Early Kenpo Pics!

Kosho-Monk

Green Belt
Reaction score
Your secret is safe with me.... and the World Wide Web!

:ultracool

Kenpobuff

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Thank you all for your contributions to the thread. I enjoy this kind the best.

Doc

Senior Master
Reaction score
Rich_Hale said:
Here's a mid 80's pic of Barbara, and I, when we operated the Ventura Kenpo Karate studio, in Ventura, California.

Rich_Barbara_1_web.jpg
Hey Rich. You still alive dude? Blast from the past.

Gin-Gin

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Great pictures, everyone! :)
Michael Billings said:
A school in San Antonio actually did a painting of she [Barbara Hale] and Howard Silva on their wall. I have it at home and will put a link to it up here or reformat it to meet size requirements for posting. They didn't know who either of the people were until I told them a few years ago. -Michael
I think this is the picture you're referring to Sir...If I'm not mistaken, I believe they got it from Vol. 4 of "Infinite Insights" [thanks for putting it on your website] :asian:

Attachments

• $silva_hale.jpg
    $silva_hale.jpg
    21.3 KB · Views: 435

masherdong

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
That is all pretty cool stuff!! Hopefully, some of my pics will be considered as "old school" guys.

Rich_Hale

Green Belt
Reaction score
Gin-Gin said:
Great pictures, everyone! :)
I think this is the picture you're referring to Sir...If I'm not mistaken, I believe they got it from Vol. 4 of "Infinite Insights" [thanks for putting it on your website] :asian:
I have to comment on this one. As some of you know, Barbara is my exwife, and I remember when she came home form the photo shoot with Howard. Now, I must say, if you have ever met Howard Silva, you know a nicer guy was never put on the planet, so when Barbara told me how much she loved kicking his . . . butt on film, it was surley with total love an respect for the man.

Howard, you are truly a Kenpo teacher who we all admire . . . too bad a "girl' kicked your butt big boy.

With love and respect,

Kenpo_man

Orange Belt
Reaction score
roryneil said:
I don't know about that. If you are protecting your groin you shouldn't be blocking from chin level if possible.
If you stand in a good stance with your knees bent enough you automatically greatly reduce your chance of getting hit in the groin. First and foremost you use proper footwork to avoid being hit. Then I personally would rely on blocking with my legs like a muay thai practitioner. If all else fails, I will use my hands to redirect the kick and I've never had a problem getting there in time. Keeping the hands high has pretty much been proven to be the best policy in fighting. Anyone who questions that needs to spar any good kickboxer and then tell me what happened as a result of keeping there hands low.

Doc

Senior Master
Reaction score
Kenpo_man said:
If you stand in a good stance with your knees bent enough you automatically greatly reduce your chance of getting hit in the groin. First and foremost you use proper footwork to avoid being hit. Then I personally would rely on blocking with my legs like a muay thai practitioner. If all else fails, I will use my hands to redirect the kick and I've never had a problem getting there in time. Keeping the hands high has pretty much been proven to be the best policy in fighting. Anyone who questions that needs to spar any good kickboxer and then tell me what happened as a result of keeping there hands low.
Yeah he sounds like he doesn't have much real world expereince. "Dojo Postures" look really cool, but function is another story. Simply and anatomically correct - "it is much easier to bring high hands down, than to bring low hands up." - Ron Chapél

IWishToLearn

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Heh, especially if you're one of Doc's students who doesn't pay enough attention for his standards. What a joy to watch, I wish I'd brought video lol.

Rich_Hale

Green Belt
Reaction score
Hello Doc,

Yes, I am indeed still alive . . . and kicking. Not as high, or as quick maybe, but I’m still hanging in there. I have included an old picture of Rich Callahan teaching at my school in Anchorage, because this is a picture forum, but the story I’m to tell is one of Mr. Parker and Ron Chapel.

See if you remember this. I was at Mr. Parker’s house one morning for a lesson, when you happened by. Now, I wouldn’t say we actually shared a lesson, because you definitely weren’t having the difficulty I was having doing what Mr. Parker told us to do.

I don’t actually remember the technique we were working on, but its coup de grace was accentuated with a large dose of marriage of gravity.

Mr. Parker kept saying drop your body weight and then he would demonstrate with a big WHOOM! - as he settled into his stance. Then you would show me the same thing, with the same result. WHOOM!

I don’t know if you noticed, or not, but when either of you would demonstrate the technique, Mr. Parkers baby grand piano, would quietly go “bong”. Every time I did the technique . . . nothing.

Then Mr. Parker left the room for a phone call and after a few minutes he came back to the living room and called you away to discuss something in regard to the call.

Well, while the two of you were out of the room, I went over to the piano and jumped up and down, right beside it – trying to get the slightest little tone out of it. Still nothing!

Then I thought if I were to climb up on the piano bench and jumped as high as I could in the air, just maybe I could make that darn piano hum a little. Then I tried to think of what I would say if you, and Mr. Parker, were to walk back into the room, about the time I was just getting ready to jump off the piano bench . . . and decided . . . not to.

It was a lesson in marriage of gravity I will never forget.

Attachments

• $RC_Keith_pp.jpg
    $RC_Keith_pp.jpg
    18.9 KB · Views: 413

Seabrook

Black Belt
Reaction score
Rich_Hale said:
See if you remember this. I was at Mr. Parker’s house one morning for a lesson, when you happened by. Now, I wouldn’t say we actually shared a lesson, because you definitely weren’t having the difficulty I was having doing what Mr. Parker told us to do.

