How A Real Man Fights

Shinobi Teikiatsu

Green Belt
Reaction score
I know you all have heard it at one point or another. Somebody finds out about your martial arts training, they're larger, muscle-bound and untrained, they laugh and push you back and say "I bet you kick in a fight! You can't fight like a real man! You'll never be able to beat my muscle!" I've heard the phrase a lot lately and so I decided to see what MT had to say about such people.

Among the things that I've heard from people like that, I've heard that a real man will:

Never throw kicks
Only use fist punches
Only use his muscles
Never attack the eyes or groin
Never go to the ground
and so on and so forth.

Now granted, muscle WILL always beat everything else....in activities that involve muscle or weight, such as hardest strikes, weight lifting or something. And of course, no matter how technically skilled you are, you probably won't be able to beat Andre The Giant in hand to hand combat (unless you happen to be Wesley!), but that's just one variable. I just want to know what my fellow martial artists have to say about statements such as these.

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Statements like that are dependent upon mutual agreement about what a 'Real Man' happens to be. If two people agree that this is what a 'Real Man' should be and how a 'Real Man' should behave, then more power to them. It is no different than 'Marquess of Queensberry' rules regarding boxing. If one agrees to the rules, then that is how one ought to behave.

I feel no need to conform to what another person happens to believe about the status of my manliness. It is of no concern to me.

Haze

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I think real men fight more like this,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

They kick because it comes natural, we did it in the womb.

They bite because we are manly meat eaters.

We strike to the groin and go to the ground because real men are not homophobic.

We strike to the eyes because it reminds us of the Three Stooges and we love a good laugh.

Open hand / slap because it takes me back to those days before racquetball when we played handball and now I found a reason for all those games I played

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
That makes Bill Mattocks the manliest of manly men!

Thanks for the kind words, but I make no claim to being manly. In the immortal words of Popeye, the Sailor Man, "I yam what I yam." When I look in the mirror, I can find love in my heart for the man who looks back at me. That is sufficient to me for now; I am not dependent upon the respect of others so that I may respect myself.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I know you all have heard it at one point or another. Somebody finds out about your martial arts training, they're larger, muscle-bound and untrained, they laugh and push you back and say "I bet you kick in a fight! You can't fight like a real man! You'll never be able to beat my muscle!" I've heard the phrase a lot lately and so I decided to see what MT had to say about such people.

Among the things that I've heard from people like that, I've heard that a real man will:

Never throw kicks
Only use fist punches
Only use his muscles
Never go to the ground
and so on and so forth.

And this is probably the #1 reason why I hate to talk about martial arts or let anyone who would be likely to say stuff like this, to know that I train. Talking to them with any amount of seriousness, would be like trying to talk to a fly...just isn't gonna happen. So...usually when I get these types of comments, I just say, "Yup, you're probably right. You probably will kick my ***." From my experience with this, the people who say that stuff usually are not the type to actually try and attack me, thus, why I brush it off like I do. Now, if they were, well, that'd be different.

Now granted, muscle WILL always beat everything else....in activities that involve muscle or weight, such as hardest strikes, weight lifting or something. And of course, no matter how technically skilled you are, you probably won't be able to beat Andre The Giant in hand to hand combat (unless you happen to be Wesley!), but that's just one variable. I just want to know what my fellow martial artists have to say about statements such as these.

Yet we have grapplers like Royce, who fought and dominated guys much bigger than he was. Now, I'm not saying or hinting that I wanna roll around with the guy in my guard for 30min looking for an armbar, but my point was, that it is possible for the smaller man to win. I mean, if all it took was size and strength, then anyone who trains may as well stop and start injecting themselves with steroids. Besides, if I'm being attacked by someone that big, I'm going to grab the nearest weapon I can get my hands on, and use it. And if that is something someone frowns upon, so be it.

just2kicku

Black Belt
Reaction score
In my opinion, a real man, when driven to the point of fighting, fights to win. I think they should fight to destroy whoever their fighting. If it means kicks, going for the groin and eyes, then so be it.

bluekey88

Senior Master
Reaction score
Personally, when push comes to shove...I WANT to face that "real" man. He just told me what his weakness is....I'm kicking the bejeezus out of his groin and knees. :)

I'm sure he'll feel really good about himself as he ices down his ruptured groin and shattered knee that he got beat up by such an unmanly man as myself. :D

Peace,
Erik

searcher

Senior Master
Reaction score
A real man draws a gun and shoots the loudmouth that is going on about what a real man is.

Real men don't waist more than 5 pounds of pressure on anybody.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I once had a man tell me that if I were a man he'd punch me, I told him if he was a man I'd let him try, then I'd have his balls for earrings.

