The Backfist Strike

blackbelt507

White Belt
Reaction score
The backfist is a great "stunning" move that can work well if used properly to a soft area such as the temple or in a downward motion to the nose. A lunging backfist is also effective.

blackbelt507

White Belt
Reaction score
I totally agree with the raking across the eyes. You could do a backfist to the temple, retract and then follow it up with a raking motion across the eyes and face.

kidswarrior

Senior Master
Reaction score
Many good points already, so I'll just add my personal preferences. Love the backfist to the ribs as a 'cheap shot' when they're not thinking about it (As two or three on one, and the 'friend' is standing sideways to me--once I just lightly tapped a senior student, pretty tough guy, in this fashion as a demo, and he dropped straight to the ground--scared me to death). It's also great against the meaty part of arms--or legs (as inner/outer thighs), if in range. The ridge of knuckles makes a kind of cleaver action that cuts into the meat. don't really try it to the face much. As Adept said, in the heat of battle and all, too easy to hit wrong....

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
rarely do i practice the backfist, i find that it is not as effective as some of my other strikes.

i would agree that is posses a threat of hand injury.

i'd rather use my elbow, wich is much more powerfull and rock solid.
The elbow happens at a different range; so, what are you doing that makes it not as strong as a straight punch?
Sean

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Not to pick on you here, but...

The distance between the knuckles and the back of the fist is perhaps an inch and a half. During the heat of an actual altercation, distance judgement is often out. In the training hall, making impact with the knuckles is easy, but with the adrenaline dump, against a moving, aggressive and live opponent, it is easy to mis-judge by a couple of inches. Not to say the knuckle-impact backfist has no use in self defense, but people training it should be aware that even intending to impact with the knuckles poses a significant risk to the hand bones, especially when being used against the head or other hard target.

Not sure I'd like to belt the back of my hand into someones foot if they were wearing shoes, myself!
Not to pick on you but you have to go through the knuckles to get to the rest of your hand; also, you run a risk of knuckle injury any time you use them... ever.
Sean

Latest Discussions