Hammerfist vs. Backfist?

SensibleManiac

Black Belt
Reaction score
I've heard it argued that the hammerfist can injure your wrist bone, if contact is made there, I don't believe it though, unless it hits a brick wall.

I prefer hammerfist, but both do have their uses, the hammerfist is more useful in my opinion.

Nishibi Ryu

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Personally I prefer to use a back fist around the nose area, I don't get a lot of power out of my arm in a back fist situation. The hammer fist is to me more versitile and caN BE USED IN MORE SITUATIONS EFFECTIVLY, ooopps cap lock came on. Standing or on the ground I just prefer it, its a personal thing I guess.

Aiki Lee

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I tend to use a hamerfist in a downward strike mostly to hit the face or the chest if I have someone off balance.

I use a back fist to strike the muscles and nerves on the arms and legs of an attacking limb or into the rib area.

With the hamer fist I'm aiming to hit broader targets and with the backfist I am trying for more pin point accuracy.

I don't see how either is better, perhaps one would be used more often depending on your style of fighting, but I really see them as being two seperate strikes with separate targets in mind.

Guardian

Black Belt
Reaction score
I have to agree with those that say each has it's own unique uses, personally I like the spinning backfist but since it was not mentioned, I would say if I had to choose, the backfist for me would see more use.

kaizasosei

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
The backfist is probably one of the fastest strikes of all. That is why it is great for drawing first blood. If an element of swing can be generated from the shoulder or with a forward lunging motion, it can even be quite powerful and do sufficient damage.
The hammerfist can generate much power very quickly from many directions but is usually easier for the opponent to see and harder to controll in its many powerful applications-plus side is that it doesn't need that much distance to generate power. I think that it is especially suitable for weaker people as well as trained fighters because it is quite natural and does not require much strength or training.

But when i think of striking surfaces, i think that one should be able to strike with almost any part of the forarm, even wrist if one does not hurt oneself at all or minimaly. So anywhere from the fleshy part of hammerfist to the ulna, i believe it's called, to the forarm or elbow(probably one of the most devastating strikes).
The spinning backfist is definately a kind of swing coming not only from the shoulder but elbow also as one should keep the arm bent until after the spin to whip the forarm and fist out close before the moment of impact.

For backfist-Shoulder is powerful, elbow is fast and wrist is an art.

j

kaizasosei

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
sorry for doubling but i just have to add that i think the backfist is similar to a basic iainuki or sworddraw.

Also, a strike which is unusual but interesting is what i learned as the koppoken. Where you press the tip of your thumb very tightly against the side of the middle knuckle of index finger to create a tense striking surface with the knuckle of the thumb. It's dangerous especially following through, i guess one could break ones thumb, but if used well i think can be good. Like with a motion like suddenly putting your palm to your ear, you can hit the underside of the chin and with swinging motions you could strike the temple- but that's already a bit difficult in the heat of combat. I'm thinking it's good for short quick but painful shots.

Holy shizz i just tested it out on my leg and face! ouch!

Latest Discussions