Hapkido instructor claims that jump spinning kicks in TKD came from Hapkido

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
So the Pro MMA Fights that ended with a kick to the head really didn't work?
it doesn't matter if it works, it still leaves the groin and leg open to attack. The mechanics and realities will still be the same.

Kick too high and you'll expose your standing leg. Here I'm sweeping the leg, but I could have easily done a low spinning back kick or high sweep to his knee. Had I been facing forward, I could done a front kick the standing knee or thigh or grown, Had I been in a side stance I could have done a low side kick to the thigh, knee or shin of the standing leg.
upload_2020-12-26_12-28-17.png

If MMA fighters don't know how to exploit the high kick then you won't see them exploiting the high kick.

OP
A

Acronym

Master of Arts
Reaction score
it doesn't matter if it works, it still leaves the groin and leg open to attack. The mechanics and realities will still be the same.

Kick too high and you'll expose your standing leg. Here I'm sweeping the leg, but I could have easily done a low spinning back kick or high sweep to his knee. Had I been facing forward, I could done a front kick the standing knee or thigh or grown, Had I been in a side stance I could have done a low side kick to the thigh, knee or shin of the standing leg.
View attachment 23424

If MMA fighters don't know how to exploit the high kick then you won't see them exploiting the high kick.

Why don't you do MMA and make a lot of money by exploiting these things?

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I don't believe your anecdote and regardless, the US is hardly representative of a KOREAN martial art. The US is infamous for watering down and destroying martial arts and creating Mcdojos
if the sign on the door say they train Hapkido then that's they train, regardless of if it meets your standards or definition of what Hapkido is.

As far as Representing a Korean Martial Art, I'm pretty sure some of the schools would disagree with you on that one. For me personally , I'm not a fan of Hapkido nor TKD. I'm just telling you the what I see here in Hapkido schools here, since you seem to be so hung up on them.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Nor are TKD schools. That doesn't negate the fact that at their core, the content is the same or virtually the same, just intermixed differently
At their core there's a few Hapkido schools that I've been too that don't do the training and fancy kicks that you claim they do. That's what Gerry and I are trying to tell you.

You are taking what you see in the school where you live and on video and assuming that is all of Hapkido

OP
A

Acronym

Master of Arts
Reaction score
At their core there's a few Hapkido schools that I've been too that don't do the training and fancy kicks that you claim they do. That's what Gerry and I are trying to tell you.

You are taking what you see in the school where you live and on video and assuming that is all of Hapkido

Why should I care what they do in the home of Mcdojos and fake lineages, that is the US? Around every corner is a Karate school, often with made up patterns by the instructor. It's the same for TaeKwonDo.

OP
A

Acronym

Master of Arts
Reaction score
if the sign on the door say they train Hapkido then that's they train, regardless of if it meets your standards or definition of what Hapkido is.

Not in the US it isn't. They have a bunch of fake martial arts school with NO lineage, or a fake one.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Why should I care what they do in the home of Mcdojos and fake lineages, that is the US? Around every corner is a Karate school, often with made up patterns by the instructor. It's the same for TaeKwonDo.
No one said you had to care. Those Hapkido schools in the US still exist regardless of how little you care. They don't need your permission to exist.

OP
A

Acronym

Master of Arts
Reaction score
And here we go. The ole "Why don't you do MMA and make a lot of money " argument.

Yes. Why say no to make easy money? Just admit that you would get taken down and choked out in 15 seconds.

Feel free to disprove that and challenge a brown belt in judo or BJJ and post it here.

OP
A

Acronym

Master of Arts
Reaction score
No one said you had to care. Those Hapkido schools in the US still exist regardless of how little you care. They don't need your permission to exist.

The point is that unlike most other countries, capitalist US makes up their own organizations rather than stick to the ones that the art evolved in.

OP
A

Acronym

Master of Arts
Reaction score
This guy is in better shape than you and he did not last long with his Kung Fu.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Yes. Why say no to make easy money? Just admit that you would get taken down and choked out in 15 seconds.

Feel free to disprove that and challenge a brown belt in judo or BJJ and post it here.
The interesting thing about your comments is that you haven't denied the validity of what I said about about the risk of kicking too high.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
The point is that unlike most other countries, capitalist US makes up their own organizations rather than stick to the ones that the art evolved in.
I don't have anything to do with how they run their schools. It's clear you are hung up on the wrong things

OP
A

Acronym

Master of Arts
Reaction score
The interesting thing about your comments is that you haven't denied the validity of what I said about about the risk of kicking too high.

Leg grabs and sweeps are legal in Muay Thai and it didn't kill high kicks.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Leg grabs and sweeps are legal in Muay Thai and it didn't kill high kicks.
Muay Thai is known for the powerful kicks to the legs, knees, and elbows. What they don't have fame to are awesome head kicks. Do they have head kicks that knock people out. Of course, but that goes back to what I was saying. If the head is open then why not go for it. It also goes back to what I've said before about my own training. I don't train to do high kicks to the head, but I'm flexible enough to kick the head. If I see that I can kick the head then I'm going for it., because it's an opportunity and not "the plan."

Pick any Muay thai fight and you'll see that there are significantly more kicks to the legs, abdomen, and ribs than there are kicks to the head.

Back sweeps /spin sweeps are not legal in Muay Thai.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Here's a clip so you can see how the high kicks are sometimes exploited in Muay Thai. You'll also see some mid level kicks being exploited too. There's not much that be done in terms of maintaining balance when you are standing on one leg.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Have you actually been to the US and trained here to make that judgment? This is not my experience. And keep in mind that the US has about 8 distinct regions depending on who you ask(PNW, PSW, Rocky Mountains, Midwest, Southeast, New England, Hawaii, and, Alaska) with their own separate cultures, that are bound to have different martial cultures as well. And the US as a county makes up roughly the same land mass and population of Europe, as a comparison for different focuses.

Unless you've trained in each of the different regions, you can't really make an argument that it's full of mcdojos and the schools there aren't representative of the style. At least not anymore than I can make that argument about england, never having trained there, even if I bulgaria and found that to be true.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score

Latest Discussions