Reaction score
*dark villainous laughter*
A "real" man, huh? I think I would goad him just a little bit, see if he seriously wants to throw that first punch, whether his friends would back him up because obviously "real men" don't need any help, and see if he has a nearby girlfriend I can utterly embarrass him in front of...

Whip out some zip cuffs on him right as he hits the ground, make him cry like a little girl with some nasty deep joint pain, humiliate him with a good spanking, and press charges when the police arrive. All zipped up and ready for transport. At the very least make sure he spends a night in jail, you could drop charges in the morning... maybe, if he's lucky... someone in there will make a "real man" out of him... LMAO

...such insecurity in himself that he has to pick on someone with smaller arms.

frank raud

Master of Arts
Reaction score
If I beat him, does that then make me a real man? Or does losing to a dirty fighter make him less of a real man? or does the whole arguement not make any sense?

There are two basics to fighting. If you are attacking, go alleycat mental until until there is nothing to attack. If you are defending, defend or avoid until you can attack/counter attack then follow previous advice.

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
As far as I am concerned, one of the most important things to take away from any training in the martial arts is that 'real men/women' do not get into fights that they can avoid.

If you have no other option but to fight then finish it as quickly as you can by whatever means you need to in order not to end up in hospital or the morgue.

A 'fair fight'? Those happen in sport, not in the real world.

OP
Shinobi Teikiatsu

Shinobi Teikiatsu

Green Belt
Reaction score
Yet we have grapplers like Royce, who fought and dominated guys much bigger than he was. Now, I'm not saying or hinting that I wanna roll around with the guy in my guard for 30min looking for an armbar, but my point was, that it is possible for the smaller man to win. I mean, if all it took was size and strength, then anyone who trains may as well stop and start injecting themselves with steroids. Besides, if I'm being attacked by someone that big, I'm going to grab the nearest weapon I can get my hands on, and use it. And if that is something someone frowns upon, so be it.

That's why I gave the example of Andre the Giant, no matter how good of a grappler any of the Gracie family members are, they could never hope to beat him, simply because of his musculature. Fortunately, most people never run into a situation where there's someone with just TOO much muscle, so this is a rare situation.

Reaction score
That's why I gave the example of Andre the Giant, no matter how good of a grappler any of the Gracie family members are, they could never hope to beat him, simply because of his musculature. Fortunately, most people never run into a situation where there's someone with just TOO much muscle, so this is a rare situation.

But even then, if your technique is solid and they don't know the escapes (because again, obviously the "real men" in their argument don't need to train in order to fight, they instinctively pick out the one person around that could seriously hurt them with the least effort... and in the fashion of true stupidity, attack them)... you can always choke the big guys out just like our favorite Dread Pirate Roberts did with Fezzik, lol.

K-man

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score

Never throw kicks
Only use fist punches
Only use his muscles
Never go to the ground
and so on and so forth.

Firstly, as has been already pointed out, a 'real man' will not be drawn into a fight, that can be avoided, to let some dork show how his muscles are big and strong and how he thinks he can defend himself against a Martial Artist. Apart from anything else, s#!t can happen and we don't want to get hurt unnecessarily.
Secondly, Martial Artists do play by the rules:
Rule 1. There are no rules.
Rule 2. When in doubt, refer to rule one.

So in the real world, kick the groin, rake the face and eyes, burst the ear drum, destroy a joint ... whatever it takes to escape the situation. Martial Arts are for our self defence, not to satisfy the curiousity of some muscle-bound moron. :asian:

CoryKS

Senior Master
Reaction score
Anytime you hear "A real man would never do _______ in a fight", what the speaker is really saying is, "I'm going to get my *** kicked if he does _______." It's a tactic to shame you into dropping an effective technique so that the outcome is more favorable to your opponent.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Real men can walk down the street in mini skirts and drop anyone with minimum fuss who attacks them. They then pick up their clutch bags and walk off knowing that justice was done.

sgtmac_46

Senior Master
Reaction score

Never throw kicks
Only use fist punches
Only use his muscles
Never go to the ground
and so on and so forth.

Apparently a 'real man' is an insecure being who is untrained, knows it, and only wants to discuss physical conflict in terms of what he is comfortable with, and wishes to set pre-established rules and limits so that he has some semblance of an advantage..........a 'real man'........otherwise known as a BLOWHARD sissy!

He's the guy that gets his *** kicked time after time, and makes excuses that the other guy 'cheated' by doing something unmanly as NO ONE could ever best him if 'manly rules' were in play......:btg:

Latest Discussions