Drill 1 step 1 punch 1000 times

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
So is it safe to perform high reps of push ups everyday?
300-xxx
Yeah not too sure. To me it's actually a pretty natural bodyweight movement (whereas some weightlifting exercises done too often can cause issues). I would say yes it'd be fine, but only as long as it was balanced out with pulling movements. Pushing muscles tend to get overused and you can easily develop imbalances by doing them too much. Slower punching isn't as weight-loaded a movement as pushups, but yeah there would need to be more data from those who have done it. I'm pretty sure many have done that sort of thing, just not sure of consequences long term

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Something I think I need to make clear here, speaking as a Xingyiquan guy, we're a bit nuts. Copious repetitions of the same thing, that can be painful, are not uncommon but we keep doing it and tend to like it too. Heck we'll stand motionless in one position for extended periods of painful time and we want to stand longer.

Xingyi is not flashy or exciting, it is however rather direct. There have also been some who say that the reason the Chinese army picked Xingyiquan for their military during WW 2 was because they could train these postures on the march and that would go for miles.

So doing piquan for a mile on a beach, although rather commendable these days, is likely not as uncommon for the style historically speaking. There is a story of one Xingyi practitioner who was put in prison for a year or years (sorry I can't remember) and he was shackled... so all he could work on while in prison was half step bengquan... so he did..... and that may, or may not be, why there is half step Bengquan today....either way... it points to xingyi folks being a bit off.... and that is probably why I like xingyi classes and seminars so much

OP
Kung Fu Wang

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
speaking as a Xingyiquan guy, we're a bit nuts.
When you train the XingYi system, you want to get that correct "feeling". After you have experienced that feeling, it's like drug dictation that you want to do it everyday.

The term Xing can also mean walking. The XingYi system emphasizes on footwork. To walk 5 miles in the morning daily is a common requirement for the XingYi students. The main strategy for this system is "Even if you can't find any opportunity to attack on your opponent, you just keep moving. When you are moving, soon or later you will find that opportunity to attack." This strategy is the opposite of the Taiji strategy that "If you don't move, I won't move. If you move, I'll ...".

IMO, the main training in this system is to start from visible power generation and end with invisible power generation. During the beginning training stage, For each and every punch, you want to knock a hole through your opponent's body. During the advance level training stage, you want just to send your arm out. This fit the old saying that said, "The power that you can feel is not your true power. The power that you don't feel will be your true power".

I have tried to repeat the following drills 1000 times non-stop:

- Taiji brush knee,
- Long fist kick, punch, punch,
- Preying mantis hook, back fist, uppercut,
- Baji groin kick, back fist,
- SC hip throw, knee seize,

I have difficulty to drill those combs 1000 times non-stop. IMO, XingYi drills are much easier to do for 1000 times non-stop.

Last edited:

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I played with some of the walking drills I have this week, to see which could be reasonably "softened" to this kind of practice. I don't see myself going for 1,000 of anything, but there are some I might use for a couple hundred repetitions. Found one I can alter to put more emphasis on mobility in low stances (good leg work, and still didn't seem to bother even my knees).

OP
Kung Fu Wang

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I played with some of the walking drills I have this week, to see which could be reasonably "softened" to this kind of practice. I don't see myself going for 1,000 of anything, but there are some I might use for a couple hundred repetitions. Found one I can alter to put more emphasis on mobility in low stances (good leg work, and still didn't seem to bother even my knees).
I try to replace my 3 miles running by MA footwork training. This way I won't feel guilty when I run. I like to try this "skip footwork" 1000 times non-stop. It may be possible.

- Right leg make big step with uppercut,
- Left leg move next to the right leg.
- Right leg step in again.
- Left leg make big step with uppercut,
- Right leg move next to the left leg.
- Left leg step in again.

So far, the following drill is still the easiest one for me. I can even drill it 2000 times non-stop without any problem. It's just 1 single punch with simple footwork.

This can be a fun one to try too.

Last edited:

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
The term Xing can also mean walking. The XingYi system emphasizes on footwork. To walk 5 miles in the morning daily is a common requirement for the XingYi students. The main strategy for this system is "Even if you can't find any opportunity to attack on your opponent, you just keep moving. When you are moving, soon or later you will find that opportunity to attack."

Agreed to a point, xingyi, although it does not prefer it, can stand and fight without moving.

This strategy is the opposite of the Taiji strategy that "If you don't move, I won't move. If you move, I'll ...".

Usually, but not always, at least not in taijiquan as it comes from Tung Ying Chieh.

