The Backfist Strike

bujuts

Green Belt
Reaction score
tshadowchaser said:
me also.
I was taught that it was another version of the punch and that it had more penatrating power with the 2 knuckles
I'll third that. By and large striking with the back fist is fueld and supported by little more than the contraction of the tricep. On impact it is structurally weak. If you elongate the arc (the arc formed by the articulation of the elbow with the fist as at the radius), and drive in the knuckles, with a lowered elbow you can achieve proper anatomical alignment open impact. By this then, you can deliver a back "knuckle" strike (as opposed to a backfist strike), as hard as a plain ol' punch.

Good topic,

Steven Brown
Universal Kenpo Federation

Shaolinwind

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Grenadier said:
I prefer to use the backfist on the more sensitive targets, such as the bridge of the nose or the temples. The backfist is a better focused strike, and for me, quicker.
I second that. Bridge o' the nose. And, bonus, the average opponent isn't going to expect a strike to come from the strange direction from which that strike comes.

Rook

Black Belt
Reaction score
Works like a jab. I doubt you're likely to break knuckles.

Dark

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Two things spring to mind in that video, one is ha ha the pimp got pimp slapped and two is there is a primary example of the maintaining dominance mentality of the so called "street people" being that the pimps body language displaied no signs of attack. Most likely he'd have talked trash and not backed back it up if the other guy walked away. But getting slapped around might have taught himsomething lol...

7starmantis

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Yeah, we use the knuckles as well. Its true, the target determines its effectiveness. However, like several have said, if you can utilize your waiste and generate "twisting" power you can have much more effect with them.

7sm

Adept

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
There are very few instances when I would use a backfist over another strike, such as a horizontal hammer-fist.

Not to say I'd never use it, or that it can't be used, but it's not something I see myself using often.

thescottishdude

Orange Belt
Reaction score
the backfist is meant to be used when it is available, not really as a choice between that and a normal punch. its quicker than starting a new punch from closer towards you.

Kwai chang caine

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Just like any movement I would only use this strike when the oppurtunity presented itself. Any movement or strike has its uses, only when implemented correctly.

jacktnicol

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
i agree that it's all about the target. I wouldn't advise doing a back fist to an area that is too hard for your hand depending on how "soft" your hands are this may very from student to student.

Jack

lll000000lll

Green Belt
Reaction score
rarely do i practice the backfist, i find that it is not as effective as some of my other strikes.

i would agree that is posses a threat of hand injury.

i'd rather use my elbow, wich is much more powerfull and rock solid.

MrE2Me2

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I would agree with all the following that have been mentioned so far.
I use the back of my knuckles in the backfist strike (not the back of the hand).
It can be used like a jab against the temple or the bridge of the nose as an effective stunner.
It can also be used to smash down on an incoming foot.
As well, done in a swinging fashion, it makes a nasty downward foot block.

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I prefer to use the backfist on the more sensitive targets, such as the bridge of the nose or the temples. The backfist is a better focused strike, and for me, quicker.

I'd try it with my "sap" gloves on..

Adept

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I use the back of my knuckles in the backfist strike (not the back of the hand).

Not to pick on you here, but...

The distance between the knuckles and the back of the fist is perhaps an inch and a half. During the heat of an actual altercation, distance judgement is often out. In the training hall, making impact with the knuckles is easy, but with the adrenaline dump, against a moving, aggressive and live opponent, it is easy to mis-judge by a couple of inches. Not to say the knuckle-impact backfist has no use in self defense, but people training it should be aware that even intending to impact with the knuckles poses a significant risk to the hand bones, especially when being used against the head or other hard target.

It can also be used to smash down on an incoming foot.
As well, done in a swinging fashion, it makes a nasty downward foot block.

Not sure I'd like to belt the back of my hand into someones foot if they were wearing shoes, myself!

MrE2Me2

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Hello Adept,

You posted, “During the heat of an actual altercation, distance judgement is often out. In the training hall, making impact with the knuckles is easy, but with the adrenaline dump, against a moving, aggressive and live opponent, it is easy to mis-judge by a couple of inches.”

You also posted, “…people training it should be aware that even intending to impact with the knuckles poses a significant risk to the hand bones, especially when being used against the head or other hard target.”

You are absolutely right here.
I had an instructor you missed with a backfist one night in practice and hit an elbow.
Still, the backfist is a very quick weapon that has significant power when it does land.
(I’ve seen at least one guy go to the hospital from it.)

You posted, “Not sure I'd like to belt the back of my hand into someones foot if they were wearing shoes, myself!”

Against a bare foot the descending backfist makes a dandy fight stopper.
But against a steel toed boot, you are correct here too.

I was taught to use the downward foot block against the lower leg.
The point was to move back and strike the side of a front kick leg (for example) as it swung into range.

But whether I’m striking the top of the kick or the side of it, I usually find that it’s an either/or thing.
Either my block (backfist) lands or I’m in a world of hurt.

Regards, MrE2Me2

Latest Discussions