Hapkido schools a dying breed?

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Convincing enough to be posted in that highly reputable magazine. Considering the claim and Chois pattern of behavior, I'd say it's far more likely true than not.
Its like you actively avoid the information that puts holes in your ideas, and only focus on the stuff that supports it. It explains why you spent 4 years at a school that apparently teaches how to wristlock incorrectly, then when you acknowledged this went the extreme opposite, stating that wristlocks/aikido do not work at all. Maybe in 4 more years you'll realize some holes in your thinking and find some sort of middle ground.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Its like you actively avoid the information that puts holes in your ideas, and only focus on the stuff that supports it. It explains why you spent 4 years at a school that apparently teaches how to wristlock incorrectly, then when you acknowledged this went the extreme opposite, stating that wristlocks/aikido do not work at all. Maybe in 4 more years you'll realize some holes in your thinking and find some sort of middle ground.
I imagine the school teaches the wristlock just fine. Likely it is the student who is lacking.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not if the laws of physiology remain the same in 4 years time.

They do, and it's also true that I have personally used all sorts of joint locks effectively. Now, I've never trained in Aikido, so you can feel free to claim that they're not the same locks. But I have played with Aikidoka, Hapikdoan, etc, and the locks I use are functionally identical (or at least, I can personally detect no difference) to theirs. And yes, I've used them against people of all sizes, who were certainly doing their best to resist.
Perhaps you should consider the possibility that the problem isn't the lock, but you.

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
A lot of misinformation in such a short thread of non-Hapkido practitioners. Interestingly most of it coming from the OP. @Alan Smithee what you have stated in this thread is from sources that are mostly incorrect. A couple may have some truth but it is stretched I think,so I have some doubts. 'Nuff said.

Oh, one other thing, you might want to refine your search techniques.

OP
A

Alan Smithee

Blue Belt
Reaction score
They do, and it's also true that I have personally used all sorts of joint locks effectively. Now, I've never trained in Aikido, so you can feel free to claim that they're not the same locks. But I have played with Aikidoka, Hapikdoan, etc, and the locks I use are functionally identical (or at least, I can personally detect no difference) to theirs. And yes, I've used them against people of all sizes, who were certainly doing their best to resist.
Perhaps you should consider the possibility that the problem isn't the lock, but you.

You have done what exactly? They are comically easy to resist.

OP
A

Alan Smithee

Blue Belt
Reaction score

The instructor failed to apply it to... guess who.. ME. He tried every trick in the book which even then didn't work.:rolleyes::rolleyes: It was embarrassing.

OP
A

Alan Smithee

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Those same TMA instructors believe that you break your arm if you don't comply, I've heard it been said to my face. The delusion is stroong

Well my arm is just fine and he got NOWHERE. I must be a beast!

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
The instructor failed to apply it to... guess who.. ME. He tried every trick in the book which even then didn't work.:rolleyes::rolleyes: It was embarrassing.
Maybe there's a difference between "the instructor failed to apply it", and "the laws of physiology prevent it from working.

But I'll give you four more years to figure that out again.

OP
A

Alan Smithee

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Maybe there's a difference between "the instructor failed to apply it", and "the laws of physiology prevent it from working.

But I'll give you four more years to figure that out again.

Why would it be different for anybody else? I had no theoretical knowledge of anything.. I just didn't comply. And like I said he tried all manner of things. It didn't distract me one bit to give in. Had he tried all that in a real confrontation... gosh, He would have been perceptible to quite a number of counters when he's scratching his head why the joint manipulation doesn't work.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Researching the TKD Times archives, there was no March 2000 issue. Go figure.

I have asked you before, what point are you trying to make? There are plenty of other sites you can go troll.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Man, wasn't that easy to figure out?;)

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
You have done what exactly? They are comically easy to resist.

Taken people down with joint locks. Wrist locks. Elbow locks. Shoulder locks. Hip throws.
You know, the stuff you claim can't be done.
If you'll tell me which part you don't understand, I'll try to help.

OP
A

Alan Smithee

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Now as for Hapkido and Aikido being nearly identical in the joint manipulation techniques and throws, the founders of each respective styles were both Daito Ryu Aikijujutsu students of Sokaku Takeda.

So it makes sense...

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Why would it be different for anybody else? I had no theoretical knowledge of anything.. I just didn't comply. And like I said he tried all manner of things. It didn't distract me one bit to give in. Had he tried all that in a real confrontation... gosh, He would have been perceptible to quite a number of counters when he's scratching his head why the joint manipulation doesn't work.
I'm not suggesting it's different in that you didn't comply correctly-that would be ********. I'm suggesting that if it wasn't working, that means that instructor was not doing something about it correctly. I don't know what, I wasn't there, but given how you referred to it as a "wrist flick", and referred to only using the arm for strength, rather than the body, I would bet that's where the issue lies.

OP
A

Alan Smithee

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I'm not suggesting it's different in that you didn't comply correctly-that would be ********. I'm suggesting that if it wasn't working, that means that instructor was not doing something about it correctly. I don't know what, I wasn't there, but given how you referred to it as a "wrist flick", and referred to only using the arm for strength, rather than the body, I would bet that's where the issue lies.

I wrote that you cannot compare the limb connection a BJJ person makes to the joint manipulators in TMA. And yes, it is vastly different in terms of how the body is integrated.

This goes over very well key differences. I really suggest you watch it.

Latest Discussions