Hapkido schools a dying breed?

Alan Smithee

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I don't find much videos of Hapkido online (and no schools where I live). Whenever I do find dojang videos of any kind they tend to be quite dated in time and not complete (in any other famous martial art I can get access to full gradings, full classes, etc).

This begs the question, is the martial art of Hapkido a dying breed?

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Not sure how old you are, I'm thinking young.... been at this for darn near 50 years..... there were never that many Hapkido schools...so no.....later

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I don't find much videos of Hapkido online (and no schools where I live). Whenever I do find dojang videos of any kind they tend to be quite dated in time and not complete (in any other famous martial art I can get access to full gradings, full classes, etc).

This begs the question, is the martial art of Hapkido a dying breed?
I thought I already cautioned you about thinking that if you cannot find it on YouTube then it does not exist.

You will not find my cat on YouTube. I can assure you, he most definitely does exist.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I thought I already cautioned you about thinking that if you cannot find it on YouTube then it does not exist.

You will not find my cat on YouTube. I can assure you, he most definitely does exist.

And this is everything that is wrong with martial arts.

Flying cranes imaginary cat fallacy.

OP
A

Alan Smithee

Blue Belt
Reaction score

If something is not on Youtube is pretty indicative. Welcome to the real world. And it's not like I haven't checked if there are any schools in my area...

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
From what i understand, a lot of hapkido teachers teach in tkd schools (and are the tkd instructor sometimes), so you might not find them just looking for hapkido.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
If something is not on Youtube is pretty indicative. Welcome to the real world. And it's not like I haven't checked if there are any schools in my area...
I just did a search on YouTube. I was looking for a video of you wiping your rear end after taking a dump. I couldn’t find one.

Do you exercise good personal hygiene after using the toilet? I couldn’t find it on YouTube. I guess you don’t do it. Do you have a funky sewer-ish smell about you?

OP
A

Alan Smithee

Blue Belt
Reaction score
From what i understand, a lot of hapkido teachers teach in tkd schools (and are the tkd instructor sometimes), so you might not find them just looking for hapkido.

That does happen but TKD include Hapkido joint locks anyway, it's just a reversed emphasis. in the case of TKD a radical reversal. Hapkido tries more to be a jack of all trades.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
ATTENTION ALL USERS:

Please keep the conversation polite and respectful.

Jks9199
Administrator

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
That does happen but TKD include Hapkido joint locks anyway, it's just a reversed emphasis. in the case of TKD a radical reversal. Hapkido tries more to be a jack of all trades.

So now you're an expert on the curriculum in all the many different TKD branches? Must be nice. I think I qualify as pretty knowledgeable after some 50 years, but even then that only applies to the branches I'm ranked in (KKW, ITF, MDK).
And I say you're completely and utterly wrong. TKD can't include Hapkido techniques, because Hapkido didn't exist when TKD was founded.
Certainly there are schools where individual have cross trained in both arts, and may teach both arts. But that is not at all what you're claiming.

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
There's no videos of me doing martial arts on YouTube....guess I must've imagined the last 40 years then....

Seriously you do realise not everyone wants to show off online and are happy to keep to themselves. Shocker in today's world I know where everyone's desperate for likes and follows because apparently that equals achievement in today's world.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Why is that?

giphy.gif

OP
A

Alan Smithee

Blue Belt
Reaction score
So now you're an expert on the curriculum in all the many different TKD branches? Must be nice. I think I qualify as pretty knowledgeable after some 50 years, but even then that only applies to the branches I'm ranked in (KKW, ITF, MDK).
And I say you're completely and utterly wrong. TKD can't include Hapkido techniques, because Hapkido didn't exist when TKD was founded.
Certainly there are schools where individual have cross trained in both arts, and may teach both arts. But that is not at all what you're claiming.

Original TKD was basically Karate. When the ITF got going, General Choi had a 3rd Dan Hapkido master add his joint manipulation moves into the curriculum. This is a fact, and I can give you his name if you insist. The KKW may have joint manipulation from other sources.

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
@Alan Smithee you talk big and you talk a lot. But you haven't actually said what you do (apart from a bunch of hip throws with no training apparently)

OP
A

Alan Smithee

Blue Belt
Reaction score
And I say you're completely and utterly wrong.

"The evidence which many people have found in regards to Taekwon-Do having HapKiDo influence and techniques in it can be derived from several sources. One such source comes from the March 2000 issue of Taekwon-Do Times magazine. In this issue of Taekwon-Do Times magazine a gentleman by the name of Master Chung, Kee Tae from Canada was interviewed and stated that General Choi Hong Hi asked him to teach his (Master Chung Kee Tae who was also a HapKiDo black belt) self defense techniques. Master Chung Kee Tae states that General Choi said it is a very good idea to have the self-defense techniques of Hapkido in our Tae Kwon Do program"

http://www.bluecottagetkd.com/files/6th_Dan_paper_1_.pdf

Last edited:

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score

"The evidence which many people have found in regards to Taekwon-Do having HapKiDo influence and techniques in it can be derived from several sources. One such source comes from the March 2000 issue of Taekwon-Do Times magazine. In this issue of Taekwon-Do Times magazine a gentleman by the name of Master Chung, Kee Tae from Canada was interviewed and stated that General Choi Hong Hi asked him to teach his (Master Chung Kee Tae who was also a HapKiDo black belt) self defense techniques. Master Chung Kee Tae states that General Choi said it is a very good idea to have the self-defense techniques of Hapkido in our Tae Kwon Do program"

We have no idea the legitimacy of that, since it's referencing an interview where the person themselves was claiming they taught general choi. A quick google search on the guy failed to find anything else from general choi or an official source validating this.

What my google search did find though, was that choi officially founded/named his tkd in 1955, while hapkido was not created until 1959, and the paper that you linked seems to be suggesting that general choi started seriiusly looking into hapkido around 1970, 15 years after he founded tkd.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Original TKD was basically Karate. When the ITF got going, General Choi had a 3rd Dan Hapkido master add his joint manipulation moves into the curriculum. This is a fact, and I can give you his name if you insist. The KKW may have joint manipulation from other sources.

It's always entertaining when someone with zero training or experience tries to tell me about the origins of an art I've spent a lifetime studying. Including training with people who were there from Day One.
So please, go on. Tell me more.

A second hand reference to an unsubstantiated claim of a hearsay story.
Yeah. That's convincing.
Stand by your claims. You pretty much assured us that if you couldn't find in on YouTube, it didn't exist. So please, by all means, do show us a video of one of the Founders being taught Hapkido.

OP
A

Alan Smithee

Blue Belt
Reaction score
A second hand reference to an unsubstantiated claim of a hearsay story.
Yeah. That's convincing.

Convincing enough to be posted in that highly reputable magazine. Considering the claim and Chois pattern of behavior, I'd say it's far more likely true than not.