'kara' kanji

satans.barber

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I'm trying to find the 8 kanji that make up 'Spirit of the Tiger and the Dragon' and also 'Kenpo Karate' to use down the side of the menu in our new club website that I'm writing (which, luckily, has 8 sections...!).

I'm doing OK, and have found most of them as reasonable looking images that I can work with, but for some reason the 'kara' one that I've found all over the place looks nothing like the one in Infinite Insights, i.e. the one that's on the Kenpo Crest...? :confused:

The one that I keep finding looks like this:

http://www.kanjisite.com/html/start/rhsinfo/r_kuusora.html

Which is also plastered all over a Google images searck for 'karate kanji'. The one on the crest looks nothing like that though, does anyone know why? Where am I going wrong?

I'd like to have it as accurate as possible if I can...

Thanks,

Ian.

S

shoshiman

Originally posted by satans.barber
I'm trying to find the 8 kanji that make up 'Spirit of the Tiger and the Dragon' and also 'Kenpo Karate' to use down the side of the menu in our new club website that I'm writing (which, luckily, has 8 sections...!).

I'm doing OK, and have found most of them as reasonable looking images that I can work with, but for some reason the 'kara' one that I've found all over the place looks nothing like the one in Infinite Insights, i.e. the one that's on the Kenpo Crest...? :confused:

The one that I keep finding looks like this:

http://www.kanjisite.com/html/start/rhsinfo/r_kuusora.html

Which is also plastered all over a Google images searck for 'karate kanji'. The one on the crest looks nothing like that though, does anyone know why? Where am I going wrong?

I'd like to have it as accurate as possible if I can...

Thanks,

Ian.

Hi Ian,

Try Searching for "China Hand" - the original kanji the okinawans referred to the martial arts they learned from Chinese masters. The "Kara" in Karate you found refers to "empty hand" - the Ginchin Funakoshi's version of Karate Kanji. I think I have the kanji you want but it's on my other computer at home. PM me if you want me to send you the jpgs.

Peace and Respect :asian:

Shoshiman

Y

yilisifu

The character for "kara" that you showed actually is correct; it means "empty." However, remember that Gichin Funakoshi changed the original character for "kara" which was the character for China - THAT "kara" is entirely different from the one you displayed. Perhaps it is that one you're seeking.

OP
satans.barber

satans.barber

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I've done the first 4 butttons, with the first 4 kanji, and I think it looks quite good, what do you guys think?

Here we go:

Attachments

• $mcrop.png
    $mcrop.png
    17.8 KB · Views: 217
OP
satans.barber

satans.barber

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I've finished it off, it looks pretty cool :)

I did end up using the 'empty' kanji rather than the 'China' one, because I wasn't able to find the China one in the same font as the others (shoshiman was kind enough to send it to me, but it was brushed rather than rounded unfortunately). Still, if I come accross the correct one I'll change it!

Looks like this:

Attachments

• $fullmenu.png
    $fullmenu.png
    35.6 KB · Views: 184
OP
satans.barber

satans.barber

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I also made this logo for the top of the page, in a kind of Oriental (yet not too tacky) style:

Attachments

• $logo.png
    $logo.png
    9 KB · Views: 166

Latest Discussions