IMO, the main training in this system is to start from visible power generation and end with invisible power generation. During the beginning training stage, For each and every punch, you want to knock a hole through your opponent's body. During the advance level training stage, you want just to send your arm out. This fit the old saying that said, "The power that you can feel is not your true power. The power that you don't feel will be your true power".

Mingjen (Obvious Power), Anjin (Hidden Power), Huajin (Neutralizing Power)

OP
Kung Fu Wang

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Mingjen (Obvious Power), Anjin (Hidden Power), Huajin (Neutralizing Power)

1. Physical - Mingjen (Obvious Power),
2. Mental - Anjin (Hidden Power),
3. Spiritual - Huajin (Neutralizing Power).

I can understand 1 and 2. I don't know what to expect for 3. I have seen GM Chang used XingYi Heng Chuan to knock his opponent 45 degree up in the air (Chinese Cultural University, Taiwan, 1980 summer). May be that's Huajin (Neutralizing Power).

Last edited:

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So far, the following drill is still the easiest one for me. I can even drill it 2000 times non-stop without any problem. It's just 1 single punch with simple footwork.
This has some of the same feel as the one I'm building out of an old drill. I'm putting more angles in the movement (because I tend to stay too linear), but the simplicity and concept is similar.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
1. Physical - Mingjen (Obvious Power),
2. Mental - Anjin (Hidden Power),
3. Spiritual - Huajin (Neutralizing Power).

I can understand 1 and 2. I don't know what to expect for 3. I have seen GM Chang used XingYi Heng Chuan to knock his opponent 45 degree up in the air (Chinese Cultural University, Taiwan, 1980 summer). May be that's Huajin (Neutralizing Power).

Three Steps of Development in Xingyiquan - by Di Guoyong

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score

Yeah that's something I really want to understand, and I'm sure that's something that takes time.

Master Shigeru Egami spoke quite a bit about this:

The idea of harmony and the way may seem fragile and weak for a beginner or those that place value on physical strength, but there is nothing stronger than harmony and the way, because they are placed on the highest peak of the search within a martial art.

On the technical aspects, the consequences of the change from hardness to lightness are: My techniques changed, from dispersion to concentration, from body hardness to strength through lightness. All searches for a natural state, the state that has the effect of rejuvenating body and spirit.

During this questioning I understood one thing. Until that moment I had practiced karate with a fundamental illusion, I had confused hardness with stength and I made every effort to harden my body thinking that I would obtain more strength when hardening the body is equivalent to stopping the movement. This is a fundamental defect. I had then to start massaging and lightening the body I had struggled so many years to harden.

I decided to start again from zero, totally rejecting all that which I thought I had acquired till that point.

My goal would be to attain naive and spontaneous forms and movements, as if I were a beginner again. When I tried with this attitude I discovered that I obtained a higher effectivity. I then understood the teaching of Master Funakoshi: “You must never go against nature”.

I really enjoy what he writes, it's so different to alot of other thoughts I've read on power generation...

Plenty more articles:
Master Shigeru Egami Library

Primal Monk

Orange Belt
Reaction score
As long as each of the 1000 is top quality. Perfect symmetric form, full power, arhythmic. You want slight but valid variations between each strike, whilst performing image training/mentation (shadow box/kickbox/fighting). "Did that punch hit him as hard as the first? No? Was it close? No? Hit harder." "If that didn't affect him, could I dodge a counter attack? No? Move better." One of the best marathon runners in the world basically sprints the entire race. His marathon pace is faster than normal people can sprint 20m. That's what you're working towards, in principle. Try running just a mile without sagging at all, maintain completely symmetrical and tight posture, with complete body control, forefoot striking, no swaying, perfect balance at each moment, learning how to absorb and redirect forces better and better... just improving form, concentration and right-effort more than anything else. It'll be completely exhausting. That's what you have to do for everything: More power, better form, faster, longer, more aware, thinking 10 steps ahead.
Just sitting still I'll notice I'm swaying slightly side to side (minutiae), slouching, etc. and will correct myself by tightening my core, glutes, pushing through my feet into the ground, straightening my neck, setting my shoulders down and rolled back, straighten and tense the back and spine, relax overly tense muscles, expand the rib cage and use my breath to expand the body and do a slight stretch and shift of weight, general posture and form stuff. The specifics change but put all your effort just into sitting or standing correctly, and put all your effort into just walking or running correctly, and put all your effort into just lunging and punching correctly, etc. This is like 1000's of reps, each day. If you're hurting from just correcting your own posture, you have to realize you still have more to learn: My shoulder hurts right now because I wasn't tensing my glutes (max n med) and core enough, nor engaging the spinae erectors that depress the ribcage yesterday, my back and rear delts are too weak and unengaged, and more. Doing so now feels very good. I still feel "body dumb" all over. It's sort of like being numb and dull, even if it's "normal".
Your posture though should be in preparation to fight if ambushed, respond to a crisis, and longevity. Militaristic, if you will. Correct posture isn't correct if you can't move, turn or stand from it (if sitting). Think of a tiger I guess. The more you try to correct posture and movements, the more you realize your range of motion is limited.