I don’t actually remember the technique we were working on, but its coup de grace was accentuated with a large dose of marriage of gravity.

Mr. Parker kept saying drop your body weight and then he would demonstrate with a big WHOOM! - as he settled into his stance. Then you would show me the same thing, with the same result. WHOOM!

I don’t know if you noticed, or not, but when either of you would demonstrate the technique, Mr. Parkers baby grand piano, would quietly go “bong”. Every time I did the technique . . . nothing.

Then Mr. Parker left the room for a phone call and after a few minutes he came back to the living room and called you away to discuss something in regard to the call.

Well, while the two of you were out of the room, I went over to the piano and jumped up and down, right beside it – trying to get the slightest little tone out of it. Still nothing!

Then I thought if I were to climb up on the piano bench and jumped as high as I could in the air, just maybe I could make that darn piano hum a little. Then I tried to think of what I would say if you, and Mr. Parker, were to walk back into the room, about the time I was just getting ready to jump off the piano bench . . . and decided . . . not to.

That is a priceless story Rich and one I will definintely remember. Thanks for sharing that.

Jamie Seabrook
www.seabrook.gotkenpo.com

Doc

Senior Master
Reaction score
Rich_Hale said:
Hello Doc,

Yes, I am indeed still alive . . . and kicking. Not as high, or as quick maybe, but I’m still hanging in there. I have included an old picture of Rich Callahan teaching at my school in Anchorage, because this is a picture forum, but the story I’m to tell is one of Mr. Parker and Ron Chapel.
Rich Callahan. What a great name from the past!
Yeah we were sharing a lesson. Mr. Parker asked me to come by because he knew that you would be there.

That is truly a great story. There are so many that we have that slip away until someone reminds us. Priceless. I don't know if you know this, but I remember Mr. Parker telling me about you long before we met. He said, "There's this guy Rich Hale coming down from Alaska." He was really excited and said, "You're going to like working out with this guy." He really thought a lot of you and that got me excited as well. I know that the majority of your interaction with Mr. Parker was in private lessons like myself. You were the only one he ever mentioned to me as a possible "training partner." Needless to say, I was bummed when you were no longer available. Even though I facilitated many receiving privates with Mr. Parker, he never ever suggested that about anyone else. Glad to hear you're alive and kicking. My Grandmother, when I would ask her how she felt, would give me a three part answer that I'm sure most have heard the last part. She would say; "Kicking, but not high. Floppin', but can't fly. Can't kill nothin', and won't nothin' die. Sounds about right. Thanks for the memories sir.

Bode

Green Belt
Reaction score
Speaking of the old days and pianos that chimed when EP or Chapel stomped.... here's the piano.

Wait just a minute! I have had discussions online with people who say there is no proof that Doc ever trained with EP? Clyde! Where are you! (You know I have to call you out on this one. It's only fair) Maybe Mr. Hale is lying as well. Doc is pretty sneaky, maybe he brainwashed him! Eh... doesn't matter.

What I love about this pic is Doc's hair.

Attachments

• $Parker_Chapel.jpg
    27.3 KB · Views: 344

Kembudo-Kai Kempoka

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hey Bode!

Doc, no doubt, used his conversational powers of influence to hypnotize Mr. Hale into confabulating the whole thing. Plus, the picture has to be a doctored fake...DOC HAS HAIR!!!

Regards,

Dave

Doc

Senior Master
Reaction score
Bode said:
Speaking of the old days and pianos that chimed when EP or Chapel stomped.... here's the piano.

Wait just a minute! I have had discussions online with people who say there is no proof that Doc ever trained with EP? Clyde! Where are you! (You know I have to call you out on this one. It's only fair) Maybe Mr. Hale is lying as well. Doc is pretty sneaky, maybe he brainwashed him! Eh... doesn't matter.

What I love about this pic is Doc's hair.
Lighten up on the hair dude. Your day will come. I got lots of pictures, just don't know how to upload them. That picture is actually from Ranier Shulte's site.

(Deep breath) in all fairness I don't believe Mr. O'Bryant has been a part of the group that suggests I'm not a Parker black belt. He has other "issues."

Reactions: MJS

Rich_Hale

Green Belt
Reaction score
Okay, I admit I may have made up the entire story . . . but only because Doc made me. He said if I didn't go along with it, he would smack me with the piano.

KENPOJOE

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Doc said:
Lighten up on the hair dude. Your day will come. I got lots of pictures, just don't know how to upload them. That picture is actually from Ranier Shulte's site.

(Deep breath) in all fairness I don't believe Mr. O'Bryant has been a part of the group that suggests I'm not a Parker black belt. He has other "issues."

Hi folks!
To add a pic, simply place said picture on whatever webspace your ISP provides you with for free and add said pics to the webspace! if you need any assistance,Doc, please call me and ask!
parkerandrebelo2.jpg
This is from Bryan Demelo's studio in New Bedford, Massachusetts in 1988
LET'S SEE IF THIS WORKS!

dubljay

Master of Arts
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
KENPOJOE said:
Hi folks!
To add a pic, simply place said picture on whatever webspace your ISP provides you with for free and add said pics to the webspace! if you need any assistance,Doc, please call me and ask!
{IMG}http://members.aol.com/kenpojoe/parkerandrebelo2.jpg{/IMG]This is from Bryan Demelo's studio in New Bedford, Massachusetts in 1988
LET'S SEE IF THIS WORKS!
You used { instead of [ for the img code. To insert an image the code should look as follows.

Code:
 [img]http:web-location-of-your-pic.com[/img]

Latest Discussions