How to toughen up?

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
you said phycology papers, why would i be fobbed off with wikipedia ?

Actually he said 'psychology' papers. Phycology is the scientific study of algae.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you think you are tough like a tiger, when a deer attack a tiger, that tiger will not turn it's head away. To develop that tiger spirit, you need to be super strong.

If you are a hammer, everybody will look like a nail to you.
I don't think a person has to be super strong, at all, to have that spirit. It can help if one feels super strong, but the attacking spirit can be had without that.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
flinching is a learnt response in people who are used to getting hit, getting hit some more isn't the solution
I think a lot of folks flinch without ever getting used to getting hit. It's a fairly typical natural reflex when something comes at the face. Not flinching is more often a learned response.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
people who have never been hit dont flinch, why would they ?

ok i had a rescue dog a good few years ago, that flinched every time i move my hand in his rough direction,

did i a) keep hitting him in the some what mistaken belief that he would get used to it and stop flinching
b) convince him my hand was not going to cause pain by not hitting him

clue it was B) though i did get bit quite a lot, i just convinced my self it didn't hurt and all was well after about 6 months
What you're talking about is an adapted use of the flinch response. That this exists doesn't mean the flinch is always a learned response.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
all of the time means all points in time, that then obviously includes everyone. unless of course they don't experience time. the only other meaning would be that it happens to these friends of yours continually without ever stopping and that would be silly

so if you didn't mean all of the time, what did you mean
Now you're just ignoring the common idiom, redefining things to mean what you wish them to.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Fair enough, but there are many types of flinch or what somone could call a flinch. its just generla advice if its not something negative dont bother trying to fix it.
Flinching in fight training, actually, IS negative. For the reason DB mentioned (in the post you quoted) and other reasons.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
flinching isn't a protective measure, no one has ever protected themselves from being hit by flinching

therefore it isnt protective mechanism otherwise we wouldn't be discussing how to stop it, we would be discussing how to learn it

no need for a peer reviewed study for that one,
Actually, it is. It may not be effective against a punch, but it is an instinctual attempt to protect the face (probably the eyes). It works all the time against flying insects, tree branches, etc. Our physical reflexes tend to be unspecialized that way.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Now you're just ignoring the common idiom, redefining things to mean what you wish them to.
im not redefining it, its the common idiom that redefined, i'm going with the original and quite obviously the best definition, im not letting commoners drag me down to their level of idiom, because that would make me common as well

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
im not redefining it, its the common idiom that redefined, i'm going with the original and quite obviously the best definition, im not letting commoners drag me down to their level of idiom, because that would make me common as well
So, this time, you're just ignoring the usage in the dictionary (which contains both, by the way), and rather than use what you fully know was his meaning, you're just choosing the definition you wish to argue against (strawman). Thanks for clarifying that.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Actually, it is. It may not be effective against a punch, but it is an instinctual attempt to protect the face (probably the eyes). It works all the time against flying insects, tree branches, etc. Our physical reflexes tend to be unspecialized that way.
so hy do people flinch if there expecting to be hit from behind ? why do they flinch if there expecting to be kicked in the leg,

Latest Discussions