Hapkido instructor claims that jump spinning kicks in TKD came from Hapkido

OP
A

Acronym

Master of Arts
Reaction score
lol what's the saying. Don't try to outbox a boxer. Well this one is don't try to out kick a kicker for me. Friendly sparring, I'll eat a few kicks, at least at that point I hope my sparring partner is kind lol.

Then you will get chopped up at long range. Arm vs leg, which is longer?

OP
A

Acronym

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Which is not a refutation of the statement that they have problems. As someone else mentioned, everything you do opens something else up. Try again.

If it applies to everything then he wouldn't need to single out high kicks.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Nailed it
upload_2020-12-27_18-17-35.png

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Women getting kicked in the groin during high kick
upload_2020-12-27_18-42-1.png

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
You don't need any martial arts training to kick someone in the groin.
You have to at least be at a black belt skill level to be able to kick someone in the groin when they high kick.

D

Deleted member 39746

I noticed a pattern on this forum that people who can't do technique X are the ones who reject it.

I guess that's what we call ego?

If you cant do it, there is little point in including it into your game plan. I wouldnt say translate everything to "its useless to me", but i think you can add that to a lot of things and it works fine.

D

Deleted member 39746

You need to be able to kick to, suprise kick somone with what ever kick you are doing, the first kick you tend to learn is the front/instep kick, so its sort of a low bar. Its pretty simple to pick up as well.

An instep kick is literally, take your leg and move it up aiming with your instep or shin to the target. Not really the hardest thing to do, and you achive a result if you make them flinch anyway.

Black belts for these things tend to end up spinning about all over the place so i have no idea. Seems like a pretty basic upper level sort of counter to something, duck and spin kick them.

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score
Why does it always come back to semantics with martial arts? T.............................. Like if you change all the major tenents in a ideology, can you really still call it the same name?
You can change the major tenents / tenants- just not the Tenets. Sorry, couldn't resist with "Semantics" in thepost.

OP
A

Acronym

Master of Arts
Reaction score
The opposition to head kicks in the old days was well known, to the point that they were left out of the Karate katas. Ironically, they did include an aerial kick - jumping front kick. A pretty goofy technique.

Today you can't get graded without demonstrating a number of kicks, and this school even required spinning side kicks.

That is the extent of the change in the zeitgeist. Even though the katas never got updated,the curriculum did. Some Karate masters added new katas with a mawashi geri but then regretted it (what a sin!).

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I think the issue with head kicks today is that the standing leg can't be targeted in a lot of martial arts sports as defined by the rules
1. You can't target the groin
2. You can't do a back sweep on the standing leg
3. You can't kick into the knee of a standing leg

The rules in martial arts sports pretty much protect the front leg from sweeps, with the exception of the front sweep. Because of the way the rules are set up, people have an inaccurate perception of the high kick.

Accidental kicks to the groin when doing a side kick is considered to be "an accident" and against the rule in martial arts sports,

But in real life application. That's exactly what you want to do and those kicks to the groin are actually good martial arts; the way it should be without the rule set.

Last edited:
OP
A

Acronym

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I think the issue with head kicks today is that the standing leg can't be targeted in a lot of martial arts sports as defined by the rules
1. You can't target the groin
2. You can't do a back sweep on the standing leg
3. You can't kick into the knee of a standing leg

The rules in martial arts sports pretty much protect the front leg from sweeps, with the exception of the front sweep. Because of the way the rules are set up, people have an inaccurate perception of the high kick.

Accidental kicks to the groin when doing a side kick is considered to be "an accident" and against the rule in martial arts sports,

But in real life application. That's exactly what you want to do and those kicks to the groin are actually good martial arts; the way it should be without the rule set.

You can do sweep on the supporting leg in MMA. You can also kick into the knee

Latest Discussions