Early Kenpo Pics!

K

Kirk

Originally posted by roryneil
I never noticed before how they are all doing it EXACTLY the same. But I generally stand that way in a fighting stance, always with one hand up and one hand down, to protect from punches or kicks, and with hands relaxed to be ready to throw any weapon (handsword, punch, whatever).

Ooooooh, THAT position! It's a "Kiu Sao" (pronounced "Q Sow").

"Kiu sao serves as a method of moving internal power from the
body, out through the striking surfaces of the hands. "

Typically in Hung Gar Kung Fu though .. no idea why/where it is
in A.K.

K

Kenpomachine

Originally posted by Doc
Heyyyyy. I can't do pictures. What up with that?

You have to attach the picture by clicking in the browse button (mine says examinar, but that should be it) and then choose the file from your computer.

OP
True2Kenpo

True2Kenpo

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Kenpo Machine,

You are correct. You want to click on the browse button and then you will choose the pic from your hard drive. I believe the pic must be a file extension of .gif or .jpeg

Hope this helps.

Respectfully,
Joshua Ryer
UPK Pittsburgh

OP
True2Kenpo

True2Kenpo

Purple Belt
Reaction score
The Budweiser Karate Team-

Attachments

• $budweiser karate team.gif
    $budweiser karate team.gif
    27.9 KB · Views: 1,311

Doc

Senior Master
Reaction score
Originally posted by Jill666
More expert Kenpoists can word this a hell of a lot better, but if you study Kenpo, the stances are a lot less rigid, and the more "traditional" boxing-style guard IS widely used, but more relaxed open-hand guards are used too.

Is one picture, the hands are in front, and open. For an incoming attack, it's quite easy to check from this stance, and counter (especially if you are adept at Kenpo). You won't see a white belt assuming this stance, as it isn't practical for them yet.

Excellent question- I'm sure others can expound! :asian:

The truth is, it was Ed Parker's favorite pose for a picture, and everybody wanted to look like him. I doubt most actually knew the true meaning of the position from the Chinese, or recognized the lead hand position as "Twin Dragons after the Pearl."

K

Kirk

Originally posted by Doc
The truth is, it was Ed Parker's favorite pose for a picture, and everybody wanted to look like him.

Figures.

Too funny.

M

MartialArtsGuy

I somewhat resemble a boxer in stance, for me personally i feel way too exposed standing like in the photostance. Hey can that be a new offical stance in kenpo? we have the forward, neutral, horse, and so on....... but now we finaly have the, photostance!!! :D

But seriously does anyone stand like that while sparring? i tried it once and got knocked around pretty bad. I like the left hand forward strong hand back thing. I notice my motion does not get too flowy anyway unless im in trapping range, or real close. But until than i look like a kickboxer. Alot of exchanging of blows, bobbing and weaving, parrying, sheilding......... I think this part of my training is great for controlling the distance, weather closing or opening.

And besides im not wasting my wonderfull jab. I get kickboxing integrated in with my kenpo anyway. I could not imagine only learning the techniques, forms, and sets.

I too have wondered about that posture. I have never seen it as being as practical or effective as other methods of body positioning.

R

roryneil

I don't know about that. If you are protecting your groin you shouldn't be blocking from chin level if possible.

satans.barber

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by Doc
The truth is, it was Ed Parker's favorite pose for a picture, and everybody wanted to look like him. I doubt most actually knew the true meaning of the position from the Chinese, or recognized the lead hand position as "Twin Dragons after the Pearl."

That's what the cynic in me was thinking all along ;)

Ian.

Ender

Black Belt
Reaction score
duh...I thot so..but i wasn't sure...and my teacher was from the BKF...*L

K

Kirk

Originally posted by Klondike93
How about naming the guys on the Budweiser team?

:asian:

If you can name 'em all, you're more man than I :p

I do see Mr Parker, Trejo, Tatum, and Sanders though ... leaving
11 unnamed LOL.

OP
True2Kenpo

True2Kenpo

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Fellow Kenpoists,

The Busweiser Team consists of the following in this picture-

Top row, from left to right: Richard Plowden, Steve Perrey, Anthony Price, coach Ed Parker; third row Billy Blanks, Steve Walsh, Tommy Chavies; second row coach Joe Palanzo, David Gonzalez, Stuart Hankin, Harry Krebs; first row: Tokey Hill, Tony Young, Frank Trejo; seated: manager Kenny Bloom.

Hope this helped! Good journey.

Respectfully,
Joshua Ryer
UPK Pittsburgh

K

Kirk

Originally posted by True2Kenpo
Fellow Kenpoists,

The Busweiser Team consists of the following in this picture-

Top row, from left to right: Richard Plowden, Steve Perrey, Anthony Price, coach Ed Parker; third row Billy Blanks, Steve Walsh, Tommy Chavies; second row coach Joe Palanzo, David Gonzalez, Stuart Hankin, Harry Krebs; first row: Tokey Hill, Tony Young, Frank Trejo; seated: manager Kenny Bloom.

Hope this helped! Good journey.

Respectfully,
Joshua Ryer
UPK Pittsburgh

Wild .. the guy in front looks like Tatum and the guy by Mr Parker
looks like Sanders