The Backfist Strike

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
What are your thoughts on this strike? This is a strike that is probably found in a good majority of the arts out there. I've done this strike countless times on the focus pads as well as during sparring. However, taking into consideration the small bones in the back of the hand, hitting something hard could possibly lead to injuring the hand.

For myself, I tend to lean more towards using a hammerfist strike. I think its a more powerful hit and the chance of injury is a bit less IMO.

Now, this is not to say that I've dropped the backfist from my bag of strikes, just that depending on the target, I'd probably not pick that as my first choice.

Any other thoughts?

Mike

Grenadier

Sr. Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I prefer to use the backfist on the more sensitive targets, such as the bridge of the nose or the temples. The backfist is a better focused strike, and for me, quicker.

For the other parts of the body that are better-shielded, I'll use the hammer fist instead. Like you said, much less chance of breaking something in your own hand, and against a hard target, such as the top of the skull, you want that safety margin.

Brother John

Senior Master
Reaction score
I'm with the Spider-Muncher...
well......not really. that gives me the geebees

....but I agree with Grenadier.
It's all about WHAT you are hitting.
There are many Good strikes that are bad when applied to the wrong target.

Your Brother
John

samurai69

Blue Belt
Reaction score
MJS said:
What are your thoughts on this strike? This is a strike that is probably found in a good majority of the arts out there. I've done this strike countless times on the focus pads as well as during sparring. However, taking into consideration the small bones in the back of the hand, hitting something hard could possibly lead to injuring the hand.

For myself, I tend to lean more towards using a hammerfist strike. I think its a more powerful hit and the chance of injury is a bit less IMO.

Now, this is not to say that I've dropped the backfist from my bag of strikes, just that depending on the target, I'd probably not pick that as my first choice.

Any other thoughts?

Mike

even in training when i start training back fists it soon turns into a hammerfist.........

I have used to good effect the relaxed back of hand slap to the groin, probably the closest i have come to usinfg the back fist

stone_dragone

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Grenadier said:
I prefer to use the backfist on the more sensitive targets, such as the bridge of the nose or the temples. The backfist is a better focused strike, and for me, quicker.

For the other parts of the body that are better-shielded, I'll use the hammer fist instead. Like you said, much less chance of breaking something in your own hand, and against a hard target, such as the top of the skull, you want that safety margin.

I agree with G as well...

Personnally, I prefer to use the snapping backfist as a set up technique, similar to a jab. I was once taught to use it as a knockout technique and couldn't get over the mental picture of my hand shattering on a skull.

Robert Lee

Brown Belt
Reaction score
If you hit right your hitting with the knuckles not the back of the hand In a back fist. Its not a big hit but can do some damage.

matt.m

Senior Master
Reaction score
I have seen people break with backfist. I am going with the crowd on this one as well. It is all about what you are going to hit.

Franc0

Purple Belt
Reaction score
stone_dragone said:
Personnally, I prefer to use the snapping backfist as a set up technique, similar to a jab.

Same thoughts, kinda. I'm feelin' like the backfist in most MA's is an equivalent to the "jab" with boxing and the like. Depending on when, where and how you hit, it can be a stunner or dropper, which is best followed up with with more powerful shots, when it comes to seriously taking out the opponent. There are several different types of backfists also. The "snapping" backfist as mentioned before, used heavily in point type sparring. The "follow through" type of backfist that precedes the other hands strike ( imagine a right backhand followed directly by a left straight punch), or a spinning backfist, which is another type of "follow through" backhand, and the dead arm "backhanded beeotch slap", and other variables. Along with the hammer fists, backhand strikes have their places too, it's just a matter of knowin' when it's right.

Franco

Jimi

Black Belt
Reaction score
I concur, I would not want to land a backfist to someones chin or the crown of their head, knuckles or not. I agree that striking at the sensitive targets on the face like the nose, eyes/temples and even an ear can cause great stunning effect. I also see that the backfist can come from defensive and offensive movements. Example- lead hand inside parry against a jab/backfist and aim the elbow to fire the backfist as a counter. I also like to use an elbow cover as a sheild then aim and fire. (This shield is much like a thai or fillipino vertical elbow cover/shield except it is horizontal at the shoulders, like a vampire cloaking with his cape. LOL) I also like use a backfist as a follow up to a quick hook, like a tight ridgehand or defensive hook, then aim the elbow and fire. The backfist is very versitle(SP?) and can be done many ways, Wing Chun practioners like to use it as a follow up to a Bong Sao (Bridge Hand) and roll the elbow over the arm to backfist. Kung Fu Theater anyone? PEACE

Gemini

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I don't think of it as a primary strike, but as with anything else we learn, it has it's time and place to be effective.

A friend of mine working as a bouncer had a particularly large fellow in his face one evening trying to intimitate him. This individual was so close that he knew there was no way my friend could do anything, or so he thought. My friend brought his hand up, palm out as to fend off a blow, and Wham! he turned it over and back fisted him taking three teeth out from literally two inches away.

After that, I've never doubted any method of striking when done by someone who knows how.

Dark

Purple Belt
Reaction score
MJS said:

Any other thoughts?

Mike

Well I prefer the back fist for face shots, I have pointy knuckles so they tend to leave open bruises with the back fist. And depending on the exicution there of you can take most people, even other martial artists by surprise with it.

I'm never had a problem with self injury from the strike, though I'm not going for a rib target with the back fist either its purely a temple, face and groin strike.

tradrockrat

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
well, my opinions are pretty well sumed up by the majority of the posters here - there are times and places for every strike, but due to my previous training, the backfist tends to be a snapping strike to vital areas (eyes, nose, groin, etc.), and it really isn't a fist at all - it's a cupped hand (hood of the cobra) and I practice extensively with the set of nine hammerfist strikes we use. I love the hammerfist! :p

BlackCatBonz

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
i generally use the first 2 knuckles as the point of contact for a backfist....the same as i use for a straight punch.
the targets are usually soft tissue or nerves that are close to the surface.

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
i generally use the first 2 knuckles as the point of contact for a backfist....the same as i use for a straight punch.

me also.
I was taught that it was another version of the punch and that it had more penatrating power with the 2 knuckles

pstarr

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Yes, it uses the first two knuckles - most people perform it with just arm/shoulder movement. If you can learn to utilize the power of your whole body with it which requires some special training), it can be a devastating blow and possibly shatter bone.

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, Great point guys....yes the backfist is another weapon to use...quick..fast..and one of our closest weapons.....bridge of the nose,temple area, neck area, groin area..eye sockets...it has it's purpose..use wisely.....

use more as a whipping action and wrist bends at the last moment..for more impact............Aloha

Explorer

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I strike with the knuckles, just like a straight punch. I also use it for quick, snapping strikes. However, I really like it as an uppercut ... to the jaw (S-5; S-6), chin (duh), under the back ribs just above the kidney, under the front ribs ... the thing really hurts.

One motion is snapping the other driving ... if you get my drift.

Fluffy

Black Belt
Reaction score
I'm with Expl. I use my nuckles, and snap as well. I have found the backfist as a great reactive strike.

cali_tkdbruin

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Robert Lee said:
If you hit right your hitting with the knuckles not the back of the hand In a back fist. Its not a big hit but can do some damage.

Right, using your knuckles can minimize possible damage. Also, I think this strike might be better used on soft tissues than on bones.

Latest Discussions