bodybuilding and marshal arts

OP
jobo

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
then after a couple of years you'll find that the powerlifter is significantly stronger than the bodybuilder. Of course, the bodybuilder will be much stronger than the equivalent guy .
that would depend very much on how you define strengh, the power lifter would be very good at lifting a weight over head once, that's what he has spent years training. He may be not much use helping you put a gear box in, unless there is a need to lifted over his head and drop it on the ground

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
so, then if body building is a generaly heath giving pass time ,that increases the strengh of the person some times quite considerably, why is frowned upon by the bigots on here that start frothing at the mouth at it mention

I don't see anyone "frowning upon" bodybuilding or "frothing at the mouth" regarding it. Just being realistic about what it entails. If you enjoy the sport of bodybuilding, then more power to you. It won't get you as much functional strength for a given amount of hard work as some other forms of training that are focused strictly on functional strength, but that's fine. As long as you get what you want out of the activity, that's what matters.

that would depend very much on how you define strengh, the power lifter would be very good at lifting a weight over head once, that's what he has spent years training. He may be not much use helping you put a gear box in, unless there is a need to lifted over his head and drop it on the ground

Powerlifters build pretty thorough whole body strength. For any strength related task you might want a bodybuilder to help you with, the powerlifter can probably bring more strength to the table. (I'm not a powerlifter, but I respect what they do.)

OP
jobo

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Would the bodybuilder have larger, better-defined muscles?
probably not
I don't see anyone "frowning upon" bodybuilding or "frothing at the mouth" regarding it. Just being realistic about what it entails. If you enjoy the sport of bodybuilding, then more power to you. It won't get you as much functional strength for a given amount of hard work as some other forms of training that are focused strictly on functional strength, but that's fine. As long as you get what you want out of the activity, that's what matters.

Powerlifters build pretty thorough whole body strength. For any strength related task you might want a bodybuilder to help you with, the powerlifter can probably bring more strength to the table. (I'm not a powerlifter, but I respect what they do.)
the whole thread has been people demeaning body building. Body building reps are generaly of more used than strengh reps, is more functional. As it has a greater endurance element built in. Being able to lift 300 lb once is generaly not as usefull as being able to lift 250lb 15 times . Certainly the ability to go long is more useful in a fight. If you can get through the first ten seconds they will tire very quickly

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
probably not
the whole thread has been people demeaning body building. Body building reps are generaly of more used than strengh reps, is more functional. As it has a greater endurance element built in. Being able to lift 300 lb once is generaly not as usefull as being able to lift 250lb 15 times . Certainly the ability to go long is more useful in a fight. If you can get through the first ten seconds they will tire very quickly
Probably around half the people in this thread (at least) do what you consider body building, they're just arguing because of differences in what you and them are considering body building (building your body vs. sport body building). No one is actively bashing body building.

OP
jobo

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Probably around half the people in this thread (at least) do what you consider body building, they're just arguing because of differences in what you and them are considering body building (building your body vs. sport body building). No one is actively bashing body building.
well then they should have read the op as that made the context clear rather than jumping in and telling me i was wrong

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
I'm not sure where to start with this, you seem to be claiming that all people who train strengh are stronger than all body builders, that isn't and cannot. Be true. Some. Body builder are lifting ridicules weights, they may not be as strong as an Olympic power lifter but they are stronger than 99.9 % of the population. Tell me how dead lifting 600 lbs isn't strong and functional
Have not stated nor claimed all strength builders are stronger than all body builders.

I did state; "Strength builder's muscles are usually smaller than body builders yet are overall stronger.
The term usually is an adjective that modifies the terms smaller and stronger to mean not all of them all of the time.

There is a difference in the training and the focus of the training. That is all I have stressed.

I have not read anything on the thread, as yet, that disparages body building. All I have read so far is people stating there is a difference in the focus of the methods. Do body builders do get stronger than those who do not do any type of weight training...Absolutely.

OP
jobo

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Have not stated nor claimed all strength builders are stronger than all body builders.

I did state; "Strength builder's muscles are usually smaller than body builders yet are overall stronger.
The term usually is an adjective that modifies the terms smaller and stronger to mean not all of them all of the time.

There is a difference in the training and the focus of the training. That is all I have stressed.

I have not read anything on the thread, as yet, that disparages body building. All I have read so far is people stating there is a difference in the focus of the methods. Do body builders do get stronger than those who do not do any type of weight training...Absolutely.
no you said they were usually smaller, which in its self isn't true, But that they were stronger. The adjective usually only modifies the first term. You should have written usually smaller and usually stronger , if that what you wanted to convey
however usually is meaninglessly as you have no data at all to recorded what is ussual and what is not.

so all you are offering is an unsupported opinion on the relative size and strengh of two different classes of people

Last edited:

Ironbear24

Senior Master
Reaction score
I have the most physical strength in my dojo, but I am not the best fighter. It helps but is not the end all be all.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Oh, goody, grammar lessons. Gotta' get me some pop corn.

OP
jobo

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I have the most physical strength in my dojo, but I am not the best fighter. It helps but is not the end all be all.
that's the problem here, the term strengh or strong has many different and correct usage. So it can only be measured and compared if you set a defintion and a protocol for measurement. People like to set a defintion that shows themselves in a better light. So it they can bench press a big number they think they are strong, whilst another person may want you to measure press up done in a short time frame as that makes them look best. Or someone who can jump high wants box jumps in there as that also takes great strengh. A boxer with a knock out punch is considered strong, a boxer who can take a punch is also considered strong, but all they have done is stand there.
if you look at say a strong man contest. They mix and match various different types of strengh to get an overall best. So its everything from big low rep lifts to explosive throwing exercises . Short,sharp heavy carries to muscle tearing endurance of a truck pull. Different exercises suit different people, but they have defined a way to measure in comparison and declare a winner. Set it he exercises differently and you may well get a different winner

Latest Discussions