backfist vs other simular techniques

Mace

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Sweeper,
I will use a backfist when my hand is across my centerline near my opposite rib cage. So if my right hand is positioned by my left ribs, say checking on a vertical punch with the left, I'll use a backfist so that my hand can roll and I can pull with my lat and anchor my elbow. I'm not sure if you are in EPAK, but if you are then Alternating Maces is a prime example of this move. I use it from a forward bow to a neutral. Hope this helps.
Respectfully,
Mace

OP
S

sweeper

I'm not in epak but I do know it's use, what I mean is what are the advantages of striking with the knuckles vs striking with the meat of your hand below the pinky.

Mace

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Sweeper,
I find that the advantages of a backknuckle stem from positioning or point of origin of both the body and the weapon. If I do an inward elbow to the solar plexis I can follow up with a rolling back knuckle to the bridge of the nose. If I target the head, I find that when using the knuckles I can graft methods of execution, say from whipping to thrusting to hooking for power. I guess its tough to convey this through forums. The two weapons have there uses and functions and should be used in relation to the body's natural movements. Another good example of what you are asking is why do a horizontal punch instead of a vertical punch, or vice versa. Would you do a horizontal punch to the face of someone standing upright? I personally wouldn't, I would use a vertical. The horizontal at that height puts the shoulder out of its natural alignment, where as a vertical keeps the shoulder in its place so no power is lost. Does this help?
Respectfully,
Mace

Cthulhu

Senior Master
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by sweeper

I'm not in epak but I do know it's use, what I mean is what are the advantages of striking with the knuckles vs striking with the meat of your hand below the pinky.

Well, striking with the meat of your hand below the pinky is just a hammerfist. Different strike, even though it can be delivered on the same line as a backfist.

Cthulhu

OP
S

sweeper

thanks mace that answers my question : )

Cthulhu, that's exactly what I mean, what are the advantages one has over the other when executed on the same line.

OP
I

islandtime

I was wondering about people's opinions on the back fist vs other simular techniques such as a reverse knife hand or hammerfist or even open palm. There are times when a backfist could be optimal but it seems to me more often than not one of these other techniques would be just as effective. My argument against the backfist would be that you run the risk of hurting your hand against someone's skull or other hard target like an elbo depending on the situation.

Obviously there are alot of situations where you don't run this risk and where a backfist is more optimal but I'm refering more to the use of the back fist in a boxing range against upperbody targets.
I am not sure how good a backfist is in a street situation as I don't remember using it in one, but:

In a tournament (point) situation the backfist can be a awesome point getter..
Going over guard and hitting with knuckles on the backfist can be a undisputed point .. Aiming for the area right under the eye is usually my favorite target because even if the head is moved some there is enough room for the strike to be good..

This is also a fine technique for closing the distance.. Properly done it will put you in range for the second technique in your series If the backfist fails it should open up a target for the following strike or kick.

Going over guard with this strike is is importand to cover your rib area as it is the prime area for a good counter.

Gene Gabel:asian:

OP
S

sweeper

I think my "problem" with it is more preference than anything else. some of my freinds use it alot I guess I just don't have a taste for it. the only time I use it is as an inside strike to the face or groin on an outside slip, I use a hammerfist on a backward angle as a follow up from a hook or to set up a hook and a backfist could be used there I guess.

Mace

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Hey Sweeper,
I'll definitely agree with you there. My preference is the hammerfist as well, but I will use a raking backknuckle to the nose to bust it on the way to a hammerfist to the ribs. It does have its uses, but I'd rather use a hammer.
Respectfully,
Mace

OP
S

sweeper

well if posable I would rather go for a hammer to the neck or jaw than open my hand up to control the head.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

well if posable I would rather go for a hammer to the neck or jaw than open my hand up to control the head.

Starting off with a backfist-type motion (possibly a forearm smash, possibly just a reach) then controlling the head is a favorite. It has the added benefit of briefly blocking their view.

Where the head goes, the body must follow--this is a big part of how I fight when I get in close. I'm big enough to get away with it.

OP
F

fissure

From my first post in this thread:
at a shorter distance I like the reverse knife hand. The location of target area (side of the neck) and the already opened hand make for an easy grabbing/grappling continuation at the collar region.
From arnisador's last post:
Starting off with a backfist-type motion (possibly a forearm smash, possibly just a reach) then controlling the head is a favorite. It has the added benefit of briefly blocking their view.
Where the head goes, the body must follow--this is a big part of how I fight when I get in close
Around and around we go, until the circle closes;)

OP
F

fissure

Ears do make nice little 'handles', don't they?:EG:

OP
S

sweeper

it can go either way, if they are the same size as me I like to pull the head forward and out to work elbows or knees if they are taller I would go up and back to open up their mid section or alow flanking or a takedown.

Latest Discussions