Hapkido instructor claims that jump spinning kicks in TKD came from Hapkido

OP
A

Acronym

Master of Arts
Reaction score
What is it you think TMA doesn't do that BJJ does? And how do you define "TMA" (the term is inherently vague)?

I didn't say TMA, I said Hapkido. There is no top game, guardplay, sweeps from a guard, etc. NO rolling around whatsoever

Japanese ju jutsu has some of it and that's a TMA in my book.

OP
A

Acronym

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Not sure what you're trying to prove.

You made the claim that the Hapkido schools you saw rarely did spin kicks. I just posted koreans spending a hefty amount of time devoted to just that. Are you following the conversation?

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I didn't say TMA, I said Hapkido. There is no top game, guardplay, sweeps from a guard, etc. NO rolling around whatsoever

Japanese ju jutsu has some of it and that's a TMA in my book.
In the post I quoted, you actually said TMA. Maybe read the quoted post before replying.

As for the Hapkido ground game, I've found it to be pretty variable. Some schools seem to have a reasonable grip on it, while others are pretty bad.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You made the claim that the Hapkido schools you saw rarely did spin kicks. I just posted koreans spending a hefty amount of time devoted to just that. Are you following the conversation?
So, some schools at least in Korea do a lot of spin kicks. You started this thread with something about the origin of jump-spin kicks. Then you got into small joint manipulation. Then you added in some stuff about ground game. What are you trying to prove?

OP
A

Acronym

Master of Arts
Reaction score
So, some schools at least in Korea do a lot of spin kicks.

What are you talking about? Every notable Hapkido expert in the 70s was a spin kicker.

Whang in Sikh

Ji han Jae in Hane of death etc.

OP
A

Acronym

Master of Arts
Reaction score
As for the Hapkido ground game, I've found it to be pretty variable. Some schools seem to have a reasonable grip on it, while others are pretty bad.

Define reasonable grip. If they don't know the fundamentals of submission grappling on the ground (top position, guard, side control, sweeps) they don't stand a chance against anyone passed beginner in BJJ or Judo for that matter

OP
A

Acronym

Master of Arts
Reaction score
. You started this thread with something about the origin of jump-spin kicks. Then you got into small joint manipulation. Then you added in some stuff about ground game. What are you trying to prove?

Because it related to your objection that Hapkido and Taekwondo are differential arts. I quoted a student of an instructor who barely did any joint manipulation and wrist locks, yet trained in a Hapkido school.

What I then did was simply add to his statement that wrist locks are irrelevant on somebody doing a tackle on you, because there is no time to perform it.

The clip posted in response to that was grip fighting without takedowns.

Last edited:
OP
A

Acronym

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Here's more spin kicks from the heartland of the art

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Those are sport competitions between submission grapplers who are taught live resistance training. If you don't know BJJ you will get subbed in 15 seconds.
The problem isn't not knowing BJJ. The guy literally won a BJJ match without doing any BJJ. All he used was a wrist lock. match over.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
You will also note that there is no wrestling takedown in those clips, like the freestyle fighting clip I posted, which gives you no time to apply a joint lock standing, and you won't have time on your back either if all you did is TMA.
Wrist lock applied while standing

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Show me a Hapkido expert subbing a judoka or bjj guy with a wrist lock and I will eat my shoe.
Wrist locks are wrist locks. It doesn't matter which system is doing it. The principles of locking the wrist will still be the same.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
The Hapkido schools that I've been to in the US. don't do kicks like that. You'll see kicks like that in TKD schools here, but not in Hapkido schools here. What you see in regards to Hapkido is probably based on what's popular there. The thing that I often see done in Hapkido schools here is grappling and throws.

Because it related to your objection that Hapkido and Taekwondo are differential arts. I quoted a student of an instructor who barely did any joint manipulation and wrist locks, yet trained in a Hapkido school.
All Hapkido schools aren't the same.

OP
A

Acronym

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Wrist locks are wrist locks. It doesn't matter which system is doing it. The principles of locking the wrist will still be the same.

You can't apply them without controlling the opponent first with wrestling, which is impossible for a Hapkido expert since he doesn't do wrestling in his art.

OP
A

Acronym

Master of Arts
Reaction score
The Hapkido schools that I've been to in the US. don't do kicks like that. You'll see kicks like that in TKD schools here, but not in Hapkido schools here. What you see in regards to Hapkido is probably based on what's popular there. The thing that I often see done in Hapkido schools here is grappling and throws.

Beck Martial Arts - Controversial Hapkido Frequently Asked Questions
What's the difference between Sin Moo Hapkido and other kinds of Hapkido?

Not much. There is a lot of variance throughout Hapkido, with a wide spread of the amounts of focus on particular types of techniques. But to be called Hapkido it should have some defenses versus all ranges and all types of attacks; and it should include kicks, strikes, throws, joint locks, and pressure points. The percentage of time spent on any particular types of techniques varies much more with the particular instructor than with a particular HKD organization or kwan. Sin Moo Hapkido has essentially the same techniques as other kinds of Hapkido.

OP
A

Acronym

Master of Arts
Reaction score

Nor are TKD schools. That doesn't negate the fact that at their core, the content is the same or virtually the same, just intermixed differently

OP
A

Acronym

Master of Arts
Reaction score

I don't believe your anecdote and regardless, the US is hardly representative of a KOREAN martial art. The US is infamous for watering down and destroying martial arts and creating Mcdojos

Latest Discussions