some!

Mostly when I am working and when one feels tired or exhausted these energy drinks seems to be a good solutions. INCLUDING all those above suggestions.

Aloha,

tellner

Senior Master
Reaction score
Bad advice from still_learning I'm afraid. I was chronically underslept for years and pushed on through with caffeine. It was a mistake which took a real physical toll.

The others are right, you need sleep and nutrition. Ursula Le Guin had a great quote "Tired is stupid, get some rest." And the Inuit say "Food is sleep," which means that for a while food can be a (poor) substitute for sleep.

You have a baby. That means sleep is going to be problematic for a while. There are ways of training a baby to rest on a more regular schedule, but they take time. You're just going to have to get through that part :) It's perfectly reasonable to cut back on training until then. At least get your own feeding schedule regular. It will help. And try to get what sleep you can as strictly scheduled as possible.

Compared to the little one and work martial arts is plain unimportant. It's a hobby. It's supposed to enhance your life. If it's making you less effective let it slide until you have the energy for it.

Latest Discussions