Hapkido schools a dying breed?

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I wrote that you cannot compare the limb connection a BJJ person makes to the joint manipulators in TMA. And yes, it is vastly different in terms of how the body is integrated.

This goes over very well key differences. I really suggest you watch it.

Sigh. A large portion of the posts have been telling you to augment your training. The video reaffirms the point.

Does Aikido even practice from the guard position?

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
The instructor failed to apply it to... guess who.. ME. He tried every trick in the book which even then didn't work.:rolleyes::rolleyes: It was embarrassing.
You have done what exactly? They are comically easy to resist.

We went through this on the other thread, people have trouble putting me in joint locks including my instructor, but I have also used the very same locks on the genial population.

just as people have trouble throwing me or punching me or kicking me, but I can throw, punch and kick people with reasonable reliability.

all techniques against someone of similar physicality depend on speed and surprise, against someone who expects what your going to do and has a techniques to resist they become useless, ALL OF THEM

OP
A

Alan Smithee

Blue Belt
Reaction score
We went through this on the other thread, people have trouble putting me in joint locks including my instructor, but I have also used the very same locks on the genial population.

just as people have trouble throwing me or punching me or kicking me, but I can throw, punch and kick people with reasonable reliability.

all techniques against someone of similar physicality depend on speed and surprise, against someone who expects what your going to do and has a techniques to resist they become useless, ALL OF THEM

what do you train?

OP
A

Alan Smithee

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Sigh. A large portion of the posts have been telling you to augment your training. The video reaffirms the point.

Does Aikido even practice from the guard position?

I do not train Aikido! Aikido does not have any guard/mount training. They are as clueless on the ground against a jiujitsu guy as a Karateka.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I do not train Aikido! Aikido does not have any guard/mount training. They are as clueless on the ground against a jiujitsu guy as a Karateka.
we do ground fighting in karate, but then we did striking and kicking and not much ground fighting when i did jiu jitsu.

you cant really make those sort of claims as arts differ massively from place to place

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
So, this whole time you have been dogging a style you have never even train in. Real smart. You are a clueless individual who could Never be considered a source of information. Boring.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
So, this whole time you have been dogging a style you have never even train in. Real smart. You are a clueless individual who could Never be considered a source of information. Boring.
he has claimed to have spent 4 years studing aikido, before deciding it was useless, which really asks some questions of why it took 4 years to come to that conclusion, it should be obvious in a month, if it is indeed so

OP
A

Alan Smithee

Blue Belt
Reaction score
we do ground fighting in karate, but then we did striking and kicking and not much ground fighting when i did jiu jitsu.

you cant really make those sort of claims as arts differ massively from place to place

Yes I can. The only Karate styles that have a clue on the ground against BJJ are hybrid-mma styles.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't find much videos of Hapkido online (and no schools where I live). Whenever I do find dojang videos of any kind they tend to be quite dated in time and not complete (in any other famous martial art I can get access to full gradings, full classes, etc).

This begs the question, is the martial art of Hapkido a dying breed?
What is available on YouTube will vary greatly by school, organization, and art. Some seem to be more insular (some by design, some simply because they don't market much that way).

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes I can. The only Karate styles that have a clue on the ground against BJJ are hybrid-mma styles.
That's a blanket statement that would require you having visited with various schools in all different kinds of Karate (as the term is pretty generic). Your past statements don't lead me to believe you've done that level of extensive research.

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
That's a blanket statement that would require you having visited with various schools in all different kinds of Karate (as the term is pretty generic). Your past statements don't lead me to believe you've done that level of extensive research.
I'm guessing his research on karate consists of him watching cobra Kai and that's about It

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
well no you can't, you may say it isn't common, but I don't know if that's true

it's certain that karate as originally d vised had a up close and on the ground grappling element to it, that seems not to have been kept up in a lot of modern adaptations.

it's never my choice to go to ground, , it's generally a most disadvantaged position to be in , but if I do then I have techniques that work down there, will it hold up against bjj? not sure probably not, hard to say

Bruce7

Black Belt
Reaction score
I don't find much videos of Hapkido online (and no schools where I live). Whenever I do find dojang videos of any kind they tend to be quite dated in time and not complete (in any other famous martial art I can get access to full gradings, full classes, etc).

This begs the question, is the martial art of Hapkido a dying breed?

IMO it is a good question who wants to know about Hapkido.

One of the students said to the teacher what we all thought, I want to go to Korea to learn TKD, where it all started.
He said, " you would be better off studying Hapkido if he want to go to Korea. The student asked why? He said "TKD in Korea is not the same as it once was and Hapkido has not changed."
IMO He meant the Koreans had already bought the best of TKD to America and there was no deeper knowledge to be found in Korea.
The best Hapkido masters were still in Korea, so if you are go to Korea to improve as a martial artist, studying Hapkido would be the best use of your time.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
he has claimed to have spent 4 years studing aikido, before deciding it was useless, which really asks some questions of why it took 4 years to come to that conclusion, it should be obvious in a month, if it is indeed so
Forrest Gump syndrome. Stupid is as stupid does.

Latest Discussions