So if you're going to do 1000's of something, it should start with correcting muscle engagement in posture and basic everyday movement. The simplest exercises are monumental tasks that challenge your fine motor control system. Your knowledge of anatomy and biomechanics will sky rocket, and will be with you serving you for the rest of your life. You'll see others move and be able to see 100 mistakes in a single movement. Boost your body intelligence and each repetition has more meaning. You'll be fresh even after a debilitating amount of training, because you did so with body intelligence. Just doing a quick light warm up and dynamic stretch will prepare your body for any intensity of physical exertion. You'll be ready to be a martial arts master.

Primal Monk

Orange Belt
Reaction score
So is it safe to perform high reps of push ups everyday?
300-xxx

You don't even know how to do one correctly (no one does); you'll hurt yourself or have slow results. Kinesthetic, bodily, kinetic intelligence comes first. Develop body consciousness by feeling each individual muscle and learning how to tense/relax individual muscles, feel individual bones and tendons, ligaments, tissues, even your skin, apart from every other. You can do training like that most of a day vs push ups. Someone posted about lightness vs hardness, where they prioritize lightness, which is legitimate. Learn how to feel extremely light, and as if your body was breathing, and increase push ups according to your level in that. I'm pretty sure, as is supported by chinese traditional medical theory and personal experience, that copious amounts of raw garlic and onion, sour fermented foods, and meditation, will help you along very quickly.
Refer to my previous post if you want further clarification on where to put your focus.

Last edited:

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
You don't even know how to do one correctly (no one does); you'll hurt yourself or have slow results. Kinesthetic, bodily, kinetic intelligence comes first. Develop body consciousness by feeling each individual muscle and learning how to tense/relax individual muscles, feel individual bones and tendons, ligaments, tissues, even your skin, apart from every other. You can do training like that most of a day vs push ups. Someone posted about lightness vs hardness, where they prioritize lightness, which is legitimate. Learn how to feel extremely light, and as if your body was breathing, and increase push ups according to your level in that. I'm pretty sure, as is supported by chinese traditional medical theory and personal experience, that copious amounts of raw garlic and onion, and meditation, will help you along very quickly.
Refer to my previous post if you want further clarification on where to put your focus.

Actually no, it is not supported by TCM. Copious amounts of anything are bad.

Primal Monk

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Actually no, it is not supported by TCM. Copious amounts of anything are bad.

It engages the metal element (clarity, respiration) which the lung and large colon are of; they circulate energy, as all strong, pungent, spicy (not hot) foods do. I'll add that sour foods are also a good idea, such as kimchi and sauerkraut, are beneficial as they are to do with the wood element, which affects clarity and breathing as well.

Orange Belt
Reaction score
You don't even know how to do one correctly (no one does); you'll hurt yourself or have slow results. Kinesthetic, bodily, kinetic intelligence comes first. Develop body consciousness by feeling each individual muscle and learning how to tense/relax individual muscles, feel individual bones and tendons, ligaments, tissues, even your skin, apart from every other. You can do training like that most of a day vs push ups. Someone posted about lightness vs hardness, where they prioritize lightness, which is legitimate. Learn how to feel extremely light, and as if your body was breathing, and increase push ups according to your level in that. I'm pretty sure, as is supported by chinese traditional medical theory and personal experience, that copious amounts of raw garlic and onion, sour fermented foods, and meditation, will help you along very quickly.
What are you even talking about?

Martial D

Senior Master
Reaction score
It engages the metal element (clarity, respiration) which the lung and large colon are of; they circulate energy, as all strong, pungent, spicy (not hot) foods do. I'll add that sour foods are also a good idea, such as kimchi and sauerkraut, are beneficial as they are to do with the wood element, which affects clarity and breathing as well.
I once asked you what martial art you trained in and for how long. You chose not to answer.

Have you considered making an introduction thread? At the moment you seem to be some random guy typing nonsense. Perhaps some context vis a vis where you are getting all this crap from would be helpful.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I’ve got to be honest: this comes across as pure gibberish.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
This, too.

Latest Discussions